Rear Main Seal? - SB9T.com
SB9T.com

Go Back   SB9T.com > Tribeca Technical > Engine, Power, and Performance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2019, 06:05 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Rear Main Seal?

My gf took her 07 in for an oil change (I'm currently out of town) they immediately told her she had an oil leak and it looked like it was coming from the rear main seal. She told me that something is burning (I'd imagine oil hitting the exhaust). My question is, how can you positively identify a rear main seal leak and if it is, how big of a pain are they to change? (im mechanically inclined).
Srtspence is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2019, 10:44 AM   #2 (permalink)

Unlikely. Much more likely it is valve cover gaskets or the oil cooler, both drip on to the exhaust.

Rear main seal would mean taking the engine out or dropping the transmission.

To find oil leaks, take your car to a car wash and clean the engine bay really well. Then inspect every day. Oil will get blown all around so look to the front for the source.

Tom
tdelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 11:02 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdelker View Post
Unlikely. Much more likely it is valve cover gaskets or the oil cooler, both drip on to the exhaust.

To find oil leaks, take your car to a car wash and clean the engine bay really well. Then inspect every day. Oil will get blown all around so look to the front for the source.

Tom

Yea, but is there a way to rule out the rear main without pulling the ending or dropping the tranny?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2019, 12:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdelker View Post

Tom

Yea, but is there a way to rule out the rear main without pulling the ending or dropping the tranny?
Old 10-23-2019, 03:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
avk

If this is a visible leak, pictures would help.
avk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 09:55 AM   #6 (permalink)

Yea, but is there a way to rule out the rear main without pulling the ending or dropping the tranny?[/QUOTE]

Yes, you look for other signs of a leak first. The way the engine and transmission mount together makes it very difficult to check for a rear main leak. Subarus have plenty of other areas they leak oil, and most of those will result in smelling burnt oil. Eliminate the alternatives first.
Subie Band Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 11:02 AM   #7 (permalink)

So I finally got around to checking this out. I cleaned as best I could. Let the car run for about 15 minutes and checked it out. Found 3 spots. The largest one was under the driver's side cat (about 6" in diameter). I couldn't see where it was coming from. The 2 smaller ones were from the timing chain cover and oil cooler. Could the large one be the valve cover gasket?