Subaru B9 Tribeca SUV Forum banner

Trailer towing and loss of Warranty

3K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  thompsonrc 
#1 ·
Has anyone read their Subaru Owners manual P 8-20: “SUBARU warranties do not apply to vehicle damage or malfunction caused by trailer towing. “ And yet the very next pages list trailer and towing capacities.
So why would Subaru VOID ALL warranties if trailer towing is OK?
I can find no one who will explain this discrepancy.

I surmise a weak frame, transmission, bearings,.... or just a lack of confidence in their design. The vehicle seems very well powered with the 3.6L to pull just about anything. This surprises me.
If I find out, I will post as I hope anyone else who knows.

#2 ·
I surmise a weak frame, transmission, bearings,.... or just a lack of confidence in their design.
Or Lawyers. Probably Lawyers.

People have a tendancy to not follow guidelines when it comes to using their vehicles, so Subaru has given themselves an out when some idiot decides to tow their 5,000lb trailer across the country and then the transmission overheats and fails.

I would think the same thing would apply to off-roading related suspension issues even though Subarus have a very good AWD system and well-built suspension components.

#4 ·
Well, look at it this way:

- Subaru cannot prove you were towing unless you show up to the dealership towing something. Having a tow hitch is not proof of towing - you can use them for bike racks, cargo baskets, etc.

- To deny a warranty claim, Subaru/the dealership has to prove that towing was the reason for failure, same as any warranty denial based on modification of vehicle.

#6 ·
This. Does SOA - or, for that matter, any dealer reliant upon their reputation - want to get into a "he said/she said" just to deny what otherwise may be a legitimate claim? Remember that this is the age of social media and internet reviews, and believe me, a lot of auto manufacturers (and dealerships) are very much aware that they might be one viral video away from a PR problem.

That said, if they see a chewed up transmission that is clearly the product of a vehicle that has gone well beyond towing capacities, they will probably deny, at least initially (as well they should). But anything that seems borderline, it's going to depend on how good your relationship is with the dealer and/or how reputable they are.

#7 ·
Psygnal11 makes a good point that I hope a dealer will evaluate if "vehicle has gone well beyond towing capacities.." But what irks me is for Subaru to put in the owner's manual that warranties do not apply...by towing" even BEFORE any towing has occurred. And yet just a few pages later, list the towing capacities. So it seems Subaru does NOT recommend ANY towing with this vehicle.
Anyone out there had any real life problems while towing? My concern is, as I posted in another thread, my Tribeca has a howl in the transmission in 1st and 2nd gear at less than 2,000 RPM. Two service managers say that it is normal.

#8 ·
It's been 13 years since I bought a car that didn't have the Pleiades emblazoned on it, but I would think that Subaru is not alone in having "warranty disclaimer/waiver" language within a page or two of listed towing capacities in the owner's manual. I'd be curious as to what the Enclave/Traverse, CX-9, and MDX manuals say about towing and warranties.

#9 ·
Hold on a sec.... does the part about warranty not applying with regards to towing you're referencing refer to towing by the Tribeca or towing of the Tribeca?

You cannot tow a 5EAT Subaru with any wheels on touching the ground. You will tear up your center diff. Warranty will not apply.

#10 ·
Hold on a sec.... does the part about warranty not applying with regards to towing you're referencing refer to towing by the Tribeca or towing of the Tribeca?
Ooh, good question. They are very specific about towing procedures of the vehicle. I don't think the 5EAT even has a FWD fuse.

#11 ·
Good point but I repeat here directly from the manual, “SUBARU warranties do not apply to vehicle damage or malfunction caused by trailer towing..". So I think it is safe to assume Subaru means 'towing of a trailer' and NOT towing 'of the Tribeca'. Does any one else's manual have any slightly different words.
Good thought though. Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.