Ascent Forum? - SB9T.com
SB9T.com

Go Back   SB9T.com > Tribeca Owners' Lounge > News and Rumors

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By FLsubies
  • 1 Post By tdelker
  • 2 Post By Wiscon_Mark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2018, 01:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Ascent Forum?

Has anybody created an Ascent forum anywhere?
SubieDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2018, 05:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

You should ask the admins about doing that here, since we are the precursor to the ascent.
StuDog likes this.
FLsubies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:44 AM   #3 (permalink)

Subaru just announced the pricing, so until people actually get the cars I doubt there will be much, as usual with any new model first few month it will probably be a sub-forum on nasioc. Then someone will make one.
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2018, 03:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

Here: Subaru Ascent Forum
tsm106 likes this.
tdelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 07:51 AM   #5 (permalink)

holy crap that was fast, i guess ill be quite now.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

Amazingly its been around since Oct or so...
tdelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:03 AM   #7 (permalink)

Not fair... that website is more purty than this one are !
grsofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 03:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

Took a close look at an Ascent today at a dealer. Nice car, but it isn’t a massive difference to our Tribecas. Taller and longer hood. Higher rear lift gate with similar space behind the third row. Nice interior with better materials for the dash etc....
The captain chairs in the second row allow easier access to the third row.
Of course better and more capable electronic packages, but that is really it.
This is more an evolution of a three row vehicle, but SOA wants to get the stink of the Tribeca off them. My wife wasn’t all that impressed and we both only wished for a bigger gas tank in the Tri.
We are also not fans of CVT transmissions.
Gipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:16 AM   #9 (permalink)

MPG is higher.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubieDriver View Post
MPG is higher.
Never understood what people want from a two and a half ton vehicle MPG wise. These are big unaerodynamic vehicles. Only a diesel option would give a noticeable MPG bump. It’s science. 🤓
Gipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 01:45 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gipple View Post
Never understood what people want from a two and a half ton vehicle MPG wise. These are big unaerodynamic vehicles. Only a diesel option would give a noticeable MPG bump. It’s science. 🤓
For people movers gas mileage needs to be acceptable not stellar. Noone is expecting 40 mpg, but mid 20s is plenty doable. Our Odyssey, which outweighs the tribeca easily, can manage 21 average and 28/29 on the highway without riding the slow lane and loaded down with people and stuff. This isn't just a shortcoming of the Tribeca, many SUVs have this problem.

The average on our 07 is right around 17 mpg and that is with an old lady driving it, literally. But that gas tank size is pretty sad as well, I recall only ever fitting about 11-12 gallons on fillups. My legacy takes 14.5-15 gallons when the light is on.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:51 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gipple View Post
Took a close look at an Ascent today at a dealer. Nice car, but it isnt a massive difference to our Tribecas. Taller and longer hood. Higher rear lift gate with similar space behind the third row. Nice interior with better materials for the dash etc....
The captain chairs in the second row allow easier access to the third row.
Of course better and more capable electronic packages, but that is really it.
This is more an evolution of a three row vehicle, but SOA wants to get the stink of the Tribeca off them. My wife wasnt all that impressed and we both only wished for a bigger gas tank in the Tri.
We are also not fans of CVT transmissions.
I'm am going to go out on a limb and say you didn't actually drive it.
The two cars are in different classes altogether and the Ascents price tag confirms that.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:14 AM   #13 (permalink)
Moderator Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLsubies View Post
I'm am going to go out on a limb and say you didn't actually drive it.
The two cars are in different classes altogether and the Ascents price tag confirms that.
He also didn't speak to the biggest difference - combined 2nd & 3rd row legroom.

"The space behind the 3rd row is about the same." So what? The Tribeca's space behind the 3rd row isn't what caused people who wanted a 3 row vehicle not to buy it, it was the lack of room for any more than 2 adults or children in both rear rows that was the issue.

The Ascent isn't class leading in terms of interior room (longitudinal layout and not being the longest in class) but it's not at the back of the pack, either and that's the most important thing to me - we're starting to feel pretty cramped in our Tribeca with the kids getting older and having friends, things, and booster/car seats to take up all that extra space.

Plus, as you said, they're totally different animals. The Tribeca was based on the 4th gen Legacy platform. The Ascent uses the global platform which will be coming soon to the 7th gen Legacy, it's a HUGE difference in terms of evolution and Subaru has way more R&D resources these last few years than they did when they designed the Tribeca.

2018 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid

2006 GMC Envoy XL

2003 Subaru Baja 5MT Sport

Former Subarus:
08 Tribeca
12 Impreza
03 Forester
95 Outback
Wiscon_Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:38 AM   #14 (permalink)

Even with limited resources, I think they did a really nice job with the Tribeca. Built like a tank (with the gas mileage to prove it).

My only wish was that it was a little bigger inside, and better gas mileage. Aside from those, mine was a great vehicle. I had a couple people mistake mine for an Audi (from the back)
Old 02-11-2019, 07:40 PM   #15 (permalink)

The tribeca third row was definitely a novelty, we used it once or twice in 6 years of ownership and my parents have never used it. What the Tribeca does well, it does really well and looks aside I always considered it competitive with other SUVs. I found it odd it was dinged on fuel mileage when it was on par with any other AWD offerings in the market.

I do think the Tribeca has the best AWD system Subaru ever made. We never had an issue with traction and it never felt like the front end was getting loose like the other subies we have had. I honestly think of the Tribeca as the perfect platform to build a project car from for me, if I only had the time and money, lol.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:23 PM   #16 (permalink)
Moderator Elite

Yeah, that 55/45 power split (R/F) really helped keep understeer in check. With a good set of tires, the Tribeca is pretty unstoppable.

Having driven more modern autos (like the ZF8 I had in my Charger), the Tribeca feels a bit unresponsive, but I think it was really good for its time.

2006 GMC Envoy XL

Former Subarus:
08 Tribeca
12 Impreza
03 Forester
95 Outback
Old 02-13-2019, 05:18 AM   #17 (permalink)

It would have been nice to see Subaru use an 8spd ZF in the Ascent and I think it would have really earned them some brownie points with the performance community to use a transmission with some potential and great reliability. But I would still give the HT CVT a shot, a couple local dealers here offer lifetime warranties on the powertrains so I will be looking into that, and we will probably buy our first extended warranty in a long long time. I worry about all the electronics, especially the cameras and sensors.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:36 AM   #18 (permalink)
Moderator Elite

I still maintain that the CVT is misunderstood and maligned unfairly, especially by enthusiasts. It's so easy to mistake smooth for slow without hard shifts keeping your attention. If anything, Subaru's CVTs just have long gearing that causes slower 0-60 times. I found, after owning a CVT in my Impreza, that they provided better passing performance up top because they maximized the powerband where I would have been struggling in a manual, even though the manuals feel peppier with their much shorter gearing at slower speeds. I still think CVTs are a great option for the general public, even if they aren't exciting.
FLsubies and new stratos like this.

2006 GMC Envoy XL

Former Subarus:
08 Tribeca
12 Impreza
03 Forester
95 Outback