Subaru B9 Tribeca SUV Forum banner

Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus Review

15K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  snork 
#1 ·
We decided to dump the horrible Goodyears a few months ago for Cooper Discoverer HT plus tires. No comparison to the Goodyears...I would rate the Goodyears a 3 overall and the Coopers a 9 out of 10. Snow traction is amazing with the Coopers. Tire noise is slightly higher but ride quality and handling seem better. In addition they look great on the rim/much more aggressive.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
How much did they run you? I have a Cooper tire place right in my town and I was thinking of these when the time comes as well.

I put a set Cooper Zeon Sport A/S tires on my wife's Legacy as well to replace the stock Yokohamas. Basically have the same feelings as you do even though they're different tires obviously...better ride/handling, but slightly noisier.

#6 ·
These tires in this size are brand new and many Cooper dealers still don't have them. My shop is a Cooper dealer and last fall I could not buy Coopers for my wife's 06. They discontinued the H/T due to the soon to be introduced H/T plus. They made changes to make it a more SUV friendly tire as the original H/Ts tend to be too harsh for a SUV like ours. If I could have gotten these I would have but ended up with Avon Tech ST's from Tire Rack. Avon is a wholly owned susidiary of Cooper and we've been very happy with the choice.

BTW, even at my cost on the Coopers, I could buy almost 2 sets of Avons.

#7 ·
We paid $665 installed. Plus there was a $50 rebate form I snagged off the Cooper website. If you could get the Avons for that much cheaper way to go that is a hot deal. I am pleased with purchase other than the fact that the install joint did a crappy job balancing them and it had to go back to get rebalanced. Now they are great.

#9 ·
I went with a set of the Nitto 420's in stock size. Love the tire, great handling, good comfort and great in the rain. Didn't try them in the snow as I run dedicated winter tires on all of our cars.

Got mine from discounttiredirect.com for $130 each. Reviews all indicated amazing tread wear, getting 40k on a set.

#10 ·
legandrex said:
We paid $665 installed. Plus there was a $50 rebate form I snagged off the Cooper website. If you could get the Avons for that much cheaper way to go that is a hot deal. I am pleased with purchase other than the fact that the install joint did a crappy job balancing them and it had to go back to get rebalanced. Now they are great.
Actually, the price I was going from was the discontinued H/Ts which were nearly $200 per tire my cost. The Avons cost me about $500 for the set.

#11 ·
It's interesting reading peoples reviews of other tires....basically it proves how bad the OEM Eagle LS tires are. Subaru has a knack for putting crappy tires on their cars. RE92's on my wrx's/legacy gt's and goodyears on the Tribeca. My current 08 2.5 special edition legacy has Yokohama Advan tires and they are decent other than their 180 treadrating. Good thing it is leased for only 20,000 miles otherwise they would need to be replaced soon.:lol:

#12 ·
Yeah, the Yokoham Advans on our 06 Legacy only lasted 28k...which is probably pretty decent considering the 180 treadrating:rolleyes:

The Cooper tires I got to replace them have a 400 treadrating, so I'm hoping they'll go for atleast 40k. I guess I've been spoiled by the Goodyear Assurance Tripletreads on my Accord with their 860 (I believe) treadrating. I went 95k on the first set...had another 10k in them probably, but I got a flat so I just replaced them. Ah...just looked it up and they make them in the Legacy size now:tup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.