Subaru B9 Tribeca SUV Forum banner

Finally! V 4.0 of the Subaru Nav Disk is out!

25K views 35 replies 16 participants last post by  harbl 
#1 ·
Maybe it will finally remove the listings for bank ATM's that have gone out of business 6 years ago!

http://store.kenwoodusa.com/catalog.php?id=186

I just ordered it. Lets see how good it is. I will report back when I get it and put it into the car.

#6 ·
Reedl, KMartin,

Please let me know your impressions when you get it loaded up. I'd be interested in the interface and look and feel to see if there are any changes. I don't use POIs so much and would like to know what a $240 investment gets.

Thanks for posting. I've been checking the Kenwood site for the update. Nice to know it is out!

#8 ·
When it arrives (I have not even seen any notification about the ship date), I will post a quick review as to how it is.

I just hope they have not removed the microphone support that the current version has. I use that a lot when driving. Being able to tap a button and say "ice cream" for example and it displays all the ice cream places it really a great feature that it has right now.

I am very sure that it will still have the lack of being able to search POI's and enter destinations when travelling. That is a safety feature that will never be removed.

Here in Mass, the POI data is way out of date on the current version (3.0), but since we have lots of new roads, and many changes in Boston the current version is pretty much useless when travelling around Boston in terms of road also.

What makes it really crazy is that since the Nav that is built in has a Gyro and a speed sensor, even when in the tunnels it can keep track of where it is. No standalone GPS system can do that!

My shipping was less, but I am in Mass. They are definately marking up the shipping from UPS amounts. That is a low trick.

But as to price, check out the price on the Kenwood Nav data disc for the Kenwood native devices: http://store.kenwoodusa.com/catalog.php?id=496 $450!

Reed

#9 ·
I got the DVD's, and put the east cost version into my Tribeca. My advice to others is "Don't bother paying for this useless upgrade".

The interface has not changed at all. It works exactly like the previous 3.0 version.

It still lists ATM's for banks that have been acquired 10 years ago. The previous version (3.0) had a restaurant I go to all the time. This version does not even have this restaurant.

Looking at the back of the DVD case, the copyrights are as follows:

C 2008 DENSO Corporation, C 2007 Tele Atlas North America, Data by InfoUSA C 2007

So the data is either two or three years old. In terms of businesses, that is an eternity.

This was an absolute waste of money! I called Kenwood, and they would not help me. I am calling Subaru Monday and complaining about the absolute garbage that this product is. A $129 Garmin blows this out of the water in terms of data being up to date, and capabilities.

I do not expect much from Subaru, but I will make it known to Subaru that their data supplier is not providing a good product, and that it makes the built in Nav system in the Tribeca a very poor product.

Reedl

#10 ·
Reedl,

Sorry about your experience with the update. Thank you for providing the insight for those of us who were considering the upgrade.

I hope Subaru provides some sort of resolution for you. I read on one of the Legacy boards that Subaru offered to pay for 50% of the cost of the upgrade. Perhaps they can help you in the same way.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132359

Good luck!

#12 ·
I'm disappointed but not surprised to hear the interface is still the same. In my opinion, it is the worst navigation system I have ever seen. It's such a shame too, because the car is awesome and would be prefect with a Garmin/Tom Tom type of navigation system.

#14 ·
>> A $129 Garmin blows this out of the water in terms of data being up to date, and capabilities..

Um, why didn't you just buy the Garmin (or TomTom or ?)? The next navi upgrade for my Tribeca will be a real, modern navi unit rather than a DVD upgrade. Thanks for nothing Subaru/Kenwood.

#16 ·
sweetpete said:
Um, why didn't you just buy the Garmin (or TomTom or ?)? The next navi upgrade for my Tribeca will be a real, modern navi unit rather than a DVD upgrade. Thanks for nothing Subaru/Kenwood.
The built in system has its advantages. Most notably the fact that I do not need to keep removing it from the dash and reinstalling it every time I get out of the car. Around here, GPS's are removed from cars all the time by the applying of a large amount of force to the window, and then reaching in to grab the GPS from the dash. In fact my wife's Garmin was removed from her Subaru Outback 4 years ago, and it was on the floor in front of the passenger seat, pretty much out of view. We had to get the window replaced, etc. Big pain in the neck.

The built in also has the following advantages:
- Much bigger screen
- Works when in tunnels, etc.
- Audio comes through stereo speakers
- In general the map road data is quite good.

It is just the POI data that sucks. In fact I find that it is better at rounting than my new Garmins, because it allows viewing of multiple routes on the screen, and choosing either the fastest, shortest, or preferred route. OTOH the Garmin only gives a single route, and you cannot preview it before going on the route.

So each one has a tradeoff.

Reedl

#17 ·
#18 ·
Unfortunately the graphics rendering is more firmware related. The discs are just POI and map data:(

I too have the navi, and we rarely use it b/c it's such a PITA to use:(

#20 ·
I feel cheated!. My dealer just gave me a complementary upgrade to V3.0 (open, with fingerprints on the discs) as compensation for leaving tools under the hood, breaking fasteners and otherwise failing to deliver value on my $1100 service.

But back on topic: I'll install it tomorrow. Notorious misses are placing the Timberline Lodge, close to summit of Mount Hood, OR (made famous in the 'Shining') in downtown Portland, OR.
And now...freeways close to Miami International airport are, literally, off the map.

Have to say, love the car, hate the dealer! I'll never buy a new Subaru again!

reedl said:
Maybe it will finally remove the listings for bank ATM's that have gone out of business 6 years ago!

http://store.kenwoodusa.com/catalog.php?id=186

I just ordered it. Lets see how good it is. I will report back when I get it and put it into the car.

#21 ·
Finally got the update. None of the graphics seem new and it reset all my settings to default, but I see a lot of the local roads have been updated, which is nice. Interesting to see that version 5.0 is out so fast.

I really don't think we should be charged for these updates. Just seems wrong to me. Especially after I got screwed by the dealer on my windshield repair. Not covered under warranty my ass! But that is a different story.

I used to think that the navigation system was a POS, but it has grown on me. Not as user friendly as a Garmin, but it does the job and has pleasantly surprised me at times. And the backup camera is a godsend. Should be on all vehicles actually.

#22 ·
I cannot believe that Kenwood came out with a V 5.0 disk so soon after the V 4 disk. Perhaps there was some sort of issue with the 4.x disk that they are not willing to reveal.

I think that it is fine to charge something for the update personally. You are getting new data, etc.

But to charge $238 plus expensive shipping is too much. It should be in line with that Garmin charges for their updates which is around $60 or so.

I will probably not get the 5.x update now.

Reed

#25 ·
awd_envy said:
If someone gets the V5 update, please let us know whats changed or if there's FINALLY going to be a firmware update.

Fingers Crossed....
I just received V5 discs for my '09 Tribeca. Never received original DVD sleeve and EAST disc when I purchased car year ago (V3), just the WEST in the player. After constant whining, my dealer finally gave me a new set of discs.

To be honest, I rarely used the DVD NAV and as emabarrassing to admit, I've been using my TOMTOM 540XL (comes with lifetime maps).

What am I looking for regarding firmware??? To be honest, the NAV looks the same from V3 to V5 except my street is now included in the maps, so maps have been updated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.