Strange display issue - SB9T.com
SB9T.com

Go Back   SB9T.com > Tribeca Technical > I.C.E./Security
Home Forums Register FAQ Community Calendar Advertise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2006, 09:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
Moderator Elite

Send a message via ICQ to Peaty Send a message via MSN to Peaty
Default Strange display issue

The other day it was dark out and I started the B9. My display that shows all the audio / MPG info was blank as I was driving down the road. No lights at all as if the car was off (I have no NAV system just the DVD) I was at a loss for what was going on. I could hear the radio and was able to switch modes but no display. I hit one of the buttons (info I think) and it popped back on. I'm pretty sure I hit it before but maybe not. I did try the dim wheel and what not while it was off but nothing. It seemed to fix itself which makes me nervous. Anyone have this happen ever?

Peaty

2013 OB Limited CVT
2010 Legacy 3.6R
2001 OB Wagon
2001 Forester S
Peaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2006, 07:50 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to jrseyshawn Send a message via Yahoo to jrseyshawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaty
The other day it was dark out and I started the B9. My display that shows all the audio / MPG info was blank as I was driving down the road. No lights at all as if the car was off (I have no NAV system just the DVD) I was at a loss for what was going on. I could hear the radio and was able to switch modes but no display. I hit one of the buttons (info I think) and it popped back on. I'm pretty sure I hit it before but maybe not. I did try the dim wheel and what not while it was off but nothing. It seemed to fix itself which makes me nervous. Anyone have this happen ever?
Pete,
That sounds weird... sounds more like a short in the system? the only thing I can remember about any similar issue was in my old 2001 Rav 4. the stereo lights would go off(sound was still on) when going over a heavy bump and the dealer ended up replacing the head unit.
jrseyshawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 01:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Peaty,
Did you ever find the cause? My 06 started doing the same about 2 months ago, radio is on and I can hear the station/CD and can even change channels, but no display. Then 3 or 4 minutes later without touching anything other than driving the car, the display comes back on. I can't figure it out.
fdv101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2014, 05:16 AM   #4 (permalink)

If the weather is really cold you fluorescent display back lights may fail to ignite first time and your display will display very dark or nothing .to avoid this cranck up the display brightness on the display dimmer or start the car with lights off so dimmer is not activated .this is something my car does every time i travel to a colder place.nothing to worry about .this is a normal behavior as the display lamps ages ....

Rotella T6 plus Liqui Moli Mos2
Idemitsu ATF, 75w90 Valvoline Synth power Gear oil
Peak Global Lifetime Coolant and SCC
91 octane all the time

2018 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W30
91 octane Fuel
redb9man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 04:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

Unfortunately, this has been happening throughout the summer for me, so it's definitely not cold weather in this case.
fdv101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 08:38 AM   #6 (permalink)

Do you have RSE (Rear Seat Entertainment)? On mine in order to watch the DVD on the front screen you must press the audio select button twice. I have found if the last time I drove the car the RSE was used I must press the audio button twice to restore my screen functions. By chance I would give this a try even if you do not have RSE. Maybe there is an electonic switch built into the display in the event the vehicle is optioned as RSE.

Me: 3 Tribecas (2008, 2011, 2014) 2017 3.6R Outback Touring Currently
Wife: 2016 Crosstrek

10th Subaru Family
subiedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 05:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

fdv101, did you ever get the screen working?
Bammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 04:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

The socket behind the display is the problem. Remove all the plastics and screws and you'll get to the display. Remove the socket, clean the pins, blow them with pressure air or something similar and put everything back. Mine had the same symptoms. Fixed.
ionutz05cti is offline   Reply With Quote