Sun visor squeaks like crazy - SB9T.com
SB9T.com

Go Back   SB9T.com > Tribeca Technical > Interior
Home Forums Register FAQ Community Calendar Advertise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2013, 05:02 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Sun visor squeaks like crazy

Ive tried to search for an answer but haven't found anything.
When I rotate the visors up or down they creak like an old wooden door in a horror movie.
Anybody have this problem or know of a quick fix.
It's an 08 Limited.
JimLev is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2013, 08:09 AM   #2 (permalink)

Mine did the same thing. I would try a small amount of 100% silicone spray. Silicone does not leave an oily residue that would attract dirt. Just use a little it will go a long way.
subiedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:12 AM   #3 (permalink)

The squeak is in the rod that goes into the visor. There is no space to get the plastic tip inside the visor.
How did you get the silicon into the visor?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2013, 12:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

Jim it was a suggestion. I never treated mine. I wound up selling my 08 to my sister-in-law. I always thought the creak was coming from the plastic hinge/retainer. The only way you could try to get the silicone down the shaft would be to remove the visor, stand it on end and let the liquid run in. The only question is how is the lighted vanity mirror wired? Is there a way to unplug it? Sorry for offering a remedy without really knowing the problem.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:02 AM   #5 (permalink)

I'll try that method and see if it helps.
I would assume that there has to be a connector for the vanity light.
I did try to pop out the little plastic tab looking thing where the metal rod goes into the roof but it wasn't budging.
Do you know if that piece suppose to come out in order to remove the visor rod from the roof?
Old 12-11-2013, 01:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

Our's does the same thing. I actually now think it's broken. I doesn't lie flush against the roof liner. It kinda sags a little. But it's not in the way nor worth spending the money on to repair.
Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

FWIW, my driver's side visor did the same thing. It started creaking. Then it started sagging an inch or so. Then something in the hinge snapped and now it's held up with a damned bungee cord.

Yet another item in a VERY long list of little broken or non-functioning things that make this THE most dissatisfying vehicle I've ever owned... and I'm a huge Subaru fan. I would never buy another Tribeca and wouldn't recommend one to a friend shopping for a vehicle.

The flat 6 collection:
  • '06 B9 Tribecca 7 passenger limited, black(hers) <-- possibly THE most disappointing car I've ever owned... and I once owned a new '84 Buick Skyhawk!
  • '96 SVX LSi (mine) Laguna Blue, '98 Forester transmission and rear diff w/ 4.44s (picture in link is a stock image, obviously)
  • '89 XT6 5 spd (mine) Pearl White
╔°══════°╗
FLT SIX
╚°══════°╝

austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 05:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

Well mine finally broke today. Does anyone know the part number to replace it or a site I can look it up?

Follow up... I found one at a salvage yard for $60. It took a little cleaning but looks like new.

When I opened up the broken one I found a small plastic piece that was busted, which caused the visor to stop working. I was really surprised at how flimsy it is. We'll definitely have to be careful with the new one.

Last edited by Brien; 05-16-2014 at 09:19 AM.
Old 05-31-2014, 01:33 AM   #9 (permalink)

Hi Brien , I have the 12 Tribeca, I bought the Japanese E-Shades anti glare glass and want to mount it in to the driver side sunvisor, since the Tribeca's sunvisor is too thick, it miss a few mm to fix the glass clamp in that, and I think I must take the sunvisor down to slide the glass clamp from one side ( outer end of sunvisor is with curve shape) , i tried but could not take out the sunvisor from the roof, I see you did it in the picture , could you please tell me how to do it..thank a lot
TribecaVN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:03 AM   #10 (permalink)

I still haven't fixed mine either, the list keeps growing.
1) fix both creeking visors
2) fix dead stereo
3) dash creeks like crazy going over any small road imperfections.
4) TPS flashes every once in a while, tire pressure is fine.
5) drives seatback squeaks.
6) back seat squeaks somewhere when empty.
....end of rant
Old 06-01-2014, 07:48 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TribecaVN View Post
Hi Brien , I have the 12 Tribeca, I bought the Japanese E-Shades anti glare glass and want to mount it in to the driver side sunvisor, since the Tribeca's sunvisor is too thick, it miss a few mm to fix the glass clamp in that, and I think I must take the sunvisor down to slide the glass clamp from one side ( outer end of sunvisor is with curve shape) , i tried but could not take out the sunvisor from the roof, I see you did it in the picture , could you please tell me how to do it..thank a lot
You have to pry off the small triangle cover over the sunvisor arm. I used a small screw driver and kind of worked my way around it until it popped off. Once off then it was two phillips screws to remove the bracket. Be mindful there are wires inside of the sunvisor arm that you have to disconnect in order to remove it completely.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:25 PM   #12 (permalink)

mine was covered by warranty. had dealer replace.
cogsbeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 09:01 AM   #13 (permalink)

After a few years my salvage yard replacement sun visor has broken again. Since the visors are the same there is no need to keep buying replacement sun visors for this car.

So I have come up with a way to keep it from sagging down. I bought these hair pins on Amazon https://amzn.to/2PIH1Jo and used them to pin up the visor. The shape of the pins is a U with one side going through the visor and the other through the headliner. It will make a small hole into both, but it isn't visible unless you're really looking for it.

I'd consider this a semi-permanent solution since you can no longer use the visor, but it keeps it from sagging if you don't want to use it.

Hope this helps those looking for a cheap fix.
Old 08-28-2018, 09:12 AM   #14 (permalink)

Thanks for the fix Brien. As I posted a few years ago I sold my 08 to my sister-in-law. She still has it and loves it. Her visors are as noisy as ever but haven't broken yet.

Me: 3 Tribecas (2008, 2011, 2014) 2017 3.6R Outback Touring Currently
Wife: 2016 Crosstrek

10th Subaru Family