SB9T.com  

Go Back   SB9T.com > Tribeca Owners' Lounge > Warranty/TSB/Maintenance

Old 12-18-2007, 02:24 PM   #1
evlB9

Default Wiper Rants

Every post that I have seen regarding the wiper issue have said about the same things..... THEY STINK!! Although I have not seen anything posted from 2008 owners. Maybe I have missed it.
I talked about this before and here is the follow up......

I have now totaly relpaced the origional wipers and arm on my '06 becca. I now have wiper arms from an '08 becca and drivers side wiper from an '08 becca.

The bad news is, it didn't totaly work how I wanted. The passenger side wiper you can purchase at any store (walmart, target etc) The drivers side on the other hand is still a Subaru specific wiper blade. The arm and hook are both slightly wider than the passenger arm. (GO FIGURE)
So, back to Subaru. Hopefully this will wipe better than the '06 set up. In the storm over the weekend my wife could see just fine out the passenger side. I was looking thru ice. I had not recieved the drivers side wiper blade yet.

Here are some photos...... I hope all of this help, but i probably made it more confusing. It was around $180.00 total, approx.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wiper07.jpg (244.4 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg wiper08.jpg (240.7 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg Wiper03.jpg (222.8 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg Wiper04.jpg (180.4 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg Wiper05.jpg (170.6 KB, 71 views)
evlB9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 11:09 PM   #2
Magic Marker

Yes, the 06-07 blades suck. So you bought 08 pass/ driver arms and only the passenger arms accept aftermarket blades and the driver side are still Subaru blade specific? That's very odd. Thanks for posting. I'm sure someone else will chime in.

2011 3.6R Limited w/ Nav
Magic Marker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 06:48 AM   #3
njjuliano

My experience so far has me wanting to change the passenger side. I have not seen challenges yet on the driver side, with minimal to zero flurry from last winter.

I'm still looking for any definitive replacement for this.
njjuliano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 07:07 PM   #4
kmartin

I have the the '06 Tribeca and was having problems with the wipers smearing, especially coming back down to the rest position. After researching and realizing the replacements were expensive Subaru-only parts, I opted to pull out the rubber inserts and reverse the direction on each one. They smear a bit going up now, but make a clean swipe coming back down. I am certain it has a lot to do with the desert heat warping the rubber, but it really did help, even if temporary. I haven't had problems with the arms themselves, though.

-Karen in AZ-
kmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 08:56 PM   #5
Magic Marker

What makes the 06-07 arms not accept standard aftermarket blades?

2011 3.6R Limited w/ Nav
Old 12-20-2007, 10:53 AM   #6
Peaty
Moderator Elite

Send a message via ICQ to Peaty Send a message via MSN to Peaty

It may take blades but the holder itself is unique. Today I picked up some Trico refills and I'm going to give it a shot tonight when the wife gets home with the B9. I got some what they call break-to-fit Wiper blade Refills PNs 47-600 and 47-800. The way the blade is held in is not the same as the OEM but it may work.

http://www.tricoproducts.com/brochur...location_id=67

I'll do a scoobymods page if I get them to work. Cost was about 7 bucks for the two refills per package.

Peaty

2013 OB Limited CVT
2010 Legacy 3.6R
2001 OB Wagon
2001 Forester S
Peaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 11:15 AM   #7
Peaty
Moderator Elite

I just took the blades out and had a closer look and I'm encouraged. The large blade is the exact same size as OEM 25.5" so there will be no need to cut it. The smaller blade (passenger side ?) will need to be modified to fit but there is a notch at the size needed to make it the same as OEM (19.5"). All that remains to be verified is: Will the fingers hold the slot loose enought to allow the blade to flex properly and will the way they have the blade secured in the holder work VS the way the OEM blades are held in. More later I suppose.

Peaty

2013 OB Limited CVT
2010 Legacy 3.6R
2001 OB Wagon
2001 Forester S
Old 12-20-2007, 04:02 PM   #8
Peaty
Moderator Elite

OK I just did the swap and it was super easy. I will post a thread in the proper sectoin after I mess with the photos I took and get the page up. So for about 15 bucks I have two sets of wiper blades. Trico is a good brand to IMHO

Peaty

2013 OB Limited CVT
2010 Legacy 3.6R
2001 OB Wagon
2001 Forester S
Old 12-20-2007, 04:39 PM   #9
Magic Marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaty
OK I just did the swap and it was super easy. I will post a thread in the proper sectoin after I mess with the photos I took and get the page up. So for about 15 bucks I have two sets of wiper blades. Trico is a good brand to IMHO
Awesome. I knew you'd figure it out. Looking fwd to seeing the pictures.

2011 3.6R Limited w/ Nav
Old 12-20-2007, 04:43 PM   #10
njjuliano

That's great Peaty. Been skeptical with the blades since all the posts have been negative. Glad that we have other options outside of the stock.

Wonder why they made it more difficult for the aftermarkets? I've liked my Valeos, and tire rack has them buy1get1.
njjuliano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 04:52 PM   #11
Peaty
Moderator Elite

Almost done with the pics, have to stop for dinner. The way the arm holds the blade assembly is funky. Not like anything I've seen before. But these look like a very good option. I have a few more pics to edit then I'll start the write up. Should be done later tonight. I think these will be a good option in general for any of the scoobys which is good. It just depends on the width of the top of the rubber the 600 and 800 denote the width. 800 = 8mm and 600 = 6mm seems the drivers side is a little wider than the passengers, longer too.

Peaty

2013 OB Limited CVT
2010 Legacy 3.6R
2001 OB Wagon
2001 Forester S
Old 12-20-2007, 06:50 PM   #12
evlB9

Peaty,
Great job as usual..... Keep us posted on how they work in snow and rain. Your option is much cheaper than mine. I still have yet to be in any snow with my set up. I'll keep everyone posted as well.
evlB9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 07:08 AM   #13
Magic Marker

Bringing it up from the dead.

So the OEM blades still suck on our 07. They don't last long and began to smear/ skip. I had them replaced under warranty yesterday. I'll let you know how long these last. When the warranty is over, I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

Has anyone officially got 08 arms to work on 06-07 yet?

2011 3.6R Limited w/ Nav
Old 11-30-2008, 08:49 AM   #14
kmartin

Default Reversed the rubber refills and re-installed

Just a quick update...after nearly a year this trick seems to have worked very well. I just pulled the inserts and reversed them. No smearing, and they seemed to have re-formed to the windshield just fine. I have no need to replace these in the near future (knock on wood :-).

-Karen-

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmartin
I have the the '06 Tribeca and was having problems with the wipers smearing, especially coming back down to the rest position. After researching and realizing the replacements were expensive Subaru-only parts, I opted to pull out the rubber inserts and reverse the direction on each one. They smear a bit going up now, but make a clean swipe coming back down. I am certain it has a lot to do with the desert heat warping the rubber, but it really did help, even if temporary. I haven't had problems with the arms themselves, though.

-Karen in AZ-
kmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 04:22 PM   #15
Brien

We have an '08 and haven't had any problems with our blades. They're silent and with no streaks. Although, I wish the controls were a little simpler to use. I always have to look to figure out how to operate the rear one.
Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 05:45 AM   #16
snork

Brien...your lucky with your 08 as Subaru added a "standard" wiper arm assembly which you can easily replace the wiper part. The 06-07 have this non-standard arm wiper assembly. The friggin things cost ~$30 from Subaru to replace the whole assembly, and you can't even buy off the shelf inserts b/c the lengths are non-standard too!
Old 12-05-2008, 06:55 AM   #17
Peaty
Moderator Elite

Snork, did you look at my link that shows how to put in aftermarket blades?

http://www.sb9t.com/forums/showthread.php?t=440

It's really simple and inexpensive.

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8727

I replaced ours about a year ago (almost to the day) and they have been working fine ever since.

Peaty

2013 OB Limited CVT
2010 Legacy 3.6R
2001 OB Wagon
2001 Forester S
Old 01-15-2009, 01:11 PM   #18
MNSteve

Default Winter blades for the 2008 Tribeca

The only ones that can be applied are on the passenger side. The drivers side has the "wing" built right into the blade assembly. Plus the arm is just a bit wider so a winter blade assembly won't fit.

Additionally, the rear arm assembly is different so the winter blade assembly just won't work.

I don't know what Subaru was thinking when they designed the wiper arms. When driving in certain snowy conditions the blades get snow turning to ice and then the blades don't clear very well. Then you have to stop and clear the ice from the blade mechanism.

On my '98 OBW, winter blades work just great. But this winter it has sat in the garage during the snow storms.
MNSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:08 PM   #19
B9LTD83

does anyone have the part numbers and the relative cost for wiper arms? I thought about buying the arms from a Porche Cayenne... the dimensions appear to be the same...
B9LTD83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 07:42 AM   #20
MNSteve

Default Be very careful......

Quote:
Originally Posted by B9LTD83
does anyone have the part numbers and the relative cost for wiper arms? I thought about buying the arms from a Porche Cayenne... the dimensions appear to be the same...
Can't "eyeball" these wiper arms You should measure very carefully (voice of experience).
MNSteve is offline   Reply With Quote