Oil usage - SB9T.com
SB9T.com

Go Back   SB9T.com > Tribeca Owners' Lounge > FAQ/Pre-purchase Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2011, 12:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Oil usage

Hi I am new to the forum and am thinking about buying a 2008 Tribeca Limited with 36k miles on it. I have read on a couple other sites complaints about how much oil the 2008 engine uses and compression issues. Anyone have any issues or feedback on this? I fell in love with the Tribeca when driving a rental around Indiana a few years back. Found a great deal just not sure if it's too great of a deal and if a 2009 tribeca would be better to wait for. Thanks.
Arinca2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2011, 06:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

I haven't had any oil usage issues with my '07, but mine has the 3.0, not the 3.6.
SubieDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

I have a 2010 Limited with 16,500 miles......from new to about 14/15,000 miles it used about 1 quart between changes.....since then, it has stopped using oil all together.......use synthetic (German Castrol) from the first oil change (3,000) on, and will continue to use this product.......
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2011, 05:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have an 08 Tribeca Limited that is my wife's car. I had posted a thread a few months ago asking the same question because the Tribeca was burning a quart every 1000 miles. It turns out the rings were bad and long story short is Subaru replaced the short block on the motor. My suggestion would be to make sure you purchase a certified vehicle. Buying the added warranty more than paid for itself. She still loves her Tribeca.
tommlev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:51 AM   #5 (permalink)

The oil dip stick is right at the low line on our 09 tribeca with 26,000 miles on it with dealer oil every 3750 miles. This last oil change had the stick with oil to the middle between holes. Its been 3300 since last oil change.

Wonder how many Tribecas have this concern?
LORE BECA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:07 AM   #6 (permalink)

Subaru H-6 engines are hard to get a true reading, in my opinion.....the 3.6 such as yours, holds 7 quarts of oil with filter......if it is reading on the lower line, then you are a quart low, with the engine hot and you have waited 5 to 10 minutes before you checked it and are using dino oil.......I have found that when mine is cold it will always shows below the top line...however, I use synthetic which expands and once it gets hot and I check it, it generally will be on the top "full line" or close to it.....

My suggestion is to always check it when it is hot after you have waited 5 to 10 minutes......I usually check mine when I get fuel......check it after I have filled up and have gone in to pay......if you are not doing this, try it and see if you don't get a better and more consistent reading.......

If your dealer is not putting 7 quarts in, I suggest that you take your own oil in at the time of service and asked for the empty bottles back.....that's what I do and give the bottles to the "Boy Scouts" who collect plastics and alum cans to make money...

this is my 2cents worth, and hope it works for you..........
Old 10-19-2011, 01:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

Do Subarus in general burn oil?
Oil changes bring it to the top line as I have checked and it is at the lower line after sitting for 10 minutes.
Is that one quart or two?
Old 10-23-2011, 01:34 AM   #8 (permalink)

The turbo engines do burn oil. The NA boxers are easier on oil. I used to have oil burning issues when I first had my B9 for a year. It had 17k miles when I bought it and used Mobil 1 5W30 and 0W30. Once I switched to Castrol 5W30 Edge, oil consumption went away. Now I use Pennzoil Ultra 5W30 and it doesn't burn oil at all in Guam's high heat and humidity and 5k oil change intervals. I think all Subaru's burn Mobil 1 5W30 and 0W30. My STI drinks this stuff. I used German Castrol 0W30 and consumption went away.
STIGR-Wagon-Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:17 AM   #9 (permalink)

I use the dealership BLEND which is not MOBIL 1 and I am seeing 1.5 quarts in 3,300 miles in a vehicle that has 26,000 miles on it. Has the 3.6 motor. I was about to switch to Mobil one and start 5000 mile intervals, but if it burns more then that's a no go!

I have had many vehicles and only noticed burning of oil after 120,000 miles on all of them at the 3000 mile mark/interval oil change down by 3/4 quart and never over 1 quart.

Subaru tells me industry standard 1 quart in 1200 miles, I call it bad engineering. And this is a non TURBO.

We like the vehicle so far, but having to check oil every fill up of gas on a brand new car is ridiculous.

Last edited by LORE BECA; 10-23-2011 at 06:26 AM.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:23 AM   #10 (permalink)

Subaru needs to come out and say to go thicker on oil due to burning issue.
Or fix what the problem is instead of having customer get frustrated of taking it in for oil consumption test every 1200 miles for 4800 miles.
I can tell you that even if it is a 3/4 quart in 1200 miles it is unlikely that a first time SUBARU owner will be buying a second one. They will relate it to bad design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STIGR-Wagon-Dad
The turbo engines do burn oil. The NA boxers are easier on oil. I used to have oil burning issues when I first had my B9 for a year. It had 17k miles when I bought it and used Mobil 1 5W30 and 0W30. Once I switched to Castrol 5W30 Edge, oil consumption went away. Now I use Pennzoil Ultra 5W30 and it doesn't burn oil at all in Guam's high heat and humidity and 5k oil change intervals. I think all Subaru's burn Mobil 1 5W30 and 0W30. My STI drinks this stuff. I used German Castrol 0W30 and consumption went away.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:30 AM   #11 (permalink)

Wonder how many here have switched to German castrol AND HAD OIL STOPPED burning off?

Is you interval 3,750 or 5000 mile oil changes now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy
I have a 2010 Limited with 16,500 miles......from new to about 14/15,000 miles it used about 1 quart between changes.....since then, it has stopped using oil all together.......use synthetic (German Castrol) from the first oil change (3,000) on, and will continue to use this product.......
Old 10-23-2011, 08:52 AM   #12 (permalink)

I am like Stigr......have used Mobil in previous car and used oil like crazy.....I too had oil consumption until around 17,000 miles and now with Castrol Syn 0-30 (German Castrol), my oil consumption has gone away.......I would try a different brand of oil......even when you change, it will probably use some until it gets used to the new oil that you are using.......if you still are having the problem, I would go with a 5w40 wt oil.......the German Castrol is a heavy 30 wt oil, and I think that is one of the reasons I don't have oil loss issues now....I have only found this oil at Auto-Zone....says European Blend on the front and on the back, it says made in Germany......I also run this oil in my wife's MB, another Mobil 1 car that the dealer used, and was using a quart every 3 to 4000 miles....switched to German Castrol and within 5,000 miles, the oil consumption was gone.....Mercedes says ever 10,000, and I change every 5,000 miles or six months...on the Beca, since it is still under warranty, I change ever 3750 miles....my first Blackstone oil analysis with on the Beca using German Castrol, told me to go 6,000 because the additives were still that robust after 3750 miles.....you have a great car, keep working with it and this too shall pass....
Old 10-23-2011, 03:49 PM   #13 (permalink)

i've read on NASIOC that Subaru in the 90's spec'd their engines with 10W40. They switched oil to 5W30 to increase fuel mileage. The Subaru repair manual specs 5W30 but if you are driving in severe conditions, you can use 5W40 or thicker.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:35 AM   #14 (permalink)

Dealer says 5w 30 and now with the newer SUBARUS some are going to 5w20. I wanted to switch to mobil 1 synthetic to go every 5000 miles but with oil consumption AND reading that mobil 1 may burn off more then usual, may stick to dealer dino every 3750 miles until they figure out if there is any other problem.
Reading in this forum about ring job on another post with exact same concern as mine. Dealer does not want to say, yea they all burn and no need wasting your time coming in for oil consumption. Or try a thicker oil.

It is just strange to me on such a low miles non turbo, no diesel vehicle to start burning/venting off this much oil.

Dealer
Quote:
i've read on NASIOC that Subaru in the 90's spec'd their engines with 10W40. They switched oil to 5W30 to increase fuel mileage. The Subaru repair manual specs 5W30 but if you are driving in severe conditions, you can use 5W40 or thicker.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:38 AM   #15 (permalink)

GERMAN CASTROL at almodt 9 dollars a quart and needing 7 quarts is pricey. Wonder if the edge would do better then Mobil 1?
I have extended warranty and stick to the 3750 miles, I think SUBARU allows 5000 intervals??

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy
I am like Stigr......have used Mobil in previous car and used oil like crazy.....I too had oil consumption until around 17,000 miles and now with Castrol Syn 0-30 (German Castrol), my oil consumption has gone away.......I would try a different brand of oil......even when you change, it will probably use some until it gets used to the new oil that you are using.......if you still are having the problem, I would go with a 5w40 wt oil.......the German Castrol is a heavy 30 wt oil, and I think that is one of the reasons I don't have oil loss issues now....I have only found this oil at Auto-Zone....says European Blend on the front and on the back, it says made in Germany......I also run this oil in my wife's MB, another Mobil 1 car that the dealer used, and was using a quart every 3 to 4000 miles....switched to German Castrol and within 5,000 miles, the oil consumption was gone.....Mercedes says ever 10,000, and I change every 5,000 miles or six months...on the Beca, since it is still under warranty, I change ever 3750 miles....my first Blackstone oil analysis with on the Beca using German Castrol, told me to go 6,000 because the additives were still that robust after 3750 miles.....you have a great car, keep working with it and this too shall pass....
Old 10-24-2011, 12:35 PM   #16 (permalink)

I thought that the oil change intervals on non-turbo engines is 7.5K? 3750 is for the turbo engines. I do 5k because I do a lot of short stop and go drives, with hills in high heat/humidity here on Guam. Anyways, Subaru does also spec thicker oils in the repair manual for severe conditions.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:44 PM   #17 (permalink)

That's what I thought too, but dealer says 3750 which is not what is in the BOOK.
Quote:
I thought that the oil change intervals on non-turbo engines is 7.5K? 3750 is for the turbo engines. I do 5k because I do a lot of short stop and go drives, with hills in high heat/humidity here on Guam. Anyways, Subaru does also spec thicker oils in the repair manual for severe conditions.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:42 PM   #18 (permalink)

The 3750 change is for heavy duty type driving ie, stop and go as in mostly city driving, towing a small trailer or boat trailer, etc.......I do the 3750 because I live in the mountains and have a lot of hills which causes more stress that normally I would not get if I lived on flat ground.....the 7500 is the normal (turbo's being the exception), not sure what normal is......the best solution is to do an oil analysis and let them tell you how your engine is doing on the oil that you are using and see if they can possible help you figure out why your Beca is using oil.......I would also pull off the bottom engine cover or shroud or what ever it is called to see if you have any leaks anywhere...

Yes $9 bucks is a lot to pay for a quart of oil, but I wait until Castrol Syn goes on sale and get 5 quarts and a filter for $29.00......since both of my cars use the same oil, I usually stock up at this time and get the filters for my MB and use OEM filters on my Beca while it is under warranty......
Old 10-25-2011, 11:18 AM   #19 (permalink)

I'm about ready to do an oil change and received a discount coupon in the mail from our local auto parts and 5 qt. Castrol with K&N oil filter is on sale with rebate. I have 2 questions and please bear with my ignorance:

1) Which one is the "German Castrol"? a) Syntec or b) Edge?
2) What do you think about K&N oil filters for Subaru H6? Is it better or just as good and equivalent of Subaru OE oil filter?

Thanks in advance for any inputs..... and I apologize for hi-jacking the thread....
sb9tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:55 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb9tango
I'm about ready to do an oil change and received a discount coupon in the mail from our local auto parts and 5 qt. Castrol with K&N oil filter is on sale with rebate. I have 2 questions and please bear with my ignorance:

1) Which one is the "German Castrol"? a) Syntec or b) Edge?
2) What do you think about K&N oil filters for Subaru H6? Is it better or just as good and equivalent of Subaru OE oil filter?

Thanks in advance for any inputs..... and I apologize for hi-jacking the thread....
it's 0W30 and it says "made in Germany" on the bottle. Castrol just recently changed all the bottles and printed "Edge" on all of them. One will say Edge with syntec (which is just syntec) and Edge with titanium.