Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I've been told today that the bushings of lower control arm were extremely worn out, both sides, when trying to do wheel alignment on my 06 tribeca. The dealer asked for 450 for each side (they said bushings are built in control arms) which unreasonably expensive, later I found a website sells bushing.

So, my question is, is there only one type of bushing on the lower control arm, and if so, how many I need for each side?

Also, they said my front CV axles are spitting grease out, both sides, which cost another 450 for each. I also found a place sells CV joint boots separately which seems the part I need, am I right?

Thanks,:busted_cop:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Btw I saw the pictures of my CV axles, they are not split or cracked, just some grease spitted out.

·
Registered
746 Posts
The "hockey-puck" bushings cost about $15 each and can be replaced. Perhaps the dealer doesn't have a hydro press, or just prefers an easier way to make money, out of retail mark-up on costly parts instead of extra labor. My suggestion would be to buy new control arms at a discount, under $200 shipped for each side, and DIY. Comes out cheaper than having just the two bushings replaced by a shop, and you get 4 new bushings and two new ball joints. That's what I am going to do. In my case, the dealer did offer to replace the rear bushings only, and quoted over $600. A how-to guide for control arm replacement is already posted. Those bushings are, for all intents and purposes, a wear item.
If the CV grease is leaking from under the smaller ends of the boots, new clamps will stop it. Another known problem.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Your shop needs to pay for their Christmas vacation to Hawaii. Find a different shop that vacations in Florida.

There is another potential bushing other than the rear hockey pucks. There's the liquid filled ones. Ones often refereed to 'rear' (hockey pucks) and 'lower' bushing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The "hockey-puck" bushings cost about $15 each and can be replaced. Perhaps the dealer doesn't have a hydro press, or just prefers an easier way to make money, out of retail mark-up on costly parts instead of extra labor. My suggestion would be to buy new control arms at a discount, under $200 shipped for each side, and DIY. Comes out cheaper than having just the two bushings replaced by a shop, and you get 4 new bushings and two new ball joints. That's what I am going to do. In my case, the dealer did offer to replace the rear bushings only, and quoted over $600. A how-to guide for control arm replacement is already posted. Those bushings are, for all intents and purposes, a wear item.
If the CV grease is leaking from under the smaller ends of the boots, new clamps will stop it. Another known problem.
Is there a way to check how much grease already lost in Boots?

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I wouldn't worry about how much grease leaked out. Unless it is all over, it wasn't much. Even a full tear takes a while to really get the grease out. I think changing the whole lower control arm is a bit overkill but a reasonable solution if you don't have time to take it to a machine shop to press in and out the bushings (NAPA). Are you in the rust belt? If so, be extra careful with the pinch bolt on the ball joint. Start soaking it now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts