SB9T.com  

Go Back   SB9T.com > Tribeca Owners' Lounge > New Member Introductions

Old 06-02-2010, 04:28 AM   #1
snort

Default 2006 Tribeca Overheating - Head Gasket ?

My 2006 Tribeca has been running hot over the last 6 months. I've had the radiator hoses, radiator, radiator cap, and thermostat all replaced. The dealer was finally about to reproduce the problem and tentatively it is the head gasket. My question is should what type problems can I expect down the road after this repair. My vehicle has >100K miles.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 04:37 AM   #2
jimbo

I assume you've had all the radiator bits replaced because you (or someone) noticed that your coolant level was dropping. If that's the case, and you haven't seen any puddles of fluid under your vehicle, then yes, I'd think head gasket.

I wouldn't expect ANY problems down the road after this repair. It's a time-consuming job to do, but it's pretty straightforward. Remove accessory bits attached to head, remove head, remove old gasket, install new gasket, replace head, reconnect bits.

See how quickly I just spent a thousand of your dollars?
jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 05:07 AM   #3
snort

Default 2006 Tribeca Overheating - Head Gasket

Yes, the coolant just disappears (I assuming evaporation) and then the car starts to run hot. I've read about this happening in the older engines, but is this a common occurance with the tribeca's? I've read the other overheating threads and it would lead me to believe I'm not alone in this boat.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:14 AM   #4
jimbo

Nah, that's not evaporation (probably.) Most likely your head gasket has failed in its job to keep the coolant in the coolant channels and NOT in the cylinder. You're most likely burning the coolant you're losing.

The head gaskets (there are two, as our engines aren't inline six-cylinder) are indeed "wear items," albeit expensive ones. I've seen Subarus lose their gaskets at as few as 60,000 miles, and as many as 150,000.

Every Subaru owner that I've talked to that's kept their car through the 60,000 - 100,000 mile zone has replaced their head gaskets.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:48 AM   #5
snort

I'm been trying to decide if I should keep the car after this repair. I'm just a bit nervous about what other damage may have occured to the engine. Other then normal maintainence and this overheating issue, I haven't had any problems so far.. Any thoughts on that?
Old 06-02-2010, 05:55 AM   #6
jimbo

That motor is good for 300,000 miles if you keep up on preventive maintenance. I wouldn't worry about damage caused by the overheating unless you REALLY overheated for a LONG time repeatedly.

Yes, overheating to a significant enough degree will result in your internals expanding past tolerances and irreparably damaging the inner workings of your motor.

From what you've described, however, it sounds like you're a conscientious owner who's not afraid to troubleshoot a problem with your repair facility. That implies that you never let the problem get anywhere close to bad enough to worry. I'd keep it without hesitation.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, though.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:00 AM   #7
snort

Based on the temp monitor inside the cabin, I've never allowed it to go into the "red", but I've read that this monitor isn't always correct. This is the first Subaru I've owned and if you can't tell I'm a bit anxious.
Old 05-29-2011, 03:43 PM   #8
DBQClone

Default Still running hot

My 06 Tribeca has had a similar issue. I've had the thermostat, head gaskets, and the radiator replaced within the last 5000 miles, yet it continues to seemingly run hot. (between 3/4 and the redline in town, around 3/4 on the highway) Any suggestions as to where I can point my mechanic to look next?? He's stumped and so am I.
DBQClone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 03:49 PM   #9
jimbo

Are you sure the gauge is functioning correctly? That, or you may have something obstructing coolant flow either in the hoses or block.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:10 AM   #10
Jhony505

Does it get overheat when the A/C is on? I think your coolant is leaking due to some error. That will surely blow your head gasket.
Jhony505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:11 AM   #11
DBQClone

We've done some additional analysis and have discovered it stays withing normal range on the highway. The issue only occurs during city driving. My mechanic assures me they've checked the fan and it is cycling properly, but I'm questioning that since on the highway, there is obviously plenty of airflow.
DBQClone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 03:31 PM   #12
Flgirl

Can anyone give me an update on this? I'm experiencing the same problem. Problem is, the dealer say my 130K car needs a new engine and says a new gasket is a waste of time. I need answers ASAP because I want to save my car and I do not want a new car. My husband, and dealer says it's time for this one to go...but I don't think so. But I'm experiencing the SAME problems as you are with the temp light going up. I just can't imagine needing a new engine.

The dealer said that there was sludge seen in the last oil change and the oil was dangerously low. How much would a gasket cost? Should I risk getting this and possibly it may be the engine later?
Flgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:07 PM   #13
MiddleAgeSubie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flgirl View Post
Can anyone give me an update on this? I'm experiencing the same problem. Problem is, the dealer say my 130K car needs a new engine and says a new gasket is a waste of time. I need answers ASAP because I want to save my car and I do not want a new car. My husband, and dealer says it's time for this one to go...but I don't think so. But I'm experiencing the SAME problems as you are with the temp light going up. I just can't imagine needing a new engine.

The dealer said that there was sludge seen in the last oil change and the oil was dangerously low. How much would a gasket cost? Should I risk getting this and possibly it may be the engine later?

Tell your dealer to....There must be another one around. I would not be shocked if the dealer "measures" his clients first, thinking "I can get this one to pay for new" in your case.

The idea that any Subaru engine that has not been mistreated might need replacement at 130,000 is ridiculous. The idea that an H6 might need replacement is outrageous.

First of all, head gaskets are a very rare problem for a Subaru H6. What the poster above says about all Subarus needing head gaskets is total nonsense.

Second, what happens to H6 engines--and rarely--is something else: valve covers or whatever, something like that. That is a 500$ job, as far as I know as opposed to 2-3,000 for head gaskets.

Most importantly, you should sign up to subaruoutback.org and ask your question, with as much detail as possible, on that site because there are a few extremely knowledgeable people who post daily and who should be able to help.

Again, unless you have skipped oil changes for a long time, noticed oil leaking yet failed to act, driven for a long time with an overheating engine, and the like, you should not need more than a minor job. I am no mechanic but I have read these forums enough to suspect that you are not being treated properly by your service department.

I have followed a bit of automotive literature over the last decade and for myself I have come to the conclusion that Subaru's H6 is as good an engine as any.

Last edited by MiddleAgeSubie; 03-25-2014 at 06:10 PM.
MiddleAgeSubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:11 PM   #14
MiddleAgeSubie

Oh, and even IF, and it is an ENORMOUS IF, you really do need HG, the car should still be perfectly fine, once the repair is properly carried out.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:18 PM   #15
Flgirl

Hi there, Thanks so much...I did not drive around too long w/o an oil change and no oil was leaking...no way. Last month I just spent $1,300 on a new evaporator for the car as well! so they would have noticed oil leaking.
Flgirl is offline   Reply With Quote