2008 3.6L Timing - SB9T.com
SB9T.com

Go Back   SB9T.com > Tribeca Technical > Engine, Power, and Performance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2019, 01:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2008 3.6L Timing

I am having issues putting our Tribeca back together and the timing is my main issue right now. Are there members that are familiar or are experienced in getting the timing marks, chains and cogs reinstalled? There needs to be a 1-800 hotline for this! Worse thing, I've done it before so I don't understand what is wrong this time.
Subie Band Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2019, 07:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

So, maybe no one is jumping into major engine repairs on the 3.6L?

So, I will try to update my own thread: I think I have discovered the cause of all of my headaches, a bad chain tensioner on the crank to oil pump timing chain. I have discovered that it "gives" when I push on it with just my hand, while it is installed. So, I ordered all new tensioners, all new guides and the timing chain between the crank and oil pump.

I am still wondering about the timing of the drivers side of the engine to the passenger side. The cams on the driver's side seem to just lock into place with the arrow pointing at 12:00 but the passenger side I have to turn the cams a half turn, where they still have some tension on them, but only this position will have the arrows pointing at 12:00. Not sure if this is normal and I am just forgetting that from the last time I had the engine apart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190817_115153.jpg (867.6 KB, 9 views)
Old 09-05-2019, 10:06 AM   #3 (permalink)

https://www.sb9t.com/forums/17-engin...7-3-0r-h6.html

Try to get psygnal11's attention...
tdelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2019, 04:36 AM   #4 (permalink)

Am I hearing two concerns - cam loading and loose tensioner?

Some of the cams are loaded and some aren't depending how much the cam lobes are compressing the valve springs on that cam. The loaded ones can seem to be on a tightwire and want to snap out of position - just move them slowly and carefully.

Line your marks up - carefully rotating the loaded cams into position and install the chain.

Did you remove and install the tensioners? Did one seem different than the other, did you try cleaning them, you can compare them since they function the same.
idosubaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 01:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by idosubaru View Post
Am I hearing two concerns - cam loading and loose tensioner?

Yes so to eliminate one of the issues I have ordered all tensioners and guides.

Some of the cams are loaded and some aren't depending how much the cam lobes are compressing the valve springs on that cam. The loaded ones can seem to be on a tightwire and want to snap out of position - just move them slowly and carefully.

Line your marks up - carefully rotating the loaded cams into position and install the chain.

That answers my question, I was worried that something was wrong and the passenger side cam should be without tension

Did you remove and install the tensioners? Did one seem different than the other, did you try cleaning them, you can compare them since they function the same.

The parts have come in now but I haven't had a chance to work on it hopefully this weekend or maybe one day this week after work. Thanks for the response it really was what I was hoping to hear.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

Looks like the non-starting issues have to do with the crankshaft position sensor being damaged after hitting the plate it uses. No idea how they hit since these are original Subaru OEM Parts, but it looks like the engine is coming back out so I can inspect and probably replace the Crankshaft Timing Plate on the back of the engine. Anyone ever have the sensor impact the plate before?
Old 09-17-2019, 02:53 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subie Band Wagon View Post
Looks like the non-starting issues have to do with the crankshaft position sensor being damaged after hitting the plate it uses. No idea how they hit since these are original Subaru OEM Parts, but it looks like the engine is coming back out so I can inspect and probably replace the Crankshaft Timing Plate on the back of the engine. Anyone ever have the sensor impact the plate before?
How was that diagnosed, Is that a positive diagnosis?

You didn’t remove the flex plate?

never heard of or seen it. Those are simple systems. it was probably caused by something:

1. the sensor was worked on, maybe before you owned it. I’ve seen stripped H6 crank sensor bolts, but they stay in place still because they’re under no load.

2. Something fell into the bell housing, like a tool or bolt while removing the flex plate bolts.

3. something was compromised during engine removal/install. The plate was caught, swung into, set on, “dropped”, leveraged...

I can’t picture how that would easily happen but who knows....?

Maybe it’ll be obvious when you get in there where it started.

Last edited by idosubaru; 09-17-2019 at 02:58 AM.
idosubaru is offline   Reply With Quote