New Upgrade Installed... - SB9T.com
SB9T.com

Go Back   SB9T.com > Tribeca Owners' Lounge > News and Rumors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2009, 09:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New Upgrade Installed...

I just had an aftermarket remote start installed. So far so good. Hope I don't experience any electrical issues. One thing I did noticed is that now when the car is armed and I used the key to open the door before disabling the alarm, the alarm doesn't go off like its suppose to. Any one had one installed and have the same problem? Thnx for any info.
SubieTri08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2009, 08:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

Well, I don't remember what happened when I had an aftermarket unit, but when you depress the brake w/o the key the car should still shut down.

2011 3.6R Limited w/ Nav
Magic Marker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 05:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

Are you talking about the built-in alarm or aftermarket? I would think using the key should disable the built-in alarm or even an aftermarket one...that would be the normal sequence of operation. It doesn't make sense for the alarm to go off if using the key to enter the car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2009, 08:44 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snork
Are you talking about the built-in alarm or aftermarket? I would think using the key should disable the built-in alarm or even an aftermarket one...that would be the normal sequence of operation. It doesn't make sense for the alarm to go off if using the key to enter the car
Yea the built-in factory alarm. If you use the physical key to turn and unlock the vehicle w/o first disabling the alarm, the alarm should go off once you open the door. But I tested it again and I it worked the 2nd time around. Only problem I have now is that my a/c doesn't go on once remote start is engaged. (which defeats the whole purpose of the unit!!) Will have to bring it back to get it checked. Hopefully a minor wiring issue.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:04 AM   #5 (permalink)

Hmm...I don't think I've actually ever used the key, LOL. I'll have to give it a try.

Regarding the A/C, it should come on to whatever you had it set to when you turned the car off. So if the A/C was off, it won't come on automatically.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:56 AM   #6 (permalink)

I had an aftermarket remote start installed also at the Subaru dealer. The first time they put it in, the A/C did not come on either. I had them fix that one, but now the front door unlocks when you remote start it, which is not something I want to happen. I have to take it back again and have them fix it.

But I do know that the remote start counts as one of the four keys in the alarm system, so I think that the alarm system is disabled when the remote start is used. This would be the only way to start the car since if the alarm was still enabled, the car would not run at all.
reedl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

Curious if there's something about the Subaru Remote Start that would make you go to an AM one.
Subiesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subiesan
Curious if there's something about the Subaru Remote Start that would make you go to an AM one.
I read in Drive magazine that the new remote start for new Leggies and Outbacks turn off when you open the door....So you remote start the car, disarm the car, open the door, car shuts off and then you have to restart with the key. That is so dumb.....They say it is for security reasons, but I think that is a horrible excuse. I would def go aftermarket in this case.

2011 3.6R Limited w/ Nav
Old 01-11-2010, 10:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Marker
I read in Drive magazine that the new remote start for new Leggies and Outbacks turn off when you open the door....So you remote start the car, disarm the car, open the door, car shuts off and then you have to restart with the key. That is so dumb.....They say it is for security reasons, but I think that is a horrible excuse. I would def go aftermarket in this case.
I agree MM. I was reading that on Drive the other day too. Can't think of a security reason for doing that. So far my AM remote is doing great. Have great distance and I get a response when car has started.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:23 AM   #10 (permalink)

Well for "security" if the car happened to be unlocked in the parking lot and you remote started it someone could just hop in...and yes I realize you have to put the key in before switching out of park. Another theory is that it could prevent your kids from just climbing into the car while it is running if they are playing outside around the car.

Another reason to go AM vs OEM is that the OEM remote start fob is a SEPARATE fob from your regular keyless entry fob. So you gotta have 2 fobs on your keychain which is too bulky IMHO. I always carry my keys in my front pants pocket and it would be a PITA and more uncomfortable to have 2 fobs on my keychain.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:53 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Well for "security" if the car happened to be unlocked in the parking lot and you remote started it someone could just hop in...and yes I realize you have to put the key in before switching out of park. Another theory is that it could prevent your kids from just climbing into the car while it is running if they are playing outside around the car.

Another reason to go AM vs OEM is that the OEM remote start fob is a SEPARATE fob from your regular keyless entry fob. So you gotta have 2 fobs on your keychain which is too bulky IMHO. I always carry my keys in my front pants pocket and it would be a PITA and more uncomfortable to have 2 fobs on my keychain.
Those theory still wouldn't make sense though... If you remote started the car while it was unlock, regardless of who enters the car it would shut down anyways. Even if you don't remote start and had left the car unlock someone could still jump in. Still don't see any reason for shutting down the car when you're already going into the car. My AM remote start turns on the car thus disabling the factory alarm but also has built in power door locks so it keeps the car locked once the car has started. When I walk to the car I can use either remotes to unlock the doors. That's really how Subaru should do it so the car don't shut down upon entry.

Also both AM and OEM remote starts requires separate key fobs so no deciding factor on that. Although going OEM you would have Subaru warranty if anything goes wrong with it.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:39 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubieTri08
Also both AM and OEM remote starts requires separate key fobs so no deciding factor on that.
Well potentially if you get a slightly more "upscale" AM unit they can program the remote start keyfob to do your door locks too. Maybe it's just me, but if I'm gonna spend the money to get an AM remote start, the system better only have ONE fob for everything!
Old 01-12-2010, 11:48 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Well potentially if you get a slightly more "upscale" AM unit they can program the remote start keyfob to do your door locks too. Maybe it's just me, but if I'm gonna spend the money to get an AM remote start, the system better only have ONE fob for everything!
All my AM remote starts were tied to AM security, so I always had one remote up until our Subies. I had a 2 way remote start w/ a mini LCD screen on the fob. It told you what door was open, how long the car was running and confirmed that remote start worked when you didn't have line of sight.

2011 3.6R Limited w/ Nav
Old 10-12-2010, 11:56 PM   #14 (permalink)

For my part, I would like this trailer hitch for next year.

TibetanTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:19 PM   #15 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to reinaldo
Default new upgrade

I think the built-in factory alarm is use for security purposes. There should be a way to disable it if you feel bother about it.
__________________________________________________ ________________
Alarm System
Anti theft bulldog security
reinaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:43 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubieTri08
I just had an aftermarket remote start installed. So far so good. Hope I don't experience any electrical issues. One thing I did noticed is that now when the car is armed and I used the key to open the door before disabling the alarm, the alarm doesn't go off like its suppose to. Any one had one installed and have the same problem? Thnx for any info.
The Subaru keys have a wireless transmitter. Even if you don't have the "Clicker", the key part still has a signal. If the signal isn't being transmitted, the Subaru won't open and it won't crank.
lodensnell is offline   Reply With Quote