No more next Gen Tribeca? - SB9T.com
SB9T.com

Go Back   SB9T.com > Tribeca Owners' Lounge > News and Rumors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2015, 08:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default No more next Gen Tribeca?

Looks like Subaru may retire the Tribeca name. The next 7 seater will have a different name. Centauri, Cypress, Ascent, Meridian, Sojourn and Columbia. These names were being tested in a recent Subaru's survey.

I think Columbia is reasonable, but I personally like the Tribeca name and I hope the next 7 seater will still be called Tribeca.

Saw the story on Jalopnik
http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/subaru...nee-1707284884
laufu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2015, 04:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

I think that vehicle is awful looking. I remember when Subaru had no flair and some pretty awful looking boxy vehicles. I don't think the Subaru had many styling notes until maybe the mid 90's. If they released a box van 7 seater that looked like that picture it would be a step backwards. I really am not taken with the Exiga look but it beats this hands down.

Subaru Meridian sort of rolls off the tounge.

Me: 3 Tribecas (2008, 2011, 2014) 2017 3.6R Outback Touring Currently
Wife: 2016 Crosstrek

10th Subaru Family

Last edited by subiedan; 05-30-2015 at 04:46 PM.
subiedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 07:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Moderator Elite

That definitely won't be released in the states. It's reminiscent of some previously released Japan-only vehicles they have. Slow news day for Jalopnik.

I like Meridian, too. Or Centauri.

2018 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid

2006 GMC Envoy XL

2003 Subaru Baja 5MT Sport

Former Subarus:
08 Tribeca
12 Impreza
03 Forester
95 Outback
Wiscon_Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2015, 08:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by subiedan View Post
I think that vehicle is awful looking. I remember when Subaru had no flair and some pretty awful looking boxy vehicles. I don't think the Subaru had many styling notes until maybe the mid 90's. If they released a box van 7 seater that looked like that picture it would be a step backwards. I really am not taken with the Exiga look but it beats this hands down.

Subaru Meridian sort of rolls off the tounge.
If Subaru does not choose any of the names listed, maybe they should make up a name, like they did with Impreza.

The silver van is the Sambar. This is a Kei car for the Japanese market so therefore it is tiny, think Fiat 500 sized. Actually I am not sure this is even a real Subaru. I don't remember when, but Subaru abandoned the Kei market and began selling rebadged Daihatsu Kei cars.

Another fun fact, before Subaru built the Exiga for the Japanese market, Subaru sold a rebadged GM minivan as a placeholder. This was when Subaru was under GM control.
Old 05-30-2015, 10:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

I gotta say though, the Exiga Crossover7 looks like a nice car, and it wouldn't be too bad of a replacement for the Tribeca. New style, modern, and it looks spacious. Hopefully they make it a V6 though instead of the 2.5Turbo. V6 Turbo would be awesome.
halmn007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 07:25 AM   #6 (permalink)

They have not yet turboed the H6, but maybe next-gen? Crossover7 is smaller than our current Outback. If they make an up-sized version, it might work for the US market.

I'm still hoping for an lengthened Tribeca. I'd even be fine with a Subaru minivan.
SubieDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 09:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
Moderator Elite

I doubt they'd turbo the 3.6: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...highlight=fb25

Start at post #19 - there's quite a few reasons listed.

The other reson would be gas mileage, of course. It makes a lot more sense to use a turbo on a 4cylinder to make a good amount of power than to overpower a car and ruin the automaker's gas mileage average.

2018 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid

2006 GMC Envoy XL

2003 Subaru Baja 5MT Sport

Former Subarus:
08 Tribeca
12 Impreza
03 Forester
95 Outback
Wiscon_Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 09:20 AM   #8 (permalink)

Haven't they already said Tribeca won't be used for the next-gen?
I'm not sure I like any of the suggested names, but maybe Sojourn or Ascent.
Old 06-04-2015, 09:13 AM   #9 (permalink)

or Quadbeca, a follow-on for Tribeca...
(as in the comment below this article)
http://www.subienews.com/2015/06/wha...pick-a-winner/
Old 06-07-2015, 08:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

http://www.autonews.com/article/2015...o-offset-costs

I love seeing some sort of confirmation that the bits and pieces we have been hearing are coming together in the hoped-for puzzle, namely an H6 plus batteries. I do not care for the SVX, but this is crucial for the new 7 pax. If Subaru can deliver a sub-50,000, properly-sized 7 pax car powered by a naturally aspirated H6 and batteries, that would be an ideal replacement vehicle for our Tribeca AND it would allow me to hesitate less before turning my H6 OB into the (more or less) stealth over-lander I have long coveted!

Now, if the new 7-pax is a Mazda 5 re-do OR a 4,500 pounder motivated by a turbo 4, I am out.

As for the SVX, that is a prestige car that makes more sense to me than the bizarre idea to develop the BRZ. I fail to see the point of the BRZ, a great fun car, yes, but also a total waste of engineering resources for a cheap car with very poor sales. By contrast, if the SVX commands a hefty premium while cross-using a powertrain with the new 7 pax and the next H6 OB, then it will make a lot of sense.

As for the XV hybrid, it makes absolutely no sense, unless it was meant to serve as an in-house test-bed for the future 7 pax/SVX/top-of-the line OB. The idea to use Toyota's proven hybrid instead makes a ton of sense to me. I do not mind getting that stuff (or the nice interior fit and finish) from Toyota if we still get boxer engines and symmetrical AWD

The big BUT in the whole thing is, of course, price. If in three years they can have a lineup of XV in the 20-30,000 range, Forester in 25-35,000, Outback in sub-30,000 to 40,000 and the new 7 pax in 40-50,000 they should be fine.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:50 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleAgeSubie View Post
http://www.autonews.com/article/2015...o-offset-costs

I love seeing some sort of confirmation that the bits and pieces we have been hearing are coming together in the hoped-for puzzle, namely an H6 plus batteries. I do not care for the SVX, but this is crucial for the new 7 pax. If Subaru can deliver a sub-50,000, properly-sized 7 pax car powered by a naturally aspirated H6 and batteries, that would be an ideal replacement vehicle for our Tribeca AND it would allow me to hesitate less before turning my H6 OB into the (more or less) stealth over-lander I have long coveted!

Now, if the new 7-pax is a Mazda 5 re-do OR a 4,500 pounder motivated by a turbo 4, I am out.

As for the SVX, that is a prestige car that makes more sense to me than the bizarre idea to develop the BRZ. I fail to see the point of the BRZ, a great fun car, yes, but also a total waste of engineering resources for a cheap car with very poor sales. By contrast, if the SVX commands a hefty premium while cross-using a powertrain with the new 7 pax and the next H6 OB, then it will make a lot of sense.

As for the XV hybrid, it makes absolutely no sense, unless it was meant to serve as an in-house test-bed for the future 7 pax/SVX/top-of-the line OB. The idea to use Toyota's proven hybrid instead makes a ton of sense to me. I do not mind getting that stuff (or the nice interior fit and finish) from Toyota if we still get boxer engines and symmetrical AWD

The big BUT in the whole thing is, of course, price. If in three years they can have a lineup of XV in the 20-30,000 range, Forester in 25-35,000, Outback in sub-30,000 to 40,000 and the new 7 pax in 40-50,000 they should be fine.
This post from NASIOC show there is work on the next 7 seater. If this image is any indication, the 7 seater should be here by 2017. I am not sure if the year refers to model year or calendar year.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...5&postcount=10

If you read Fuji Heavy Industries PDF report, it shows they are working on introducing direct injection as well as cylinder deactivation for all engines.
This could offset the need for a hybrid for the time being until they have a more robust solution as opposed to the mild hybrid in the XV. Something as simple as start-stop system would do wonders for fuel economy.

I can accept the new 7 seater not be named Tribeca, but what I really want is a more spacious third row, a bigger fuel tank oh and a standard sized driver-side wiper arm!!!

The BRZ was paid for by Toyota. Since they were paying for development of a car, Subaru went along with it and decided to sell a version of it also. Subaru also had plans for this platform. A hatchback and a sedan was proposed but they never materialized. Well they did make a raised suspension BRZ hatchback concept called CrossSport.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-show...wagon-concept/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 121a59s.jpg (250.0 KB, 3 views)
Old 06-08-2015, 09:17 PM   #12 (permalink)

Thanks for the link.

With respect to the BRZ, I mentioned engineering, not financial resources. The opportunity cost was that of having those folks NOT working on models of actual importance to the bottom line. Funny how Subaru's management falls for such niche, totally out of line projects, yet would not provide us a bit more off-pavement ready trims on OBs and Foresters, or with a turbo Legacy wagon, all projects that can print money (be sold at hefty premiums far outstripping costs) in the US market for less production complexity. Good thing Subaru finally realized it should enhance brand value. Developing the STi idea is the ultra-obvious way to go, hopefully Toyota showed them the right way with the TRD line.

Cylinder deactivation may help existing models, but for a new 7 pax to avoid the Tribeca criticisms AND quickly establish itself in a category in which Subaru has not really existed yet, it cannot just show up with a fairly pedestrian solution and just average mpg numbers.

To really be a player in a segment like that, they need ROOMY, class-leading in mpg vehicle, preferably on established platform, read Toyota's hybrid. The bits and pieces promising a new 6 plus hybrid make too much sense to be ignored. The powerpoint also clearly shows "world-class" hybrids as a goal as early as 2017.

Even with just what is likely, I am VERY interested. Throw in adjustable suspension, full-size spare, and factory skid plates, and I will be among the first to pre-order, LOL! I know, the STi line is extremely unlikely to extend in that direction.

Last edited by MiddleAgeSubie; 06-08-2015 at 09:27 PM.
MiddleAgeSubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:30 PM   #13 (permalink)

Glad I could share.

I understand, but Subaru is not a big company, they only have so much engineering resources to go around. When Toyota came around and offered to co-develop a vehicle with Subaru, they agreed so they use the BRZ knowledge to improve the handling for the WRX.
This post from SOA Blog states this:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...postcount=3274

We currently don't know what category Subaru is aiming for with the 7 passenger. Are they going after mainstream SUVs like the Pilot, Highlander and Pathfinders or will they do something different and build a Ford Flex type vehicle from an enlarged Exiga?
Or dare I say minivan? Either way, all the conventional SUVs have an average MPG of 18/25 (the Hybrids are 25/28). If Tribeca replacement used the CVT with Active AWD (Not VTD) with current 3.6, I not be surprised if it hit 18/25.

I need to study up on Toyota's hybrid system, but if I am not mistaken, the only hybrid system that maybe compatible with Subaru is the expensive Lexus cars. The GS and LS use longitudinal layouts like Subaru, while the Camry, Highlanders and Prii(?) use transverse systems.

I agree with you on the STI line, we missed out on so many great tS (Tuned by STI) cars over here! Exiga tS...What Tribeca?
http://www.sti.jp/product/exigats/exterior_front.html
Old 06-09-2015, 10:26 PM   #14 (permalink)

I think Lexus is what the article mentioned, no? Or was it a different article?

Would a Lexus borrowing push them over 50,000? That would be too ambitious, I guess.

Prius is bad enough. Prii, ugh.

I agree that we do not really know anything for sure, but there was info that the new 7 pax would be a US vehicle, ergo a large crossover.

Secondly, the smaller, quasi 7-pax road was tried already.

Personally, I am quite confident that we will see a large 7 pax or nothing at all. Though that probably just means we will actually get a minivan...

Last edited by MiddleAgeSubie; 06-09-2015 at 10:31 PM.
MiddleAgeSubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:04 AM   #15 (permalink)

Push price up and compete with Highlander,Pilot,Mercedes, Audis. Can be tried but vehicle better be outstanding at the 40-50,000 range.
LORE BECA is offline   Reply With Quote