Subaru Recalls 634000 vehicles in The U.S. - Page 2 - SB9T.com
SB9T.com

Go Back   SB9T.com > Tribeca Owners' Lounge > News and Rumors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 11:15 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSiWRX
^ If you don't mind...

Please ask them about how you'd go about accessing the new in-line fuses if they should pop, due to moisture ingress.
Sorry, I didn't see your post until I already left.
Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2013, 11:59 AM   #22 (permalink)

Mine were put on by dealer after the car was bought, meaning they were not installed in factory. Water intrusion especially if flood high water will come in no mater if installed in factory or dealer. Rain in Texas is no issue in the last 4 years, but we also don't have salted roads for the snow. In retrospect if I knew about issue, I would have not installed. It was a cool novelty at the time with not a huge cost to install at dealer.
LORE BECA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:35 PM   #23 (permalink)

^ Exactly - that area's going to get wet no matter what, so it's really a design problem of the lamps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brien
Sorry, I didn't see your post until I already left.
^ That's OK. I was just wondering if this was going to be something that will be decently easy for the end-consumer to access and service (like other fuses), or if will always require a trip to the dealership, for those who are less inclined or skilled.
TSiWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2013, 05:51 AM   #24 (permalink)

My car was sitting in the shop from Monday till Friday. They were not able to get the parts to do the recall. When I picked it up, there was no explanation, no apology, no nothing. I did not ask. Took the keys and left.

I guess I will call them here and there to see if they go the parts and bring back the car.

Great customer focus they have.

"HOW LONG WILL THE REPAIR TAKE? 

The actual time to inspect your vehicle and, if necessary, install in-line fuses is approximately 30 minutes. Any other repairs could take up to an additional 25 minutes. However, it may be necessary to leave your vehicle for a longer period of time on the day of your scheduled appointment to allow your dealer flexibility in scheduling. "
subbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:37 AM   #25 (permalink)

That is just not right.

Call Subaru Customer Service to report?

Recalls should take priority. Look at how Toyota handled its customers......
Old 03-05-2013, 07:59 AM   #26 (permalink)

Call dealer and see if parts are available or tell them to order parts after proof of lamps and then when they come in for them to call you to schedule appointment of 1-2 hours to install. That is ridiculous not having your vehicle for a week and nothing done to fix issue you brought it in for!
Old 03-05-2013, 08:19 AM   #27 (permalink)

It was my decision to leave the car there. They said that it will take 2-3 days to get the parts. So I figured I will leave the car there for 3 days max instead of driving there picking up the car and then doing the whole circus one more time. Too much time involved, too much driving.

However they were not able to get the parts in 5 days.

The other thing was that I called in for the appointment and explained what is needed. I was even asked if I want to wait while the car is serviced. LOL!!! If they are not ready to do recalls they should not drag people in.

I do not want to upset the dealer by complaining. I want them to do it right and be done with it. I do not want them to retaliate by doing sloppy work.

It is unbelievable that some people can perform like this and there is no consequence.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:02 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbus
I do not want to upset the dealer by complaining. I want them to do it right and be done with it. I do not want them to retaliate by doing sloppy work.
^ That's certainly a valid concern, however, in the vast majority of cases we've seen in various Subaru hobbyist communities, such retaliation has not been the case. Subaru Corporate typically "sets them right."
Old 04-16-2013, 10:08 AM   #29 (permalink)

...continuing.....Well, I filled out a web form on the dealer web site asking if the parts are there. I got an email in next couple of days that the parts are there.

I could just make an appointment online but decided to call. Sure enough the parts are not there and will take Subaru about 30 days to get the parts to the dealerships.

Pissed, I asked to speak with a service manager. They were all busy so I left a short phone message.

Did anybody got their LEDs replaced?
Old 04-16-2013, 11:07 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Pissed, I asked to speak with a service manager.
That is frustrating, indeed.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:59 AM   #31 (permalink)

I had the lights installed before taking delivery. (Not factory installed but dealer installed). I can't believe Subaru did not gear up for this recall. With all the problems everyone is having I am willing to wait a couple months before making an appointment. We have very little use of road salt in our area so I believe this is not a big gamble or safety issue for me. What a frustrating inconvenience for all of us.
subiedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:23 AM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
...continuing.....Well, I filled out a web form on the dealer web site asking if the parts are there. I got an email in next couple of days that the parts are there.

I could just make an appointment online but decided to call. Sure enough the parts are not there and will take Subaru about 30 days to get the parts to the dealerships.

Pissed, I asked to speak with a service manager. They were all busy so I left a short phone message.

Did anybody got their LEDs replaced?
I received no call from the manager. They do not care.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:39 AM   #33 (permalink)

I am quite certain Subaru Corporate cares but it sure sounds like your dealer is not interested in selling you another Subaru in the future. As TSiWRX has stated I would call corporate now and let them know how disappointed you are. I would also be sure to let them know that you gave the dealer a chance to resolve the issue first with not even a call back.

When you buy they (the dealer) wants you to give them positive feedback when Corporate sends out a survey. It is now time to give them a bloody nose.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:48 PM   #34 (permalink)

Some insight provided by my Subaru Service Manager.

I made an appointment today with my dealer. I mentioned what I have read on this site and explained there is a lot of frustration among owners over this recall nationwide. I was very specific that I did not want to come in just to find out parts were not available.

He asked if I had any lights out. I do not. He said then we have the fusable links to satisfy the recall. He explained that when Subaru Corporate was gearing up for this recall they knew they would have to fix or replace those puddle lights that had failed. They estimated that number to be about 3% of the lights in the field. The stock was increased to satisfy the estimate. In reality he said about 50% of the lights have issues. Consequently the puddle lights are now on back-order. The dealers are not having any problem getting the fused harness to place in the vehicles. I live in an area that uses very little road salt so I should be okay.

The one question I have is what about future failures of lights not potted. I use that word from memory but I believe a design change now seals the light or encapsulates the light to prevent any moisture infiltration. Given the location of the lights I would think this should have been done in the first place. If I have any surprises or new information after my vehicle is fixed I will let all of you know.

Last edited by subiedan; 04-23-2013 at 04:07 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:54 PM   #35 (permalink)

^ Cool beans. Thanks!
Old 04-24-2013, 10:23 AM   #36 (permalink)

This is a patch and not a fix obviously. If a fire occurs, then Subaru will wish they fixed the issues.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:20 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORE BECA
This is a patch and not a fix obviously. If a fire occurs, then Subaru will wish they fixed the issues.
That is why the fuse is installed. The fuse blows, LEDs stop working, but no fire.

The next is a trip to the dealer to replace the fuse and fix the short circuit at their $100/h assuming that after the recall they will not do these fixes for free.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:37 PM   #38 (permalink)

^ That would be a sucky patch, indeed.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:37 AM   #39 (permalink)

Okay my recall fix is complete. The harness (two of them, one for each side) are installed inside the cavity between the fender and the inner fender skirt. Good peace of mind that my car will not catch fire inside the garage. Of course the bad is where the fused harness is located. If there is a problem not an easy place to get to.

As far as future failure of puddle lights, my service manager is telling me they will be serviced for free. This is not in writing and I am sure some time restraints would apply. I also have a feeling this was a good will gesture since my wife and I have purchased three cars from this dealer.

The total repair time was about 30 minutes. Good luck to all.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:04 PM   #40 (permalink)

^ Thanks for the update!

Hopefully, if that component in my wife's '13 FXT Touring is any indication, the revision will work well, and not give you guys much - if any - trouble.