Battery or Alternator - SB9T.com
SB9T.com

Go Back   SB9T.com > Tribeca Owners' Lounge > General

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2019, 03:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Battery or Alternator

Hi All,

I have a 2007 B9. I bought it two years ago and needed to replace the battery almost immediately when it started surging when accelerating/climbing. Itís been 100% until yesterday. Same thing started again. I checked the liquids in the battery and itís in the white zone. Iím thinking replace battery as itís 2 years old. A friend has suggested the alternator could be the problem? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards.

Andrew
AndrewCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2019, 08:31 AM   #2 (permalink)

Surging while accelerating seems like an odd symptom for a failing battery.

If you suspect the alternator, be careful with an after market replacement/rebuild. Many part stores have the incorrect part. Lots in info on the H6 alternator over at subaruoutback.org. Make sure you get the right one.

Surging while accelerating - Do you mean the RPM go up unexpectedly? Like the transmission is slipping? Could be grounds causing bad signals. But you should get some codes. Any check engine light? Or Transmission light? If so, get them read.
tdelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 02:43 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdelker View Post
Surging while accelerating seems like an odd symptom for a failing battery.

If you suspect the alternator, be careful with an after market replacement/rebuild. Many part stores have the incorrect part. Lots in info on the H6 alternator over at subaruoutback.org. Make sure you get the right one.

It's not charging as much as it should when all electrics are on. I'll check the H6 alternator info. Thanks.

Surging while accelerating - Do you mean the RPM go up unexpectedly? Like the transmission is slipping? Could be grounds causing bad signals. But you should get some codes. Any check engine light? Or Transmission light? If so, get them read.
It only happens when I'm accelerating heavily, mainly when overtaking or climbing a steep incline. It's kinda like it's struggling to maintain the acceleration. As soon as I back off on the pedal it runs fine.
AndrewCV is offline   Reply With Quote