Subaru B9 Tribeca SUV Forum banner

Bad leak!!!

4K views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  abush1984 
#1 ·
Okay so I have a massive leak it looks to be coming from right above the rack and pinion where it looks like the front diff and the tranny meet anybody have this issue or no what it might be its a 2006 b9 TriBeCa

#2 ·
When? Worse when you turn the steering wheel What fluid is low? What color is the fluid (note both power steering and transmission use the same red transmission fluid).

Could be your ATF coolant as it pumps out from the ATF to the front radiator, could be the rack itself, or ??

#6 ·
You need to clean it all up (self car wash works well) and then take some pictures of where it is coming from.

Could be the seal to the dipstick tube (also called Oil Charge Pipe)? That's just an oring. There are also two breather hoses up on top, although I'm not sure what they do.

Any work done on the car recently?

#10 ·
Lots of lines, seals, junctions, etc. in that area from two different vehicle systems that both use ATF fluid. For future reference, check your levels in the AT and power steering reservoir... if one is drastically low, at least you can narrow it down to which system it is.

Out of curiosity, why couldn't it be driven to a car wash? Was it simply a judgment call based on the amount that was leaking or was there a physical issue (failure, noise, CEL, etc.) that kept you from driving it?

#14 ·
Sorry for the late reply I took it to the dealer and it ended up that the torque converter bearing seized and damaged the front seal but in turn dumped a bunch of metal in the transmission so new transmission it was $2400 later thanks for all the input guys

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.