Tribeca 2009 sound and AC dead (OnStar) - SB9T.com
SB9T.com

Go Back   SB9T.com > Tribeca Technical > I.C.E./Security

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By monsterbash
  • 1 Post By Xtremeheli
  • 4 Post By monsterbash

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2018, 02:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Tribeca 2009 sound and AC dead (OnStar)

Hi all,

My 09 Tribeca arrived today from a "car wash" without working air conditioning nor sound.

When I turn the key on, I get the message (OnStar CALL) at the lcd display (see attachment 1).

Sound will not work at all, but vol knob still actuates (see attach. 2).
In summary, from the main console the only switches that work are the ones marked in green (attach. 3): volume knob and load and eject (from the cd charger). All the other switches (from the AC, seat heater, mirror heater, temperature controlers...) are not working. Also the AC digital displays are all dead. I already checked some fuses (such as 5, 7, 22 and 24) and they seem to be ok...

My Tribeca are in Brazil, so there's no OnStar here. I saw a 2014 post from an Australian folk with a similar problem, but no solution....

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks in advance !!!

Attachment 1878

Attachment 1880

Attachment 1882
ionutz05cti likes this.
monsterbash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2018, 08:50 AM   #2 (permalink)

Updating: panel and CD charger unit pulled out, opened and cleaned, since there were signs of water inside. After that, the “OnStar CALL” message doesn’t appear anymore and almost everything is working: sound, A/C, heaters and so on.

The only exceptions are:
- panel backlight not working. It should turns on at night, when the headlights are on... but it just won’t turn on...
- those 3 digital “clocks” on the panel that measures the AC temperature and fan mode are too weak.... during daylight it’s almost impossible to see them, except when the car is in a dark place....

Any clues ??? I searched the panned service manual for backlight without success...
Old 11-29-2018, 11:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Xtremeheli

Did you check if the dashlight dimmer "switch" at the left side of the steering wheel is in the right position?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2018, 04:09 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremeheli View Post
Did you check if the dashlight dimmer "switch" at the left side of the steering wheel is in the right position?
Yes, I checked that... It still actuates, but even in the "stronger" position those 3 "clocks" from AC temp are almost invisible....

Thanks anyway !
Old 11-30-2018, 04:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
Xtremeheli

Bummer..

Last time I had to de-install and re-install the middle console also and twice I noticed the backlight didn´t work although the plug in the back was plugged in well.
Still I took that plug out and plugged it back in again, jiggled the wires a bit, turned on ignition and it came on again. No idea why, but for me that worked.
ionutz05cti likes this.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:48 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremeheli View Post
Bummer..

Last time I had to de-install and re-install the middle console also and twice I noticed the backlight didn´t work although the plug in the back was plugged in well.
Still I took that plug out and plugged it back in again, jiggled the wires a bit, turned on ignition and it came on again. No idea why, but for me that worked.
I checked that connector, but that was not the case....

thanks anyway !!!
Old 12-05-2018, 10:27 AM   #7 (permalink)

Updates:

What we discovered so far:

1) the message CALL ONSTAR was manily caused by some kind of water short-circuit at the Audio Head Unit. After opening and cleaning it, the message was gone.

2) BUT, I still had the "too pale" VFDs (the 3 "clocks" that display the AC temperature) from the control panel... impossible to see them during daylight. Anyway, I used the car for 2 days with the "pale VFD" when a heavy smoke smell appeared.... Opened the control panel and the main cause was a burnt transistor (Q901) nearby the connector.... Service manual shows no specifications of that transistor, but a frind of mine told me it's a power transistor that controls the brightnes for the VFDs.....

See atached photos for more details.

To make a long story short, I replaced both the CONTROL PANEL and AUDIO HEAD UNIT (US$ 400 for both from a car junkyard) and everything seems to be fine now....
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg sub-1.jpeg (158.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpeg sub-2.jpeg (163.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpeg sub-3.jpeg (137.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpeg sub-4.jpeg (336.5 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by monsterbash; 12-06-2018 at 11:51 AM.