Subaru B9 Tribeca SUV Forum banner

cracked/torn cv boot

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  STIGR-Wagon-Dad 
#1 ·
Based on looking around other subaru forums, I guess that every H6 will end up having cracked inner front cv boots around 70k miles. The heatshielding on the collector y-pipe/cats isn't enough. I got the repair done not too long ago, but this time i'm adding more heatshield and exhaust wrap to extend the life of the boots. This mod might even make some more power along the way. More updates to follow.

#2 ·
I managed to get 120k out of my passenger side half-shaft before the inner boot decided to spew a nice puddle of axle grease on my driveway. There is a sizable hole and I did not consider heat from the exhaust to be the culprit. I too will take extra precaution with heat wrapping as my older Outback also wore out on the right side inner before the left. Any other car I have owned where the half-shaft failed, it was on the outer joint (a Honda Civic many, many years ago). To note, every oil change and tire rotation I performed included a comprehensive inspection of all boots. At least this failure was in my driveway and not on a highway!

#3 ·
I finally heat wrapped the collector pipes after the exhaust manifold about a week ago. Noticeable gains in power and a slight increase in gas mileage. Average range prior would be 250 mile. We managed to squeeze out 280 miles on the last tank. I'll give it a few more runs and report back on any further improvement in MPG.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.