P0420 p0137 - Page 2 - SB9T.com
SB9T.com

Go Back   SB9T.com > Tribeca Technical > Engine, Power, and Performance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2019, 01:44 PM   #21 (permalink)

If the obd connector is type 2 AND the cabling is correct you should be able to use it
If not there are some cheap (sub $20 Coworker has this one) bluetooth ones on amazon. They require a phone app but work decent.

I think the 06 , 07 use ISO 14230 KWP2000
The rest should use ISO 15765 CAN

Last edited by Witmarquzot; 02-07-2019 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Added url to bluetooth one
Witmarquzot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2019, 01:34 AM   #22 (permalink)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VAG-COM-KKL...ubyk:rk:8:pf:0

FreeSSM or if you want to see graphs get RomRaider
lutek34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 03:08 AM   #23 (permalink)
DJB

Or you can use a wireless OBD adapter with a phone app. I have an ELM327 type adapter and use an app called ‘Four stroke’ which is excellent. Only downside is that you cannot log data with this. For logging data, best to use ROM raider (with VAGcom cable).
DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2019, 08:39 AM   #24 (permalink)

Romraider will give you all you need from a standard OBD2 cable. You don't need the tactrix cable unless you are programming the ECU.
tdelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 08:35 AM   #25 (permalink)

So been insane busy so havent had time to set up a logger yet. But. checked the codes again and now I am only getting the P0420. The P0137 has now been fixed by the new O2 sensor and removal of the extension I assume. Will work on logging data this weekend when I have more time. Seems like more and more its looking like the cat is bad.
Muskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 12:08 PM   #26 (permalink)

If you can find a Air/Fuel sensor for not to much , you may try changing out that as well (side of the cat) and see if you just had two bad sensors from excess exhaust gases. Simpler than replacing the cat but not cheap (~$150 to $450, each).
Witmarquzot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:58 AM   #27 (permalink)
DJB

I think that the P0420 code only comes from data from the rear sensor so swapping out the AFR sensor won’t help. Bad cat, electrical fault or a misfire/fuelling issue would be my best guess at the moment. Let’s hope that it’s not the last one since that’ll be expensive to fix.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:06 AM   #28 (permalink)

It could very well be a product of the misfires I was chasing earlier. First bought the car and had misfire cylinder 2,3 and 4. Swapped plugs and they were horrific. Got misfire again on cylinders 2 and 3. put 6 new coils in and havent had misfire again. So thinking it gummed everything up. Downstream O2 was sooty and had an extension on it. New O2 has remained clean and now no P0137 code since removing the extension. Leads me to believe the misfire condition has screwed the cat. No idea how long PO ran with misfire codes.
Old 02-15-2019, 01:50 PM   #29 (permalink)
DJB

Yes, what you’re suggesting might be correct. In which case, both cats could be defective since the misfires were on both sides. The P0420 code doesn’t tell you which side is bad. Still strongly recommend logging fuel trims before replacing cats.
Old 07-25-2019, 01:16 PM   #30 (permalink)

Just to update, both cats were indeed bad. Replaced passenger side first as it was the one which had the bad rear O2 sensor. Upon inspection, it was pretty gummed up. Code came back. Ran a live data and found voltage was all over the place on rear O2 sensor on drivers side. Swapped sensor with the new one installed on passenger side. Voltage was still crazy. Replaced cat on drivers side and have now ran without the engine light coming back on. Voltage is now the same on both rear O2 sensors. Appreciate all the help. Still chasing a few things on this car so will likely be posting another hesitation issue shortly.
Old 07-25-2019, 01:24 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
Still chasing a few things on this car so will likely be posting another hesitation issue shortly.
This may be the root cause of the bad converters. I'd track that down sooner rather than later so the new converters aren't degraded due to the poor running.
idosubaru is offline   Reply With Quote