2012 Motor Shot - SB9T.com
SB9T.com

Go Back   SB9T.com > Tribeca Owners' Lounge > Warranty/TSB/Maintenance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2019, 06:40 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2012 Motor Shot

Not sure if there is anything you guys can help with, but if anyone has advice I would appreciate it. I have a 2012 Tribeca and the engine is now shot. I've had No issues, oil change done every 10,000, never even had a warning light come on at all. All of a sudden I wake up start the car and it sounds like there are Marbles inside the motor. Took it to the mechanic and he said it's something internal and it's basically gone. Is there anything Subaru can or will do about it? it has 175,000 Km's on it but until this, it hummed beautifully.

Thanks
Cypher2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2019, 09:57 AM   #2 (permalink)

Note, oil change was 10,000 km (not miles!)

That is very unusual.

I would call Subaru of America. Since you are in Canada, there must be a similar number.

But the first thing they will want is to talk with your local dealer. So bring it there first for diagnostics.

Tom
tdelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

Yes, it's 10,000 Km's that I've gotten an oil change.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2019, 11:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

Get a second opinion. misdiagnosis is not surprising. loose heat shields, bearing, belt...

Let's hope for something simple...but if it's not then our condolences to a big mess, that's no fun to deal with.

Warranty is 5 years/60k in the US - warrantying something that's over 50% past the warranty time frame and mileage is odd, and hard to think about how that would work.

They built millions of vehicles since that time - even if such outlier failures are extremely rare they'd have enormous costs to randomly start doubling their warranty periods.

If the engine is toast see if a JDM engine will work, that's what I'd do. They're typically supplying H6's up to like 2009-ish, not sure if those are interchangeable but I'd imagine there's a really good chance the long block only will slide right into place. The JDM supplier should know. $1,500 + $1,000 install = $2,500. It'll be 2 or 3 times that to get repaired at a Subaru dealer.
idosubaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 12:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

I did go over to Subaru and talked to one of their mechanics, he refused to believe the engine was toast. He said he was 90% sure it was the tensioner. It came loose and fell. Mechanic is taking the Timing belt cover off now to see if that's the case.
I just don't think it's blown, it drove fine, just loud with the knocking noise.

Thanks for the input, I'll let you guys know what happens!
Old 09-11-2019, 01:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

Well it's not the tensioner. Having it towed to the Subaru dealership. Really don't know what to do. Having a bad feeling i'm putting a new engine in it.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:25 AM   #7 (permalink)

Subaru of America has been known to help out with cost of major engine repairs well outside of warranty. They work with the dealer on that. Plenty of examples of this on subaruoutback.org with regards to headgaskets. But there is no guarantee for that at all. It's a bit hit and miss, and usually depends on your dealer's relationship with SoA as well how your car was maintained.

Tom
tdelker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012 tribeca, engine dead