SB9T.com  

Go Back   SB9T.com > Tribeca Technical > Drivetrain

Old 08-14-2011, 09:51 PM   #1
Hum

Default Transmission Leak

Tribeca is 5 years old now, noticed some stains on the driveway last week.
Got underneath and had a look, looks like I need a new auto transmission pan gasket. Been quoted around $240, not bad I'm sure it could have been worse.

Just thought I'd post in case anyone else with 5 year old Tribeca's have a similar problem, you now know what it could be.
Hum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:49 PM   #2
tribeca09

2009 Tribeca with 18k miles -- transmission fluid leak at one of the two short hoses between the transmission filter and the supply and return hard lines. Can't tell which hose is leaking because everything is wet now, and will ask the dealer to "deal" with it (thank goodness I've got a little time left under warranty).

Haven't seen anyone else report this issue, so maybe it's a fluke.
tribeca09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:16 PM   #3
t5rrr

The transmission pan "gasket" is actually a gasket maker type sealant. Cost from dealer is about $30 for a tube but Permatex makes a similar ATF resistant sealant for tranny pans for about $8

http://www.permatex.com/products/Aut...TV_Sealant.htm
t5rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:28 PM   #4
Moms b9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribeca09 View Post
2009 Tribeca with 18k miles -- transmission fluid leak at one of the two short hoses between the transmission filter and the supply and return hard lines. Can't tell which hose is leaking because everything is wet now, and will ask the dealer to "deal" with it (thank goodness I've got a little time left under warranty).

Haven't seen anyone else report this issue, so maybe it's a fluke.
Hi there, I am curious to know what the result was in your case as I am having the same issue on my mothers 07 tribeca, and as it is out of warranty I wanted to have a look for her before taking it to the dealer? The fluid has also sprayed everywhere in the of corner so it is difficult to find the source. Please advise if you have found the cause.
Moms b9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:18 AM   #5
tribeca09

Yeah, it can be impossible to find the source of a leak without cleaning everything off, especially when the source is under some pressure.

I've had two of these transmission fluid leaks. The first was in a Jeep that leaked where a hose attached to the transmission cooler. I just needed to replace a spring clamp. I'd check your clamps first if I were you, because the cooler lines/clamps on the Tribeca are in that driver side area where you see the leak. You may be able to see the two clamps that attach to the trans cooler by looking through the front air dam. I think the other two clamps are further up inside, so you might not be able to see them too well without pulling back the plastic inner wheel well or removing the plastic tray under the engine.

The second was the Tribeca. That turned out to be a little more tricky. First the shop tried tightening a couple of fittings and told me to bring it back if it didn't do the trick. They didn't clean out all of the mess so I did that to make sure I could tell if the leak was fixed. Sure enough, it continued to leak so I took it back and they replaced one or both of the hoses/fittings. My car is under snow now, but if you pop the hood and look on the right side of the engine, I think behind the oil fill, you will see a couple of trans hoses with fittings that screw into a couple of other trans lines, or maybe into a block. The two lines are right next to each other. That is where mine was leaking and dripping down toward the inside of the front tire, in about the same area where the trans cooler would drip if it was leaking. Sorry I don't have photos...
tribeca09 is offline   Reply With Quote