HSpencer's Journal - SB9T.com
SB9T.com

Go Back   SB9T.com > Tribeca Owners' Lounge > Members' Journals

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2013, 03:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default HSpencer's Journal

This post will start my Subaru Tribeca Journal. I purchased a new 2013 Subaru Tribeca with everything except the DVD entertainment on July 19, 2013. I actually bought the last Tribeca on the lot. After driving the Outback and Forester, there was nothing to compare with the Tribeca. It had it all and then some. I am especially proud of the handling and drive and ride quality of this car.
I recently took my two grandkids on a trip before school starts next Monday and we drove a distance of 750 miles to various places of interest. I can say I bought the right car!!! My average MPG was 22.1, and I am expecting more when the car is fully broken in. I now have 1575 miles on it. All of us were more than comfortable and we really enjoyed the trip. I was NOT tired at the end of several hours of driving both on interstate and two lane roads and city traffic.
The Tribeca held all of our gear and luggage for the trip with room to spare.
So far, I love the car. I had thought I was hearing a little wind noise, but it turned out to be tire noise on certain interstate roadways. On smooth asphalt, the noise disappeared. I am very pleased!!!
I will continue my journal as I have posts about the car.

Thanks for reading!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Subaru in Hot Springs.jpg (151.3 KB, 57 views)
west_minist likes this.
HSpencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2013, 05:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

It's truly a very, very good highway cruiser. I have not spent extended time on the highway in the 5th generation Legacy/Outbacks, but I can certainly say that the previous generation (SH) Foresters do not offer the same level of cruising comfort.
TSiWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

Glad to hear you are enjoying your Tribeca. I soon might be driving one also! Keep us posted on your travels in it.
scarpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2013, 05:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have done a number of road trips on mine and it averages about 20 MPG. I usually set it to cruise at 75 MPH. I also have the crossbars installed. I don't really get bothered by the mpg numbers. I find the cruising range (or the lack thereof) more annoying. But my daughter loves the dvd player.
Mattau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

A couple of minor points I have noticed on the Tribeca.
The steering wheel just does not fit my hand. It is leather and nice and pretty but in the end, I don't like driving with this wheel. Therefore I put a nice steering wheel cover on it, charcoal gray with a silver stripe on top and bottom which matches the silver work on the dash. Problem solved, all the difference in the world!!! The wheel as original is just too thin for my tastes. (This is just a quirk, nothing serious).

I wish there were clothes rod bar holders at the rear gate. You have to put your clothes rod in the second row. The distance from the top of the rear area to the floor is not high enough to have a clothes bar. This is a minor deal, as wife and I usually travel alone and can put that bar in the second row. The little tabs to hook the bar on look weak and flimsy. Oh well I can live with it.

This is all small stuff and just things I immediately noticed when going on my trip last week.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

If you ever get to sideline the car for a week or so, give this outfit a try:

http://www.redlinegoods.com/SteeringWheelCover.php

They're well-known in the Subaru community, and not only have an excellent production line, but also have done excellent custom work for many members, including me (a custom shift-boot as well as parking-brake/e-brake boot for my '05 Legacy - I needed the custom work to fit over non-specific-fitment aftermarket components such as a MOMO PitStop e-brake handle and a custom shift knob/shaft by WC Lathe Works).

Actually, I've been tempted to try to somehow jury-rig my take-off
DAMD SS358S-2 steering wheel from my Legacy onto the Tribeca. It's a piece that I still haven't been able to bring myself to sell, after all these years.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

10-18-2013. Just had my first oil change done. I have racked up the 3750 miles. The dealer is outstanding. I scheduled my oil change on line, and was known by name when I drove under the service canopy. Although I was there only 45 minutes, I was offered "something to drive" while my car was being serviced. Also, the Salesman and Sales manager plus the service manager all talked with me about how things were going with the Tribeca. I was treated well. At the end of the service, my Tribeca was washed and pulled under the canopy. Many customers were in and out of the service area that day.

Still loving the Tribeca and the dealer's service. So different from other dealer experiences. (Still in my wise old age, waiting for the "other shoe" to drop!) I hope it never does.

Best Regards
Herb Spencer
Old 10-18-2013, 05:10 PM   #8 (permalink)

^ Looks like you really found a winning dealership and service department. That's worth its weight in gold - I'd definitely work to cultivate the relationship. Congrats!
Old 11-14-2013, 07:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

Subaru of America (SOA) just sent me an offer for an extended warranty on my 2013 Tribeca. I can get a warranty of 60,000 miles or six years which ever comes first. The cost will be $650.00 with a $100.00 deductible. I don't normally buy extended warranties, but this could in fact be my last car, since I will turn 69 next January. Of course I have already the 36/36 new car warranty, but I am thinking this time it might be a good purchase to have the extended one.
I am going to fish for comments before I write the check. Any one want to throw in anything on this?
Old 11-15-2013, 07:04 AM   #10 (permalink)

More on tire noise. Since I have made at least three long trips in the Tribeca now, I can tell you there is a significant difference in Interstate road materials. I had never noticed it before. You get on standard several year old asphalt, and the noise is a whine or roar. When you get on new (black) asphalt, you can hear a pin drop in the cabin. The noise also changes when going from a concrete road to an asphalt road.
I was damning and blaming "wind" noise in the Tribeca----I was wrong on all counts. Now I look for trips on good newly redone roads. These are whisper quiet.
If you buy a Tribeca or maybe a similar built car, be aware of this road materials problem. Don't blame the car.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:34 PM   #11 (permalink)

^ The tire can have a lot to do with this equation, too. Be aware that when you change-out from your OE tires, you may have a different set of concerns.

Tire-noise can even be size-specific.

And what someone reports as a quiet model/size in another make/model of can may well not translate at all - or even be absolutely opposite of - what you'll see in yours.

Case-in-point was a set of Falken ZIEX ZE512s that I was running on my '05 Legacy. It really was very quiet in that application. I eventually ditched that set (it was a stand-in set that I purchased while debating my summer tire choice, when the OE Bridgestones took road damage [fresh tar were embedded in much of the tread due to gridlock traffic on a very, very hot day]), but kept it around in the garage as a full-four spare set. I actually had to run my wife's '05 WRX on that set at one point, as two of her OEs took puncture damage from a construction site.

On her WRX, those tires were incredibly noisy.

It's something to be aware of, when the time comes.

Last edited by TSiWRX; 11-15-2013 at 06:39 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:55 AM   #12 (permalink)

^ It seems as if the noise from the tires comes up in the tool compartment and spare tire area. I put insulation in all that area, and it helped a little. I also stuffed a little under the third row seat, just enough so it does not interfere with the seat operation. On the spare tire lowering hole, I put a piece of taped down insulation and that helped as well. I am wondering if having the Tribeca professionally undercoated would help?
Old 11-19-2013, 10:16 AM   #13 (permalink)

^ Unknown on last.

There's lots of areas where noise can transmit, you've certainly hit some of them, and I'd be willing to bet that the undercoat will in some way help, too, but I think that overall, this is more of a "vehicle inherent" trait that's much more effectively addressed at the engineering and tire homologation level than it is aftermarket.

Nevertheless, I'd think that it'd be worth a try, particularly given your stated long-term goals for this vehicle.

If nothing else, such undercoating should further boost corrosion resistance.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:04 PM   #14 (permalink)

Will be taking my 2013 Tribeca (6550 miles on clock) to the dealer Monday. From day one the passenger air bag light was "jiggly" to come on when my wife sat in the seat. Now, the passenger seat heater is not coming on. I think there must be a sensor in the seat acting up. I will let you know what they say or do about it. The driver's seat works perfectly.
Herb
Old 02-13-2014, 08:16 PM   #15 (permalink)

As you may remember my '13's passenger-side airbag passenger occupancy detection module crapped out early: https://www.sb9t.com/forums/showthrea...ghlight=airbag .

As I stated there, the repair was under warranty (the bill was approx. $900) and took about an hour and a half or so - they'll likely book you a half-day slot at the very least, as they told me that's what "the book" calls for - to replace. I'd actually gotten a loaner and had planned to make a day out of it, but they called me while I was driving back from the sporting goods store across town. Components replaced were the "ODS Control Module, Load Cell &/or Harness" as well as the front right seat cushion. Also billed was testing of the airbag system.

The seat occupancy detection module is rather Rube Goldberg in design and operation, and the service manager confessed to these units being somewhat prone to fault, coming out of the factory.

My replacement has not given us any problems over the course of the last year.

I am unable to verify if we also had any seat-heater problems at the same time. That wouldn't strike me as being completely unlikely, given that my entire seat cushion was replaced.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:14 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSiWRX View Post
As you may remember my '13's passenger-side airbag passenger occupancy detection module crapped out early: https://www.sb9t.com/forums/showthrea...ghlight=airbag .

As I stated there, the repair was under warranty (the bill was approx. $900) and took about an hour and a half or so - they'll likely book you a half-day slot at the very least, as they told me that's what "the book" calls for - to replace. I'd actually gotten a loaner and had planned to make a day out of it, but they called me while I was driving back from the sporting goods store across town. Components replaced were the "ODS Control Module, Load Cell &/or Harness" as well as the front right seat cushion. Also billed was testing of the airbag system.

The seat occupancy detection module is rather Rube Goldberg in design and operation, and the service manager confessed to these units being somewhat prone to fault, coming out of the factory.

My replacement has not given us any problems over the course of the last year.

I am unable to verify if we also had any seat-heater problems at the same time. That wouldn't strike me as being completely unlikely, given that my entire seat cushion was replaced.
Feb 26, 2014--I got the same repair service as you did on the passenger seat. It has become a 2013 Tribeca tech service bulletin. I got the electricals and seat cushion replaced. I also got the loaner car, and was very pleased with service from the dealer.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:52 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSpencer View Post
Feb 26, 2014--I got the same repair service as you did on the passenger seat. It has become a 2013 Tribeca tech service bulletin. I got the electricals and seat cushion replaced. I also got the loaner car, and was very pleased with service from the dealer.
Thanks for the update - and especially for that note.

Glad your experience was headache free.
Old 08-29-2015, 12:06 PM   #18 (permalink)

Check your headlight lenses on at least the 2013 Tribeca. The little yellow markers alongside the main headlight will tend to pop off the sides. They have four little tabs on them. Both of mine have popped off. I am going to the dealer tomorrow to check it out.

Best Regards
Herb Spencer
Old 08-30-2015, 10:21 AM   #19 (permalink)

^ Interesting! Thanks!

Mine sees occasional light off-road use, so I definitely will look-see.

She's due to go off lease in November. I'll be sad to see her go.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:45 PM   #20 (permalink)

Just back from Subaru dealer. Had the 22,500 service done (my last free one). I showed the headlight problem, and they are ordering new headlight assemblies for both sides. As usual from my dealer, just good care and no hassles. If this headlight thing happens to you, it is covered by your 36/36.

Best Regards
Herb