Adding USB & Bluetooth with Grom - SB9T.com
SB9T.com

Go Back   SB9T.com > Tribeca Technical > Interior

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2019, 02:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Adding USB & Bluetooth with Grom

Hello,
just got this 06 Tribeca and being a Tekki I miss USB & Bluetooth. Fm transmitter works alright but then I came across this gadget:
Grom Audio USB3 (SUB08U3)
Says it plugs into the CD-Changer slot in the back of the stereo. This would show everything on the system screen too.
Has anybody used such a thing? and how hard would it be to get to the back of the radio unit?
cheers
Windschief is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2019, 03:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Pretty detailed video on getting to the guts of the console

This video shows how to remove all the trim and console pieces to get to the main radio control box. I would think from there it would be simple to get to the back of the CD component. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRyHv5dI9QE
darnallb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 04:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

thank you, that looks simple enough. If anybody has something like it installed let us know how it works and if it is much better than just an FM transmitter (like sound quality and ease of use)
cheers
Windschief is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2019, 06:09 AM   #4 (permalink)

I would like some info on this also if someone has installed this and how well it worked. If I go this route I would be purchasing the Grom unit for SAT and also purchase the HD FM tuner that way while you are listening to the radio and your phone rings it will alert you through the factory radio and you can answer without switching inputs. without FM HD adapter if you are listening to regular FM and a call comes in you will hear it through your phone only then you need to hit SAT or CD on your factory radio to hear it through the cars speakers.
81vwcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 07:43 AM   #5 (permalink)

I have used a GROM is 3 cars. A 1995 Volvo 960, 2002 Chevy Suburban and 2005 Volvo XC90, with great success. As with anything, there is a learning curve, but the sound is FAR superior to those crappy FM things. Streaming bluetooth and ipod worked flawlessly. Call quality was lacking but I think that has more to do with microphone placement than the unit itself as it worked pretty good when the car was parked. There were times when it would lose connection and I'd need to reconnect, but these were few. It isn't perfect but a solid 8.5 / 10. Their customer service is amazing too. Sometimes you will need to flash the unit with new firmware for it to function but they send you the flash and walk you through it. I will say, though, I just bought one for my daughter's1998 Toyota Avalon that we have not been able to get functioning. We are trying to determine if it is the GROM or the actual stereo.
NatetheSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 02:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

So the 2006 was the only model that didn't have an Aux input. Someone put together some instructions on how to add one but it won't show any information on the screen. I use one of those bluetooth aux things for handfree calling and music. It's not ideal but it's easier than what you're proposing.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AuxInstall.pdf (831.8 KB, 11 views)
thefro is offline   Reply With Quote