Problems with my 2007 B9 Tribeca - SB9T.com
SB9T.com

Go Back   SB9T.com > Tribeca Technical > Engine, Power, and Performance

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2019, 06:11 PM  

Question Problems with my 2007 B9 Tribeca

Hi guys, I bought a 2007 B9 Tribeca about a month ago, it has 148,xxx miles on it. It works great until recently, I got couple problems with it which hoping to find out how to fix them:
Problem #1
The instrument cluster is not working the way it should. Start from couple days ago, all the other thing works except the rev, it doesn't show the rev anymore, I check those wires behind the instrument cluster, nothing loose. How do I fix it? Is there a sensor somewhere I can check out?
Problem #2
The rear entertainment system doesn't work, the only thing it does is those
light around the DVD insert blink, that's it. I checked all the fuses, they all look good.
Problem #3
Remote Start is not working as it should. When I use the remote start, the car will start up for couple second, then it kills itself. Right after it kills itself, it tries to start up by itself automatically, and it does start but I feel like it doesn't know the car is started. Just like when you start your car with your actual key and keep turning after the car is on, then kill itself again after like 10 seconds. Where should I start looking?
That's all the problems I got with my car, Thank you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190617_001444.jpg (839.6 KB, 9 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2019, 11:46 AM  

Is your remote start an aftermarket component? Is that OEM? What key combo do you use to start it?
Old 06-20-2019, 07:32 PM  

Default Key Combo

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmOSuyMjHZoelEoGSR2SLYPnl6At
This is the key combo I am using, I think it is the OEM one...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190620_193407.jpg (1.01 MB, 8 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2019, 04:24 AM  
avk

Instrument cluster receives data on a network (CAN bus). If the cluster shows signs of life, then the wiring is good. Perhaps something is borked with the remote start install, because it also uses tachometer signal. The actual tach signal comes from ECM which pulses fuel injectors, and BCM encodes it and sends to the cluster. This would be easier to understand if the remote start was installed with wire taps and you ended up with a broken wire, but this system is supposedly all plug-and-play. Looks like it's time to dive under the dash.
Old 06-21-2019, 06:14 AM  

You will need to dive in to the wiring diagram. Avk has you on the right track.

For example, from a 2008 XT remote start:

"Okay. In your wiring diagrams, find the pages titled Remote Engine Start. The ECM is indicated at the lower left. There's a connection from ECM pin C22 to the remote start module (RSM) pin 3. According to the ECM input/output table, pin 22 at the ECM is the engine speed data output. This pin connects to the remote start module, but also to the instrument panel for the tachometer. So if the tachometer works properly, ECM pin 22 is supplying the signal it should. (Granted, that's at the ECM. The wiring from the ECM to the RSM could be faulty.)"

This won't be exactly the same, but it is similar to our Tribeca. Sounds like the wire from the ECM that provides the Tach signal is broken somewhere.

https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...stalled-2.html
Old 06-27-2019, 05:53 PM  

Sounds like a hell of a process coming ahead, but thanks for all the information, I will start working on it, thanks!!!
Old 07-02-2019, 03:43 PM  

Unhappy Quick update

So...I started from the ECM and the BCM to see if there is any wires issue...well, I found nothing wrong except for the green plug in the pictures were not plugged in before, so I plug them together, what happened next was the check engine light turned on and producing codes saying low voltage on the ignition and something wrong with the MAF. However, as soon as I unplug them, all the data went back to normal and the check engine light went off, what is that plug? It is under the trim under the glove compartment. The car is running perfectly without it plugs together the whole time I have the car

Also, I checked in my obd2 sensor, I got rpm in it. So, I am guessing the car is reading the rmp, just not showing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190628_192602.jpg (588.0 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Testing; 07-02-2019 at 03:46 PM.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:37 AM  

That is a programming cable
Old 07-03-2019, 09:26 AM  

The green plug is a test connector used for diagnosing mode. It runs through a sequence of relays, fans, lights, etc.
Old 07-09-2019, 01:20 PM  

Ok, thanks, but why all those codes show up once I plug them in and just disappear as soon as I unplug them? Is it normal?
Old 07-10-2019, 06:28 AM  

It is normal. It is per design for a specific use.
Old 07-13-2019, 09:58 PM  

Ok, thank you for telling me that

Tags
2007 subaru tribeca, instrument cluster, rear entertainment system, remote start