Tribeca Misfire & Random issues - SB9T.com
SB9T.com

Go Back   SB9T.com > Tribeca Technical > Engine, Power, and Performance

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tdelker

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2019, 10:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Tribeca Misfire & Random issues

Hi everyone,

I recently bought a 3.0 Tribeca. It had the CEL on (not flashing), VDC & CC light flashing. Went and diagnose it, had misfires on 2 & 4. We assumed the spark plugs, as they weren't changed in a long time and the car also has LPG.

Cleared all the errors, 1 week drive, nothing showed up (both on gas and LPG). After 1 week, check engine was back on. Checked the codes again, this time was cylinder 1. The next day, CEL started flashing, and engine shaking at idle.

What have I done thus far:

- changed spark plugs
- checked coils
- checked injectors
- checked compression

At this point there is misfire only on cyl 1. The odd thing is that the flashing CEL, idle shaking and power loss happen from time to time. It can run 5 minutes shaking, then 20 minutes CEL stops flashing and it works like a charm, then CEL starts flashing again...and so on.

Any ideas where should go next? I'm thinking either ECU or some electrical issues somewhere.

Thank you for your answers and sorry for any mistakes, as English isn't my native language.
b0stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2019, 11:10 AM   #2 (permalink)

Try moving the coil on spark plugs around to see if it follows. Same for the injectors (more them around). No codes with the Variable Valve Timing? No other codes at all?

Assuming you have narrowed it down to spark, If it isn't the coil, and it isn't the wire to the coil from the ECU, then it is in the ECU itself.

Tom
FLsubies likes this.
tdelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 06:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

Sounds like the issue ours had, drove fine for a while then would start missing. Shut it down and it started up fine. I checked everything along with allowing the dealer over a day of diagnostics, we came to the same conclusion it was a bad ECU.

I am assuming you have already had the battery tested as well and eliminated any issues with grounds on the engine block.
FLsubies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
misfire, tribeca