Extra Fuse & Plunger Switch at Fuse Box - SB9T.com
SB9T.com

Go Back   SB9T.com > Tribeca Owners' Lounge > General

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2019, 12:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Extra Fuse & Plunger Switch at Fuse Box

I purchased a 2009 Tribeca a few months ago with 78K miles and I'm absolutely stumped with what I've found in the fuse box area. There is an extra fuse and what appears to be a plunger switch (see pictures attached) not shown in any of the vehicle documentation. I've pulled the fuse to see what stops working and have found nothing impacted, including the rear entertainment system, navigation system, sun roof... all subaru extras I might expect to cause wiring modifications done after assembly. The vehicle does have the subaru towing package.

I'm about to change the 4 wire trailer plug to a 7 wire so I can take advantage of electric trailer brakes once I install a brake controller. I'd sure like to understand this modified wiring though before I do further mods.

Anybody have an idea what this fuse and switch are for? Is it a recall related modification?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fuse1.jpg (485.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Fuse2.jpg (382.8 KB, 6 views)
KevinL59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2019, 07:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
avk

For what it's worth, the button is the same as the "programming" button that comes with a Mazda remote start kit I am installing on a CX-7. The black cup screws off for installing through a hole. A similar switch would come with an add-on security system to provide emergency bypass.
avk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:46 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks AVK for the ideas. This car does have the remote start option and a security system (that I think is factory installed). I'll pull those two "threads" and see where they lead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2019, 11:08 AM   #4 (permalink)

AVK...you get a gold star!

The remote start option is installed by the dealers and explains the "non factory look" to the wiring. When I remove the fuse the car will not remote start.

The plunger button is a device used in the programming of the remote start options or to program FOBs.

Mystery solved. Thanks for the good input.
Old 05-08-2019, 01:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
avk

Thanks, good to know! They cut some corners when installing, that's another reason it looks not quite professional. I have a 2006 for which this accessory is not available because onboard connectors are not provided.

Last edited by avk; 05-08-2019 at 03:00 PM.
avk is offline   Reply With Quote