puddle lights may cause fire!!!! - SB9T.com
SB9T.com

Go Back   SB9T.com > Tribeca Owners' Lounge > Warranty/TSB/Maintenance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2012, 07:30 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default puddle lights may cause fire!!!!

Hi..

I new here and I just bought my Tribeca last year in Sept... I was wondering what you guys would think of this issue.

A couple of days ago my wife went and open the trunk door on our tribeca and about 1 min later I smell something burning (electrical). I looked and looked and notice that it was coming from the Tribeca driver side rear puddle light. I got down and looked and notice that it was bright red and there was white smoke everywhere, also it started melting the plastic.

I was able to put out the fire and unplug the battery to prevent it from starting again.

I had the car towed into a Subaru Dealership and today the called my wife saying that it would not be cover under warranty (even though I have warranty on the car). They said that it was due to condensation.

Have you guys seen or heard of this happening before. What are my options here?

Please help!!!

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by b42sh0; 06-15-2012 at 04:24 AM.
b42sh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2012, 04:23 AM   #2 (permalink)

Okay so this is what happen when I took it to the dealership. They at first refuse to cover my car under warranty until I called and started a case through Subaru of America .

They weren't able to tell me that this incident will not happen again and that it was just a fluke. They replace the harness for the LED, LED, and the housing that goes around the LED.

They said that if I want to pursue this farther then I should call Subaru of America again.

I'll be calling Subaru of America back regarding this fluke because the tech weren't able to give me a direct answer on if this is going to happen again or not.

puddle light MAY CAUSE FIRE!!!!

Again thanks.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

There have been reports in the past about water and condensation getting into the puddle lights. Although I've never heard of anything beyond the bulb burned out. Personally, I've never had any problems with our puddle lights.
Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2012, 11:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default me too

Your description sounds exactly like mine- smoke, burning, and on the rear driver's side. I installed these puddle lamps myself back in '06, so I knew how to access them. I just took off the trim piece and clipped the wires, with a wire nut and lots of electrical tape to keep it from shorting.

I'm way beyond warranty, so I didn't even try.
Dgteaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:18 AM   #5 (permalink)

What's a puddle light?
pnolansb9T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:15 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgteaser
Your description sounds exactly like mine- smoke, burning, and on the rear driver's side. I installed these puddle lamps myself back in '06, so I knew how to access them. I just took off the trim piece and clipped the wires, with a wire nut and lots of electrical tape to keep it from shorting.

I'm way beyond warranty, so I didn't even try.

Sorry to hear about that.. I at the moment I am working with SOA and they'll be working with their own techs... I'll try to keep you guys posted.
Old 06-30-2012, 04:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Cool GRR, puddle lights again!

Same here, since 06 two puddle lights burned out, now two more. Driver side - burned completely black and plastic body burned through, bad burning smell. I plan to send to SOA completely burned puddle light and see what they say. This is beyond me - those are LEDs (Light Emitting Diode), they should draw minimal amp, no heat generation to speak of and last for almost millenia... but no, they keep burning out and my extended warranty refuse swap them stating lamps are not covered.
7 Pass LTD, Nav/DVD, underguard bar, mesh grille, 3M clear bra, puddle lights, 18" OEM chrome wheels, mudguards, aero crossbars, dimm mirror w/compass, all-weather mats, towing package, rear bumper cover, shock sensor,OEM car cover. Color matched door moldings. Slotted rotors/ceramic pads/braided lines. Conti CrossContact EcoPlus LX20.
Andrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:59 AM   #8 (permalink)

<bump>

Any more news on this? I've had one (or two?) burned out on mine for a couple of years now. I like the puddle lights as a feature, but don't NEED them. What I do need is peace of mind that this isn't a fire hazard.

The flat 6 collection:
  • '06 B9 Tribecca 7 passenger limited, black(hers) <-- possibly THE most disappointing car I've ever owned... and I once owned a new '84 Buick Skyhawk!
  • '96 SVX LSi (mine) Laguna Blue, '98 Forester transmission and rear diff w/ 4.44s (picture in link is a stock image, obviously)
  • '89 XT6 5 spd (mine) Pearl White
╔°══════°╗
FLT SIX
╚°══════°╝

austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:08 AM   #9 (permalink)
BzB

wow. i've had the puddle light kit for a long time, but been too lazy to install it. guess i'll be holding off for a while longer. good thing is this the melting plastic doesn't seem to be a common issue...?
BzB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:10 AM   #10 (permalink)

good to know. I have to say, I've owned and driven Subarus since 1989 and my wife's Tribeca is the first one we've ever had that's really been a disappointment. It's not a "bad car", but all the little things add up to keep it from being an enjoyable car.

The flat 6 collection:
  • '06 B9 Tribecca 7 passenger limited, black(hers) <-- possibly THE most disappointing car I've ever owned... and I once owned a new '84 Buick Skyhawk!
  • '96 SVX LSi (mine) Laguna Blue, '98 Forester transmission and rear diff w/ 4.44s (picture in link is a stock image, obviously)
  • '89 XT6 5 spd (mine) Pearl White
╔°══════°╗
FLT SIX
╚°══════°╝

austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:33 PM   #11 (permalink)

We had one of ours start smoking really bad in a parking lot a couple months back. So bad that someone called the fire dept. We complained to Subaru and they replace all 4 (three of them were burnt out) as a goodwill gesture.
DVST8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:04 AM   #12 (permalink)

Subaru announced a recall because of this exact issue. I wonder if it was you who alerted them: http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9020BE20130103

- 2007 Subaru B9 Tribeca Limited 7-Passengers with 97k mi.

- 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan with 82k mi.
fddlss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:05 AM   #13 (permalink)
avk

https://www.sb9t.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2495
avk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:52 AM   #14 (permalink)

My '06 had smoke coming from the puddle lights last winter along with a strong odor... Happened twice, when at the dealer no problem... This car is getting to be a money pit...... my first and last subie.
barbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:59 AM   #15 (permalink)

Recalls should not cost the owner any money to correct.
TSiWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:57 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbie
...... my first and last subie.
You need to get instead:

1. Scion
2. Toyota
3. Lexus
4. Mazda

They are more reliable than:

5. Subaru
6. Honda
7. Acura
8. Audi
9. Infiniti
10. Kia

http://mashable.com/2012/11/03/consu...s-top-10-cars/
subbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:24 AM   #17 (permalink)

Toyota, Scion, and Lexus have never had recalls!
Old 01-05-2013, 06:44 AM   #18 (permalink)

^ yep…Subaru beats most auto makers in reliability. Even Honda!!!!
subbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:30 AM   #19 (permalink)

Barbie - Subaru is very reliable. As with any machine a preventative maintenance program must be applied. I can say between my wife and my Subaru's they are the only vehicles I have ever owned that never went back to the dealer for anything from the day of delivery. Of the six Subaru's between us in 18 years we had one recall for our Outback altenator. As stated before there is never a charge to the owner for a recall. And consider the nature of this recall it is not a gas pedal sticking or an engine fire issue or a gas tank poorly positioned. I met a person that worked at a large Subaru dealership. He said that only six parts are returned to Subaru monthly for their evaluation. Another well know car brand that this dealer also sells has about six hundred parts per month returned. I will stick with the Subie.
subiedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:01 AM   #20 (permalink)

This all said, it's very possible that barbie simply caught a Lemon.