SB9T.com  

Go Back   SB9T.com > Tribeca Technical > Suspension & Braking

Old 12-11-2007, 06:01 AM   #1
hawker800mech

Default Soft brake pedal

I've had my B9 for a year and has about 9000 miles on it (I only drive a few miles to work). The breke pedal feels soft (always has), and when at a stop light, I can press the pedal pretty much all the way to the floor with a little force. I came from a WRX with Stoptech brakes and my wife's Legacy brake pedal is like a rock. Before I take it in suspecting air in the lines I wanted to see if anyone else has this same issue. I do have a brake pressure bleeder and a full can of ATE Super Blue fluid sitting in the garage that I may have to use when it gets warmer.
hawker800mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 07:09 PM   #2
hawker800mech

Anyone?
Old 02-10-2008, 07:29 PM   #3
Magic Marker

Our B9 is fine on the brakes. I don't have to press that hard to get her to stop.

2011 3.6R Limited w/ Nav
Magic Marker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 08:46 PM   #4
crazycanuck

I do notice that the brakes on our B9 are softer than on our outback and pretty much any other car I have ever owned. I find it hard to modulate and always end up stopping the car too fast and abruptly. They still stop fine, I just find them more touchy.
crazycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 04:16 AM   #5
snork

I have the same opinion of the brakes. My Accord is slightly firm and pretty linear, my wife's legacy is firm, and the B9 feels like mush to me. I think it's just something you have to get used to. When I test drove it, I commented to the sales guy it was quite soft before we even got out of the lot and he said they all are, especially compared to other subarus. For me the most difficult part is the non-linearity. it's soft and mushy for the first 1" of travel, then they bite hard all of a sudden.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:22 AM   #6
crazycanuck

Its only when I have to stop suddenly when it becomes a problem and since I am not the primary driver its hard to get used to it.
crazycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 05:28 AM   #7
snork

Heh, same here...I'm not quite used to it neither yet. It's our weekend car for now until my Accord dies (hopefully not for a long while). Also my wife typically drives it cuz she gets car sick as a passenger, so I hardly even get to drive "my" new car
Old 02-11-2008, 06:54 AM   #8
hawker800mech

Thanks guys. Well at least it seems to be common between them. The B9 stops like a madman, but has no feel. It's like having a stress ball as a brake pedal. Maybe I should look into seeing if braided lines or Stoptechs will fit up front?
Old 02-17-2008, 10:43 AM   #9
mcharette

yes, the first gens have very mushy pedals... not sure about the 2nd gens though.... have yet to drive one
mcharette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 09:06 PM   #10
2GC8sNaB9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawker800mech
I've had my B9 for a year and has about 9000 miles on it (I only drive a few miles to work). The breke pedal feels soft (always has), and when at a stop light, I can press the pedal pretty much all the way to the floor with a little force. I came from a WRX with Stoptech brakes and my wife's Legacy brake pedal is like a rock. Before I take it in suspecting air in the lines I wanted to see if anyone else has this same issue. I do have a brake pressure bleeder and a full can of ATE Super Blue fluid sitting in the garage that I may have to use when it gets warmer.

EBD- Brake Assist system analyzes the velocity and force of stroke on the brake pedal and brings hydraulic boost up to provide improved emergency braking. So.. you wont feel too much feedback, but enough to to get a sense of how the vehicle is responding. Try slamming on the brakes.. you'll see the firmer side of the pedal All Tribeca's and 08+ Subaru's will support this feature.
2GC8sNaB9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 06:44 PM   #11
Magic Marker

Quote:
All Tribeca's and 08+ Subaru's will support this feature.
Yup, it's on our Tribeca and my new 08 Impreza. Hopefully I'll never have to use it.

2011 3.6R Limited w/ Nav
Magic Marker is offline   Reply With Quote