puddle lights may cause fire!!!! - Page 4 - SB9T.com
SB9T.com

Go Back   SB9T.com > Tribeca Owners' Lounge > Warranty/TSB/Maintenance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2013, 03:56 PM   #61 (permalink)

I am sure it is not too late since there has been a recall campaign. They will replace the lights with a newer sealed unit and in-line fuse the harness on both sides just in case water infiltrates it won't overheat just blow the fuse. If you like them go for it.
subiedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2013, 04:05 PM   #62 (permalink)
avk

There haven't been any serious updates to the lights. The letter from FHI to NHTSA, posted in another thread, shows the changes introduced in production. The recall does not address the root cause of the problem, but only the symptoms.

Last edited by avk; 11-26-2013 at 05:49 AM.
avk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:56 PM   #63 (permalink)

Default In that case...

Thanks for the info! Well, since I'm having what seems to be camshaft position sensor issues at the moment, I'll be sure to get the puddle lights replaced if I do have to take it in the dealership. They do add that extra touch of swagger to the car after all.
troyinindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2017, 11:21 AM   #64 (permalink)

For the recall, did they replace the puddle lights? I have two that are burnt out. If not , how much do these cost?
michaelhinchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 04:00 PM   #65 (permalink)

From my experience they will replace burned out lights. If not, then the part cost is about $15 per a light.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:25 PM   #66 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to MicBert

Is it possible that I do not have such lights?
I really don't remember...

2008 Tribeca limited w/navigation (modified for LPG)
Former: Outback 2.5i MT MY06 (modified for LPG)
MicBert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 09:52 AM   #67 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbus View Post
From my experience they will replace burned out lights. If not, then the part cost is about $15 per a light.
I am here now. I found a part in the car when I bought it replacing one of the puddle light on the driver's side. The two on pass side are burned out. I wish I would have just took out the new one and replaced it with the burnt out one. The pass side looks very odd now that the lights are a different brightness.
I'm hoping they change em out. At least the burnt ones. I'll update to let everyone looking to get this done. Although I'm probably the last of the recalls. Lol
Old 01-17-2017, 10:27 AM   #68 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicBert View Post
Is it possible that I do not have such lights?
I really don't remember...
Yes, it is. It's an add-on accessory.

Do you have lights that shine on the ground from under the car when you unlock the vehicle but don't open the doors? If yes, you got them, if no, you don't.
tdelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 11:13 AM   #69 (permalink)

According to the recall notice, burnt out lights must be replaced under the recall (i.e. at no cost) to ensure proper operation after the recall work is completed.

I had three burnt-out puddles when I went in for the recall work; I drove home with four working puddle lights without having to pull out my wallet.

My preferred online Subaru parts store (OEM): http://parts.libertyautocitysubaru.com/
psygnal11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 03:11 PM   #70 (permalink)

Yes. The Subaru near me replaced two non working lights per the recall with upgraded part number H471SXA011
Without paying a dime. Of course I picked up some fresh coolant and trans oil and filter. Wow that is one expensive filter for the trans. I'm assuming that should last awhile. At least I'm hoping. If anyone knows how long please give me a shout. Thx
Old 01-18-2017, 09:22 AM   #71 (permalink)

Transmission filter is 'lifetime' - like until it rusts and starts leaking. I believe it.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:57 AM   #72 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdelker View Post
Transmission filter is 'lifetime' - like until it rusts and starts leaking. I believe it.
I'd pour some transmission fluid in there, let it sit, slosh it around, and pour it down if not comfortable. That's what I'll be doing.
06 7 str. Ltd Sa Wht Prl 170k, JDM Eng 48k, blk lea, OEM rub mats, pdl lts, 7 str cgo tray, cgo nets, Audiovox 13.3" overhead DVD player, FM Trans, Osram Rallye 65W low bms, Garmin Nuvi 2597LMT, Mishimoto Oil Drn Plg, M1AFE 0-30, M1 75-90 Diffs, Valvoline Imp. MV ATF, Bfld Ctch Cns w/ drn, PK GL Lifetime w/ SCC, SUM - 255/55/18 Firestone Dest LE2s on Drk Gry Plastidipped Stockers WNTR - Hankook Icept Evo2 SUV 235/65/17s on Gunmetal Drag DR-62s, MNRF defl, SLTD/DRLD rotors cer pads, 2k11 LG wprs
06b9beca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 06:09 AM   #73 (permalink)

I just bought a 2009 Tribeca with 3 puddle lamps out. The part numbers on the car that are burned out are H471SXA010. When I go to get new puddle lamps the revised p/n is H471SXA011. This makes me concerned the old lamp part numbers that were not sealed well and present a fire risk were never replaced as part of a recall.

The NHTSB website says this VIN# has had all the recall work satisfied BUT the previous owner has very detailed maintenance records showing NO WORK ever done on the puddle lamps. Anybody have specific information of what 5 amp fuse was added per the recall so I can double check the work was done?
KevinL59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:09 AM   #74 (permalink)

The lamps are the same.

They add a fuse in line up by the fender well.

You can log in to mysubaru and check for open recalls there as well.

Tom
Old 05-08-2019, 03:09 PM   #75 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinL59 View Post
I just bought a 2009 Tribeca with 3 puddle lamps out. The part numbers on the car that are burned out are H471SXA010. When I go to get new puddle lamps the revised p/n is H471SXA011. This makes me concerned the old lamp part numbers that were not sealed well and present a fire risk were never replaced as part of a recall.

The NHTSB website says this VIN# has had all the recall work satisfied BUT the previous owner has very detailed maintenance records showing NO WORK ever done on the puddle lamps. Anybody have specific information of what 5 amp fuse was added per the recall so I can double check the work was done?

An update...
The recall work has not been done but the NHTSB website contradicts that info by saying I have no recalls against the car. I disassembled enough to see there is no inline fuse in the aft wheel well area.

I called a dealership the previous owner did all the repairs with and got a great clarification from their service rep. Because the puddle lights are an option Subaru did not notify all the owners of the condition because, he says, they didn't know who owned the puddle light option. There is a "flag" (his words) on my VIN that the recall is needed if I own puddle lights.

The lesson learned is for those of us who own cars covered by the puddle lamp recall don't expect Subaru to notify you. You must push the issue with your dealer. I'll be scheduling the work soon and will report back when done.
KevinL59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 03:39 PM   #76 (permalink)
avk

The difference might be, as discussed in the past, between vehicles originally sold with the lights installed (such as Limited trim) and those on which the lights were added after the sale.
avk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 05:04 AM   #77 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinL59 View Post
An update...
The recall work has not been done but the NHTSB website contradicts that info by saying I have no recalls against the car. I disassembled enough to see there is no inline fuse in the aft wheel well area.

I called a dealership the previous owner did all the repairs with and got a great clarification from their service rep. Because the puddle lights are an option Subaru did not notify all the owners of the condition because, he says, they didn't know who owned the puddle light option. There is a "flag" (his words) on my VIN that the recall is needed if I own puddle lights.

The lesson learned is for those of us who own cars covered by the puddle lamp recall don't expect Subaru to notify you. You must push the issue with your dealer. I'll be scheduling the work soon and will report back when done.

I was notified by Subaru for the recall. Prior to it being done I was having to replace assorted burnt out bulbs...headlight and/or brake/parking lights...every couple of months. Since the recall service...a couple years ago...I haven't had to replace any brake/parking lights and get 6-12 months out of the headlights.