Hood defect in 2006 Subaru Tribec - SB9T.com
SB9T.com

Go Back   SB9T.com > Off-Topic > Off-Topic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2016, 02:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hood defect in 2006 Subaru Tribec

We are buying a car for our grandson. We were going to go look at a used 2006 Subaru B9 Tribec but I have been reading all the posts and read some on carscomplaints.com. How serious is the problem with the hood flying up and the latch not working. Should we keep looking?
Catlady1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2016, 03:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

It's not serious if you ask me. There are 2 mechanisms that latch the hood. The failure only results in a incident if the primary hood latch isn't properly latched. This can happen either by the owner or during service.

A simple relube solves the problem for now and a new latch mechanism will be coming soon that will replace the one that can have an issue.

The free future replacement is not a reason to be considered in a 10k+ purchase. Until replaced, be more vigilent to verify the primary latch is properly engaged, especially after service (Jiffy Lube)!
tdelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 05:10 AM   #3 (permalink)

You haven't ruled out the millions of vehicles with potentionally deadly airbags and recalls from the Tekata airbag debacle, a hood and broken windshield with a recall/TSB are low grade concern.
http://www.airbagrecall.com/home/

Most cars have a TSB or recalls, not a big deal. Check them and make sure they're completed on that vehicle and the airbags/hoods haven't been replace with used parts from a wreck (very rare).
idosubaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2016, 03:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

Got the definitive hood replacement done, car was in for other work and they said the hood parts were in so got it all done at same time. Never had a letter/email from SOA about parts being available. Folks may just want to check with their dealer. Not sure how long it took them to actually do the latch. They dont seem to have greased it up crazy like when they were new, seems they are using a near clear lubricant this time.
cptplt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptplt View Post
Got the definitive hood replacement done, car was in for other work and they said the hood parts were in so got it all done at same time. Never had a letter/email from SOA about parts being available. Folks may just want to check with their dealer. Not sure how long it took them to actually do the latch. They dont seem to have greased it up crazy like when they were new, seems they are using a near clear lubricant this time.
Classic example of the entire disconnect between the whole OEM/dealer/consumer relationship.

I remember the recall on the puddle lights back in the day. I would like to say it was 18 to 24 months AFTER recall letter was received until our dealer had the parts. From definitive recall decision at SOA to consumer being satisfied with the product could be in the area of 36 months!

Here's to hoping Tesla keeps shaking up the automobile distribution relationship model.
nribs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 08:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptplt View Post

Yeah, I went to the dealership for the airbag thing and they said between Oct-Dec for the Tribeca, but that the Hood replacement was already in and I could have it done that day.
H3TRIH3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 04:13 AM   #7 (permalink)

Default Airbags

I was informed late December early January for the Tribeca airbags, but they were starting to get in outback or forester parts in now.
pdt060776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 04:15 AM   #8 (permalink)

Default Airbags

Ok btw Subaru are offering free car rental if you have a vehicle that is involved in the recall
pdt060776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 12:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdt060776 View Post
Ok btw Subaru are offering free car rental if you have a vehicle that is involved in the recall
So that essentially includes millions of subaru owners. I doubt they will give you a rental. However, how does one go about getting one?
michaelhinchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 01:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

Seems like there are a fair amount of dealers who are doing this just based on casual posts here. Might want to call and ask instead of wasting time going down there.
06 7 str. Ltd Sa Wht Prl 170k, JDM Eng 48k, blk lea, OEM rub mats, pdl lts, 7 str cgo tray, cgo nets, Audiovox 13.3" overhead DVD player, FM Trans, Osram Rallye 65W low bms, Garmin Nuvi 2597LMT, Mishimoto Oil Drn Plg, M1AFE 0-30, M1 75-90 Diffs, Valvoline Imp. MV ATF, Bfld Ctch Cns w/ drn, PK GL Lifetime w/ SCC, SUM - 255/55/18 Firestone Dest LE2s on Drk Gry Plastidipped Stockers WNTR - Hankook Icept Evo2 SUV 235/65/17s on Gunmetal Drag DR-62s, MNRF defl, SLTD/DRLD rotors cer pads, 2k11 LG wprs
06b9beca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 03:24 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06b9beca View Post
Seems like there are a fair amount of dealers who are doing this just based on casual posts here. Might want to call and ask instead of wasting time going down there.
Well I would love a loaner but I get the sneaky suspicion that they would need my car at least on their lot and since mine wont move I dont see this happening. Maybe Ill just to it there.lOL
michaelhinchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 05:51 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelhinchey View Post
Well I would love a loaner but I get the sneaky suspicion that they would need my car at least on their lot and since mine wont move I dont see this happening. Maybe Ill just to it there.lOL
Maybe you could tow it there but negotiate first.
06 7 str. Ltd Sa Wht Prl 170k, JDM Eng 48k, blk lea, OEM rub mats, pdl lts, 7 str cgo tray, cgo nets, Audiovox 13.3" overhead DVD player, FM Trans, Osram Rallye 65W low bms, Garmin Nuvi 2597LMT, Mishimoto Oil Drn Plg, M1AFE 0-30, M1 75-90 Diffs, Valvoline Imp. MV ATF, Bfld Ctch Cns w/ drn, PK GL Lifetime w/ SCC, SUM - 255/55/18 Firestone Dest LE2s on Drk Gry Plastidipped Stockers WNTR - Hankook Icept Evo2 SUV 235/65/17s on Gunmetal Drag DR-62s, MNRF defl, SLTD/DRLD rotors cer pads, 2k11 LG wprs
06b9beca is offline   Reply With Quote