What Rear-facing Car Seat will fit in 2008 Tribeca? - SB9T.com
SB9T.com

Go Back   SB9T.com > Tribeca Owners' Lounge > FAQ/Pre-purchase Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2015, 12:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default What Rear-facing Car Seat will fit in 2008 Tribeca?

We're thinking of upgrading our 2006 Forester to a used 2008 Tribeca for our growing family, but I cannot find a rear facing infant carseat that will fit in behind either the passenger or driver and still allow adequate room for the driver and front passenger. I am 5'10. Any suggestions? We currently own a Chicco Keyfit30 and that doesn't fit...
bstack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2015, 08:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hi bstack11

The middle row seats in the Tribeca do slide back up to 15 inches I believe. I am not sure of the 5 seat models, but on the 7 seat models, they have a two stage method to move the seat. To move the seat as far back as it can go, lift up the seat bar bar to move the seat back as far as it can go. Next pull on the orange release and lift the bar again to move the seat back some more. That's it.

You can refer to this image for more guidance.
http://www.cars101.com/subaru/tribec...-interior7.jpg

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/tribeca/tribeca2008.html

You can also check out the cars101 website for more information on the Tribeca. Tons of information on the Tribeca. Other Subarus too. It is a privately run website that is not affiliated with Subaru, but a Seattle Subaru dealership.

Last edited by laufu; 08-03-2015 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Typos
laufu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Moderator Elite

The Chicco car seats do seem to be rather large. I test fitted one in our tribeca and with the base (which makes it even longer) you had to move the front seat up a bit.

The push to make rear facing infant seats go up to 30lbs has unfortunately made them rather not infant sized. It's not like the back seat of the Tribeca is small by any means and you can make it work, but I sometimes wonder how I ever got a seat in the back of my '03 Forester.

2018 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid

2006 GMC Envoy XL

2003 Subaru Baja 5MT Sport

Former Subarus:
08 Tribeca
12 Impreza
03 Forester
95 Outback
Wiscon_Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2015, 04:41 AM   #4 (permalink)

Default Thanks!

Thank you for the insight! We're going to back to see the Tribeca today to check the fit-up the carseat, after having slide the middle row all the way back to the third row seat. Yesterday as my wife checked out the car, she was not aware of how to make the second row slide through the second stage. I'm really hopeful the carseat will fit well after having made the seat adjustments.

Thanks again!
Old 08-04-2015, 06:31 AM   #5 (permalink)

It will, once your slide it all the way back with the extra lever there is an astonishing amount of room. Can't imagine a car seat that couldn't fit in there.
tdelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 06:32 AM   #6 (permalink)

well i am 6'4 and my infant seat came with the stroller (eddie bauer), i had it in the middle and it would touch the shoulder of my seat, even with the middle row all the way back. Looking at most other suv's in this segment not many offer any more room then the tribeca though.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:50 AM   #7 (permalink)

*addendum* with any normal sized human in the front seat. Sorry, Dodik
Old 08-04-2015, 12:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks everyone, after adjusting the middle seat back to meet the 3rd row, the infant carseat fit well! Looks like we'll be a Tribeca family very soon!
Old 08-05-2015, 08:52 AM   #9 (permalink)

FYI - You can go three-across (two FF carseats and an infant carrier) in the Tribeca if the infant goes in the middle and the FF carseats are Diono Radians, which are about 4-6" slimmer than the standard FF carseat (yet very highly rated from a safety standpoint). For reference, we had a Keyfit 20 infant carrier/base setup.

We also did the aforementioned three-across setup in our 2004 Forester for three months until we bought the Tribeca... it was tight, but it worked fine.

Another option is to drop the second row seat on the passenger side and put the RF carseat in the third row. There are obvious downsides in both access and lack of lower anchors in the third row, but if frees up some leg room in the third row (in case you have to put a 4-7 year old back there) without cramping a 6'0+ driver.
psygnal11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 05:17 AM   #10 (permalink)

Across our second row of seats we have a Graco bucket which is fairly wide (to drop an infant carrier into) behind the passenger seat, A booster with arm rests in the middle, and the Diano Radian behind the driver seat. My 8 month old is big enough to go in a second Diano Raian which will be rear facing and replace the bucket behind the passenger seat. An FYI, the Radian is the only carseat I've seen advertised that will fit 3 across the backseat of ANY midsize car, and they are quite a bit thinner then most other seats. They are sturdy and heavy because they have a metal skeleton frame.
Turtles_ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 07:44 AM   #11 (permalink)

This is the Forester (obviously)... as you can see in the third picture, there's no clearance between the carrier and the Radians... it's as snug as snug can be.

Before anyone questions safety, I can attest that all three were anchored tight and had zero lateral "give".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 1.JPG (396.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2.JPG (430.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg photo 3.JPG (436.9 KB, 6 views)
Old 08-06-2015, 07:52 AM   #12 (permalink)

Thanks everyone! After testing our carseats with moving the second row all the way back, we found we had plenty of room for both the carseats and the driver and front passengar. We bought the 2008 Tribeca Limited (66,500 miles) last night!

Thanks again!
Old 08-06-2015, 11:13 AM   #13 (permalink)

Enjoy!

Change the serp belt, idler and tensioner bearing.

Change the transmission fluid with subaru ATF-HP and front and rear diff fluids.

Change the plugs and coolant and brake fluid.

Inspect your CV boots up front and make sure they aren't torn and that they have they have a green inner cup. If they don't and you notice a vibration in drive with foot on brake or a vibration at about 40, you know what to change.

Change your front sway bar bushings to eliminate the clunk over bumps.

Sounds like a lot, but mostly just standard maintenance with a few subaru unique issues.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:34 PM   #14 (permalink)

Well done. Good to hear you got the car you wanted and kept the car seats that you wanted.

Now what to do with the stroller... kidding
Old 08-10-2015, 07:05 AM   #15 (permalink)

For reference, the Chicco stroller does not fit in the rear "cargo" area, but when I drop one of the third row seats, I can fit both the Chicco stroller and a double-wide toddler stroller, and still have room for the beer cooler.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:36 AM   #16 (permalink)
Moderator Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by psygnal11 View Post
For reference, the Chicco stroller does not fit in the rear "cargo" area, but when I drop one of the third row seats, I can fit both the Chicco stroller and a double-wide toddler stroller, and still have room for the beer cooler.
The most important thing with kids is definitely the beer cooler

2018 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid

2006 GMC Envoy XL

2003 Subaru Baja 5MT Sport

Former Subarus:
08 Tribeca
12 Impreza
03 Forester
95 Outback
Wiscon_Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:01 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by psygnal11 View Post
The Joovy Caboose, a tandem stroller, will fit in the cargo area if the front tray and the sun shade are removed before loading the stroller. I had room for six (2,2,2) plus that stroller. Sadly no room for the beer cooler.

Tags
carseat, rear-facing