Cadillac ATS Brembo Calipers swap to Tribeca - SB9T.com
SB9T.com

Go Back   SB9T.com > Tribeca Technical > Suspension & Braking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2019, 08:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Cadillac ATS Brembo Calipers swap to Tribeca

Hi guys
Any of you have tray this swap of Brembo calipers to Tribeca? Sounds very interesting, but will these calipers make any improvement in braking power compering with OEM calipers and Hawks pads?

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho....php?t=2773522

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ofn9qgdFsU
lutek34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2019, 05:53 AM   #2 (permalink)

I found it was cheaper and easier to just use 2008+ STI calipers
Rising_Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 07:21 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising_Sun View Post
I found it was cheaper and easier to just use 2008+ STI calipers
how much you have paid for set of front STI calipers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2019, 03:41 AM   #4 (permalink)

Pricing and shipping of used parts varies a fair amount, if international that equation is probably even more complicated.

https://www.ebay.com/bhp/sti-calipers

what are you trying to do or perform?

Properly working OEM calipers lock the wheels up and the ABS overrides the stock calipers clamping anyway - thereby making calipers in some ways irrelevant for daily drivers. For me, bigger calipers are going to respond identically to stock - they're going to clamp, unclamp as the ABS pleases, not as the caliper pleases. Different calipers aren't going to "lock up the ABS more" or override the ABS and make it "go quicker" or "pulse faster" or "clamp harder".

There are times when it matters - usually heat related high performance like maybe postal/delivery or racing or towing 3,000 pounds regularly down 8% grades...hence the question what you trying to improve?

Tires and master cylinder braces can greatly improving braking distance and/or feel. If youre chasing an issue or lacking feeling, a focused overhaul of pins, bushings, grease, and fluid changes is in order rather than inordinate focus on calipers/pads/rotors that most people run to.
idosubaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 11:07 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by idosubaru View Post
what are you trying to do or perform?

I'm not trying to do anything, I'm staying with OEM calipers and just ordered 2 sets of PowerStop Z23 pads.
But there are people which instaled STI calipers in Tribeca and they are saying its improvement in breaking power and breaks feeling. So instead of spending $800 on set of used STI calipers, you can get pretty similar calipers for $240 plus $200 on necessary hardware.
Old 02-27-2019, 03:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

I agree, the stock Tribeca brakes feel really good to me. My 2005 outback XT brakes really felt soft, never could get them to feel right. I suspect they needed a bigger caliper for the bigger wheel for the XT (They used the same caliper as the NA engine with smaller wheels).

Tom
tdelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 08:34 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutek34 View Post
how much you have paid for set of front STI calipers?
I purchased the calipers from my local parts store for $160 each.
Rising_Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 10:27 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutek34 View Post
But there are people which instaled STI calipers in Tribeca and they are saying its improvement in breaking power and breaks feeling.
The tribeca is a pig of a car for Subaru so they are big and heavy, it might be helpful. But first....

It's often not the calipers causing the improvement when people swap. Stock and swapped rotors both simply clamp and will lock the rotor up, can't change that.

It could be placebo affect. And mechanically the most likely improvement is that during the caliper swap they have to flush the fluid, regrease the pins, replace pads/clips/rotors. That is what is usually improving the braking. All of which can easily be done on the stock components without replacing the calipers or brackets.

Flush the fluid, properly regrease the pins and install new pads and pad clips and you'll have all the improvement they've seen.

For a cheap "test" - you can flush the fluid and make sure the pads and pins are moving freely. Fluid and labor is the only costs.

Master cylinder braces are probably worth looking into if there's any that fit the tribeca.
idosubaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 06:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

Stainless braided brake lines made a big improvement in my brakes. Much cheaper and easier than a swap to something else. The reason to go with bigger brakes is a larger heat sink which you want on the track or in the mountains where you use the brakes hard and repeatedly. Less chance of having them overheat and crack. I haven't done more aggressive pads, but that would be another thing to improve the braking. Big brake kits do however look trick looking through the wheels, no getting around that
Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote