Subaru B9 Tribeca SUV Forum banner

Oil usage

24K views 78 replies 16 participants last post by  Jefferson 
#1 ·
Hi I am new to the forum and am thinking about buying a 2008 Tribeca Limited with 36k miles on it. I have read on a couple other sites complaints about how much oil the 2008 engine uses and compression issues. Anyone have any issues or feedback on this? I fell in love with the Tribeca when driving a rental around Indiana a few years back. Found a great deal just not sure if it's too great of a deal and if a 2009 tribeca would be better to wait for. Thanks.

#53 ·
Rotella T-6 is a great product.....the STI guys I know who use it, love it, ones out of warranty are going 5000K mile changes with good Blackstone reports.....bang for the buck, I have seen it on sale at Wally World for $18.00 for 5qt jug....can't beat that price for a full synthetic....

#56 ·
STIGR is right.......it will take a couple oil changes for your engine to get accustomed to the German Castrol.......and it seems that you are better off now with 1/4 quart vs 1 quart that you were stating....also, I found that GC expands as it gets hot like transmission fluid, so always check your oil when the engine is hot; you really might not be low on oil....

#57 ·
When hot it shows lower between high and low lines.
I always check it in A.M. at same place in garage to keep it same environment.
cowboy said:
STIGR is right.......it will take a couple oil changes for your engine to get accustomed to the German Castrol.......and it seems that you are better off now with 1/4 quart vs 1 quart that you were stating....also, I found that GC expands as it gets hot like transmission fluid, so always check your oil when the engine is hot; you really might not be low on oil....

#60 · (Edited)
Nice read.
I have a 5.7 liter motor in my Toyota truck that runs on thin 5w20 mobil 1 with no NOTICEABLE burn off of oil. I ran the Tribeca for 3 months on the same commute and oil went from 5mm above top of TOP line which is 7 quarts to 3mm above top of low line in 3,500 miles on the TRIBECA. I RUN TRUCK EVERY 5,000 MILE OIL CHANGE INTERVALS. THESE 3.6 MOTORS seem to burn what seems to non SUBARU people excessive oil as noted on MOTOR TREND evaluation of 3.6 LEGACY. They added to maintain topping off motor almost 8 quarts in 40,000 miles of long term evaluation. If I take 5w 40 to SUBARU dealer for oil change they are liable to tell me they wont do oil change due to thick oil. Thus the reason I am trying the thicker 0W30 castrol synthetic. There has to be something they can do to beef up pistons.....to stop this much oil burn off.

Instead of SUBARU going thicker, they are recommending thinner oil of the 5w20 for M.P.G. reasons for their new motors. Not a good formula to reduce burn-off, quite the opposite I.M.O.

I don't mind running thick oil or adding oil but SUBARU has to come out and say these non turbo motors ARE known to burn!
We will see what happens on people going longer O.C. intervals of 5000 miles with 5w20 on 2011-12 SUBARU models, and you know not everyone checks oil every 3-4 oil change or ones a month even. Tribeca is still 5w30.

maxse03 said:
My 05 STi used about 1 quart every 1000 miles and so does my 08 Tribeca on 5w-30. After switching both to Royal Purple 10W-40, the problem pretty much went away. At least I don't have to add between oil changes.

Just some reading: http://allwheeldriveauto.com/why-does-my-subaru-use-oil/

#61 ·
Boxer engines are just tough on oil. look at Porsche, they have their own criteria on oil-Porsche A40 specification. The new CAFE requirements for emissions and improved fuel economy are forcing Subaru to go with oils that are "good enough" just as long as you keep checking your oil at every fill-up.

#62 · (Edited)
I tend to respectfully disagree with the "boxer engines are tough on oil" thing.

I have two other boxer 6 engines that basically don't burn any oil at all. Both are OLDER boxers, so maybe there's a difference, but if anything you'd think Subaru would have improved leak issues with each generation of engine... then again... :rolleyes:

My ER27, 2.7 liter six developed leaks over time, but it's a 23 year old car so that WILL happen eventually. With the leaks sealed it's perfectly fine, and even when it was leaking it didn't use too much oil (half liter/quart a month maybe).

My EG33, 3.3 liter six doesn't burn oil at all, but I've only had the car for a year. The car does have OTHER leaks (power steering, brake fluid :eek:, etc.,) most likely due to it's being in an accident before I owned it, but the oil is fine.

Now - I HAVE noticed my wife's '06 EZ30, 3.0 liter six does seem to burn oil. This has always troubled me. I'm very new to this forum so I'm just now learning that this is "normal" for Tribecas apparently. So I'll have to keep my eye on it.

Bottom line: from my own personal experience, I think ANY older engine could burn/use a lot of oil, but I don't think boxer engines are any more prone to it than any other configuration of cylinders. NEWER boxer engines, however, might be more prone for some reason.

"your results may vary,
sorry Tennessee"

EDIT: I have no idea how/why the hyperlink for "power st33ring" got in there - I'm new to this forum so maybe it's some feature I need to disable?

#64 ·
I see less burn with the 0w30 Castrol German Formula but it still does.
This is the first oil change with the German castrol.
I will try this one more time on next oil change WITH 0W30.

Wonder if the 5w30 full synthetic nongerman formula is the same IK99?

5w30 CASROL FULL SYNTHETIC IS LESS EXPENSIVE is why I am asking due to it being in 5 quart jugs.

#65 ·
Not sure if it German or not I’m getting it from Wal-Mart in 5 quart jugs for my 2 Triba's I taking 3 jugs (5 quart each).
5w-30 SS Castrol around 17$ for 5 quart jug in Wal-Mart last time 3.0 not burning ; 3.6 not burning at all. ( After was using Valvoline ss 5w-30 - burn only 3.6)
Where did you get yours "German" ?

#66 ·
I GOT IT AT AUTOZONE per quart at 9 dollars a quart, 63 bucks for oil only and that's steep for 7 quarts. IT says mae in GERMANY in the back!
I GET MY TRUCKS 5W20 MOBIL 1 AT WALMART and that TOYOTA DOES NOT BURN AT ALL. I heard that Tribeca Burns the mobil one at this forum.
Are you using the semi-synthetic or full on the CASTROL?
THE FULL IS LIKE 26 A 5 QUART JUG AT WMART WHICH is great.

IK99 said:
Not sure if it German or not I’m getting it from Wal-Mart in 5 quart jugs for my 2 Triba's I taking 3 jugs (5 quart each).
5w-30 SS Castrol around 17$ for 5 quart jug in Wal-Mart last time 3.0 not burning ; 3.6 not burning at all. ( After was using Valvoline ss 5w-30 - burn only 3.6)
Where did you get yours "German" ?

#68 ·
Not bad cause with full synthetic I am down about 1/2-3/4 a quart in 3,500 miles with the Castrol 0w30 and at 32,000 miles.
I read on the Legacy review review with the 3.6 for 40,000 miles they had to be topping it off and was a total of 8 quarts of TOPPING OFF.

I will go with 0w30 one more time and if not better will go with 5w30 syn from wall mart being less expensive.

IK99 said:
I'm using semi synthetic.

#69 ·
My oil burn experience

I've been monitoring this thread for a while. And figured I'd update all with my experience.

I have a 08 tribeca with 47k on it. Fortunately I am still in powertrain warranty.

It all started last summer when I got an oil chg at a quicky lube place. The girl told me my dipstick was bone dry. Like many others I was in disbelief. A modern car shouldn't burn oil. I wrote it off as a fluke. Early this year on a long roadtrip I checked the dipstick and noticed the same. I was bone dry. Time to get to the dealer and file a case before my warranty is up.

Fast forward to now- I've been to the dealer 3 times and they confirm that I have been burning 1.5qt per 1000m. They did a compression test and the number on all cylinders were low. Leak down test was good. SOA is currently reviewing the results and hopefully they are going to approve a new short block.

Now my concern is whether the repair they give me ultimately fixes this issue, or is there a underlying design issue with these 3.6 engines that has never been resolved. I'm curious if the newer MY 3.6 motors have less issues than the 1st year 08s.

My friend who also bought an 08 at the same effect time as me recently noticed the same issue. He was experiencing occasional power surges. When he brought it to the dealer they said he was low on oil- he's out of warranty though. And my salesperson at the dealership also told me he had a outback 3,6 customer who was seeing very similar issues. Which all makes me wonder.

Anyway we'll see what subaru says if they tear down my engine.

#70 · (Edited)
I did oil consumption 3 times and oil not 1.5 per 1000 so off I went.
I believe these motors burn or there is a defect in motor.

Check the 2010 Legacy with the 3.6 review on line and see these motors lose/burn oil. I think it was CAR AND DRIVER REVIEW.

In today's high engineered motors these engines should not burn with such low miles unless turbo is involved.

#71 ·
short block replaced

So after 3 oil consumption tests that confirmed my engine was burning 1.5qts, i got my short block replaced by Subaru. In fact I'll be picking it up today after a month in the shop.

A month ago I dropped off my car for its last oil consumption test. This time they performed a compression and leakdown test on the engine. The leakdown test was fine and passed with flying colors. On the otherhand, they claimed the compression results were low on all cylinders -in the 140 to 150 range.

2 weeks later Subaru approved the short block replacement. You need all your oil change receipts - so always save those. My dealer was great to work with the whole way, they keep me in the loop the during the entire process and never covered anything up.

They did have a few issues putting the engine back together which has delayed me for 2 weeks. Upon the first reassembly, they discovered a coolant leak that was caused by a bad weld on a pipe. Engine came out, part was ordered and it was replaced.

On the next checkout they noticed some "tapping" coming from the 6th cylinder, at first they thought it was a timing chain guide issue. It turned out to be in the cylinder head, oil wasn't getting to one of the lifters. Engine had to come out again and it was addressed.

Dealer called yesterday and said I should be all set. We'll see how it all goes. I guess I'll be breaking her in hard this time - to make sure I seal those rings as best as I can.

I'll pull the dipstick in 1,000 miles and see if I continue to burn at the same rate. Hopefully the consumption issue is all a distant memory. Other than this issue the car has been great. One of the most reliable cars I have ever had. My original block is going back to SoA for analysis. We'll never know what the underlying issue was.

BTW, if anyone else has to go through this process, make sure you work with a dealer that knows what they are doing. At first I worked with a dealership that was closer to me. I knew this would be a multi visit process and wanted to stay as local as possible. Turns out they had no idea of the engine replacement process and pushed me down the engine flush route (at my cost). They also seemed quite shady. My complementary check indicated that all the fluids needed replacement when they were just changed not long ago. I quickly told them to get my car off the lift and left.

#72 · (Edited)
Sorry to hear about all the trouble you had to go through. I believe there is an issue with this 3.6 motor and oil consumption. I would be down 1 quart in 2500 miles on conventional oil and oil consumption x3 times they would add a little. The so called standard of one quart in 1000 miles is ridiculous. You would never need an oil change in that case.
Don't be surprised if you still see oil consumption as I have a quart down in 5000 miles on last oil change using 0w30 Castrol full synthetic. If that is the case and not as bad as before just add oil if as bad as before think of dumping vehicle or talk buy back with dealer.
You don't want to go through this twice, after reading your story I would not go through this once.
Hope no issues for you, you've earned that for sure!!!!!!!

#73 ·
Got the car back, and it runs just as it did when new. The dealer did a great job to make sure that i didn't have any issues. They also changed out a bunch of tensioners and other pieces while they had the engine out, gratis, so I should be set for sometime.

they told me i got a brand new engine that is 2012, not a rebuilt one. And even though it is still a 3.6, certain items have been redesigned in the 4 years since it's been released.

We'll see how i do in the next 1,000 miles. On the way back, I gave the car a couple of full throttle pulls on a few on ramps to make sure the rings seal properly this time around.

If i still have issues with some minor consumption, I switch from dino oil to synthetic after 10k.

#75 ·
Oil Consumption

I've got an 08 Tribeca 3.6. Seems to be consuming oil. Not happy at all. Never had a car consume oil. If I had looked at this forum I wouldn't have purchased back in March. Already had to replace timing chain cover and front crank seal. This is my 3rd Subaru and possibly my last. I was considering being a loyal customer for some time to come but this has begun to sway me. My first Subaru was an 03 Outback 3.0 with little trouble. Next was an 09 Outback 2.5.....had to replace head gaskets and the normal 100k drive belt. It tends to stutter at stops. Been using Amsoil 5w30 Synthetic in the Tribeca but that's going to be too expensive considering I need to put oil in every 1000 miles. I'm considering going to the Castrol suggestion. Anything I need to look for? No leaks....the oil just disappears.:mad:

#76 ·
Go to dealer and do oil consumption to see if over SO CALLED NORMAL SPEC.

dans3rdsub said:
I've got an 08 Tribeca 3.6. Seems to be consuming oil. Not happy at all. Never had a car consume oil. If I had looked at this forum I wouldn't have purchased back in March. Already had to replace timing chain cover and front crank seal. This is my 3rd Subaru and possibly my last. I was considering being a loyal customer for some time to come but this has begun to sway me. My first Subaru was an 03 Outback 3.0 with little trouble. Next was an 09 Outback 2.5.....had to replace head gaskets and the normal 100k drive belt. It tends to stutter at stops. Been using Amsoil 5w30 Synthetic in the Tribeca but that's going to be too expensive considering I need to put oil in every 1000 miles. I'm considering going to the Castrol suggestion. Anything I need to look for? No leaks....the oil just disappears.:mad: