Subaru B9 Tribeca SUV Forum banner

'06 Straight Pipe

5K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Thomasmryan 
#1 ·
Has anyone done a cat back straight pipe to their B9? Does it sound good? Is it too loud? Does it change the sound at all?

#4 · (Edited)
I have plans to "hogzaust" my 2008. Very soon hopefully. I have been scouring Youtube for videos of other H6 Subarus (both the 3.0 and 3.6, I assume they sound pretty similar). After listening to enough hogzaust, aftermarket muffler, muffler delete and straight pipe H6’s, I’m pretty convinced that I want to do something. They sounds pretty sweet, even if they don’t have the same turbo flat 4 Subie rumble. My wife supports this as well so why not? I think I will start with the hogzaust option because it is by far the easiest and cheapest option. I will use that to gauge the exhaust note and overall volume to help me determine what direction I want to with options, i.e.: keep the hogzaust (questionable and ghetto I know), go with an aftermarket muffler, do a muffler delete, ect.

Hogzaust info, if you’re curious:
http://legacygt.com/forums/showthre...d-power-patented-washer-technology-35764.html

I’d suggest going to Youtube and searching for things like:
“Subaru 3.0/3.6 muffler delete”
“Subaru 3.0/3.6 straight pipe”
“Subaru 3.0/3.6 hogzaust”

You’ll get a nice range of videos to give you an idea of what to expect. I wouldn't be surprised if the Tribeca was slightly different from the examples you find, given that the exhaust system may be a little different in some regards. It cant be THAT different though being the same motor.

I'm really curious too, if anyone has messed with the exhaust. It's too quiet in my car...I need an engine response whenever I floor it... :(
I agree, Tribecas are super quiet. Some are into that, but I like hearing my cars (within reason).

#6 ·
Just remove the mufflers and you will know exactly what it will sound like. It will really depend on what you do with the non-muffled exhaust, running short of the back will probably cause a lot of resonance. You could run some tips to quiet it a little, or a single resonator upstream.

Generally speaking H6s are prone to droning especially in automatics, I have tried a 3" muffler on my forester with an h4 and it was horrid driving it. If you want more noise just go to a muffler shop and have them put in some magnaflow or borlas in place of the stock cans. That by itself will provide lots noise over stock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.