09 high mileage Tribeca - SB9T.com
SB9T.com

Go Back   SB9T.com > Tribeca Owners' Lounge > General

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By idosubaru
  • 1 Post By wjwolfe82

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2019, 02:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 09 high mileage Tribeca

Hello all this is my first Subaru and first post in this Forum. just purchased a used 09 with 192k on the odometer. got it for a good price 3500.00. body great interior like new but I did do some repairs like control arm bushings new radiator flush tranny and a few hoses that were soft. are these engines known for getting high miles with good care. I got a Jetta with 380k and runs great
81vwcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2019, 09:08 AM   #2 (permalink)

Some seem to need head gaskets around 150K and then run fine a long while after replacing them.
SubieDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

So far no leaks at heads hope it last a while my wife is enjoying it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2019, 10:29 AM   #4 (permalink)

Most of the H6 Tribeca headgasket issues seems to be with the 06-07 3.0L engine, although some 3.6L engines do have head issues, likely due to an overheat at some point in their life if you ask me.

The headgasket leak is an internal failure resulting in overheating. Most common sign of an early problem is the temp gauge going the 3 skinny bars.

These are great value cars, that's for sure! Welcome!

Tom
tdelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:52 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81vwcountry View Post
Hello all this is my first Subaru and first post in this Forum. just purchased a used 09 with 192k on the odometer. got it for a good price 3500.00. body great interior like new but I did do some repairs like control arm bushings new radiator flush tranny and a few hoses that were soft. are these engines known for getting high miles with good care. I got a Jetta with 380k and runs great
they make 300,000 miles rather easily with very few issues. they'll usually need valve cover gaskets and the oil cooler gasket at some point, good chance they've already been done even.

change the transmission fluid.

replace both serpentine pulley bearings immediately and every 60,000 miles thereafter. they fail all the time.

luckily they're $10 or less and take less than 30 minutes to replace both of them. super easy. buy two bearings and tap out the old, tap in the new and you're done for another 60,000 miles.
idosubaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 11:02 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubieDriver View Post
Some seem to need head gaskets around 150K and then run fine a long while after replacing them.
there's no particular mileage they're prone to fail at. H6's can easily fail earlier or never.

lower and higher mileage vehicles have less visibility because they're more valuable/likely to go to a dealer/shop without ever being talked about or scrapped due to high mileages.

I'm tempted to say they do start failing at higher average mileages than EJ engines, like 80k+. but I see so few low mileage H6's and so many H4's that i can't decide if what i see is a universal trend or just my anecdotal experience.
new stratos likes this.
idosubaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 04:47 AM   #7 (permalink)

Mine needed head gaskets at 150K, so all of them must. Aren't they all identical to mine?
(mine was an '07 - I would have kept it a good while longer if my wife hadn't crashed it)
SubieDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:33 AM   #8 (permalink)

I've had my '09 for 7 years...just went over 170k. Over the years have only 'had' to replace the radiator and idler pulley, besides the normal fluid changes.

Have just now had the valve cover gaskets(were leaky) and spark plugs replaced. Next it could use control arm bushings and I think a drive shaft is going. It has always and still does run as smooth as a sewing machine...and is a beast in winter driving.

Edit: I forgot I did have to also replace a brake caliper. And there was the issue with the headlights burning out a lot (after the puddle light recall fix this has not really been a problem. I just today received some Hella H7LL's from Rockauto for $2.78 each)
tribecadean likes this.

Last edited by wjwolfe82; 02-13-2019 at 10:44 AM.
wjwolfe82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 05:15 AM   #9 (permalink)

just an update on the Tribeca. we now have 195k on it no leaks any where I have replaced radiator. flushed tranny shudder went away after that other than that its great