Tribeca Vs Legacy - SB9T.com
SB9T.com

Go Back   SB9T.com > Tribeca Owners' Lounge > FAQ/Pre-purchase Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2010, 11:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Tribeca Vs Legacy

Hi All

Currently have Legacy estate (UK 2010) with Satnav in White.

1st Subaru and great car ..... Dilemma ....

Current Bad weather in Scotland 3ft of snow has resulted in me querying whether change to Tribeca (extra height and bhp) will provide better Subaru experience in terms of:-

1 - Snow driving (better clearance with height difference and extra bhp to get through snow)

2 - Comfort - advised Tribeca is more comfortable than Legacy Is this True?

3 - AWD - Is it just as good as Legacy, Same, or better in Tribeca?

Finally, Tribeca is no longer sold in UK resulting in very good supply of SE5 and SE7 models with 20,000 miles for 13K Sterling...... Good price for well specced Subaru...

Any experiences and thoughts would be very much appreciated.....

Many thanks

Scott
SJL71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2010, 12:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

Welcome!

I drive an 06 Tribeca and it is great in the snow. Gas mileage is alot worse then a leghacy but you get more power and just like you said it sits up higher. I live in Buffalo,NY so we get alot of snow and I have never once got stuck. I also have a Subaru Impreza hatchback and it handles great in the snow too but sometimes of we get 2 feet or more of snow it does build up while driving. I think that both vehicles are great choices for you but the Tribeca sits up higher so if you are getting alot of snow throughout the winter season it may be a slightly better option for you. Good luck!

- Alex
Old 12-27-2010, 12:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Smile Tribeca ownership

Hi Alex

Many thanks for your update.

It helps to get some advice from owners of either vehicle.

Hindsight is a good thing..... originally thought Tribeca would be better but swayed by styling and look of current Legacy.

Do you use Snow tyres on yours and if so what kind would you recommend?

The 2008 model that I am looking at has some mods applied from your 06 model which Subaru applied to the new model.

How do you find the comfort of vehicle on long term journey's and are there any downsides/features that I need to know about?

Best Wishes for New Year 2011 from Snowy Scotland

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2010, 02:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

Cool

I use all season tires on my Tribeca and it handles great. I find that if you have and AWD or 4x4 vehicle all season tires are more then enough. The only issues i have had with my car have been the headlights. The headlights seem to burn out within a yea of installing them, in some cases less. I have become a pro at installing them so its not a big deal anymore haha.

The vehicle is very comfortable on long trips! The heated seats work very well and the DVD system in the backseat is a nice feature also. The puddle lights are my favorite feature on the car because they realy make it stand out in parking lots or anywhere alse you have the vehicle parked.

I think that if the Legacy isnt doing well enough for you in the snow that maybe the Tribeca would be a better choice for you because it sits up higher and has bigger wheels on it.

Cheers!
Old 12-28-2010, 02:32 AM   #5 (permalink)

Default Tribeca vs Legacy

Hi Alex

Thanks again for the update it has been informative.

Scott
Old 12-28-2010, 04:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Tribeca_06

Check out the Tribeca and see what you think!
Tribeca_06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

Scott, I own both a Legacy and a Tribeca, and love them both. The Tribeca is definitely better for hauling people and stuff, but I've never really had any issues in snow with either of them. If you're getting a lot of snow, then the higher ground clearance of the Tribeca would definitely be better.

The greater hp of the Tribeca is offset by the higher weight (nearly 1000 lbs heavier (4200 lbs vs 2300)), though the Tribeca does perform well for what it is. I've also noticed that, even though it handles well for an SUV, it does feel just a bit top-heavy compared to my legacy.

The AWD system is great - it's a 45/55 f/r split, and works great in slippery conditions.
SubieDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 01:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
BzB

there's always the middle child (aka the outback) that sits in between the legacy and the tribeca. food for thought...
BzB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 07:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Moderator Elite

I'm guessing the Outback has a lot higher resale value. If it's anything like the midwestern US, the Outback has ridiculous/tremendously good depreciation.

I've had a Legacy wagon (~6" ground clearance), a Forester (~8" ground clearance) and have driven both of them in nasty winters with good snow tires. My impression? The Legacy was better, even in the deep stuff, but especially better on ice and in anything less than 8" of snow because it was lower to the ground and had better weight distribution. Now, both of those have open diffs and a viscous center diff. I'm not sure if the Tribeca's VTD AWD system is any better than the Legacy (CVT?) but that would be the only thing I could see making a big enough difference for you to switch.

Unless you're expecting deep snow all the time, I'd stick with the Legacy. I'm especially jealous that you can buy a 2010MY Legacy wagon that isn't an outback. I'd kill for one of those over here.

2018 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid

2006 GMC Envoy XL

2003 Subaru Baja 5MT Sport

Former Subarus:
08 Tribeca
12 Impreza
03 Forester
95 Outback
Wiscon_Mark is offline   Reply With Quote