Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
how much did all this cost? and its hooked up to the navi screen, and im guessing when you shift in reverse it automatically comes on?

·
Registered
146 Posts
The install was $100 (plus tax), the camera $164.49 with shipping (Amazon).The whole thing came to about $275, but that is much cheaper than getting it from the dealer. It is WELL WORTH the cost. If you decide to go this route, you might want to add the audio aux feature for IPOD. I don't really need it and it would have been $179 more (from the auto electronics shop that installed my camera).

The Nav screen immediately goes to the camera as soon as you put the car in reverse.

My only complaint would be, could be a bit brighter picture, but the detail and general picture quality are great. I am able to accurately determine how far things are from my back bumper -some guess-work involved, but easy to do.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Thanks for the update. The guys who installed it, told me they got a bit confused :crash: but then realized what you meant. I'm sure this will clarify it.

Don't get me wrong. If you hadn't posted your previous instructions, it would have made the install much more difficult spelled E-X-S-P-E-N-S-I-V-E. What you've added will make it a breeze.:tup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Going to give this a shot. Just to confirm, did you just pull the screen, and not the radio unit? I'm a little confused on which was removed. Thanks. On a separate topic, I successfully added the Parrot 9100 to my 06 Tribeca. Couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I used a this one.

works excellent...good picture...night vision...
the worst part was running the wire to the front of the car :headwall:

$90.00 plus $8 shipping on eBay and about 3 hrs of my life..hahaha

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you! And I _may_ have just realized.... Does this mod only work if you have the Tribeca with Navigation unit?

Rephrased - it's dawning on me this won't work with the "info/trip computer" screen, and I can't easily replace that info screen with a standard composite screen.

Could you clarify?

For a "Base" Tribeca 2006 without nav, I'm starting to think it's better to go with an aftermarket rear-mirror camera?

Also - I'm OK with wiring (at least in a house) though the prospect of running cable through the A pillar means potentially triggering the airbag. Not sure how overstated this concern might be, just learning and reading posts...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Thats too bad, as the nav screen equipped models are set up to add camera quite painlessly. Keep in mind I have no idea what I am talking about so only do anything I would do at your own risk. (I hate Lawyers)...I would just cram the wire behind the plastic cover on the A pillar and not try to remove it. It should hide pretty well. My 2011 outback had a rearview camera in the mirror so, again, check junk yards and you may find one pretty cheap. You may find the stock screen/mirror AND the camera. It should be pretty simple to connect to the existing wire harness up by sunroof. All Tribecas are pre wired for the compass mirror. (I added one to mine and the harness was there). You may even get lucky and the harness will match, providing a clean power connection. You'd still need to run the reverse light interconnect to the screen somewhere. However, going up there may he easier than tearing apart the dash. Keep me posted!!

21 - 35 of 35 Posts