Subaru B9 Tribeca SUV Forum banner

60K maintenance

10K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  LORE BECA 
#1 ·
We are quickly approaching 60K and I am wondering what the general consensus is with the recommended service. We have been original owners and I change the oil and filter every 5k or so with synthetic oil and oem filter. I recently changed the air filter. Tires were replaced about a year ago and at that time shop claimed we had another 15-25k left on the brakes. I don't really want to drop several hundred bucks if not necessary. Without looking at what the manual suggests are there any services you guys suggest as "must do" at 60K?

Thanks in advance

#2 ·
Depends on what you define as "must do."

If "must do" means "it's currently broken and car will not drive without repair," then the list is pretty short.

If "must do" means "it may not be broken right now, but I understand that it's cheaper to fix BEFORE a critical fail than it is after," then the list can get longer.

IIRC, the plugs are replaced somewhere around 60k. Also tranny fluid change (I'm not a fan of the flush maneuver, but to each their own.) Your call whether or not to do coolant as well.

How many miles have you put on in the last year? Use that to determine whether or not to do the brakes...and you may want to get them to explain what parts they're planning to replace as part of that brake job. Pads? Pads & rotors? DON'T let 'em turn your rotors...turning reduces the amount of metal in the rotor, and less metal = reduced cooling. Reduced cooling = warpage.

/diatribe

#3 ·
I'm at 65K and will be taking mine in next month for the 60K service. At our dealer, the 60k includes new spark plugs, serpentine belt, air filter, cabin filter, oil & filter change, tire rotation, new wiper blades, trans drain & refill, coolant flush and a list of other checks and inspections. It's a lot of money but since I plan on keeping the car I feel it's worth the investment.

#4 ·
i'm no expert but the serpentine belt replacement is overkill, unless it's REALLY wearing down.. other than that just do what the manual says:

spark plugs
brake fluid
coolant
inspect diff fluids and tranny fluid (might as well change all of this stuff and drag it to 120k)
oil & filter
air filter
rotate and balance tires

i know that's a lot of stuff, but for the next 30k you don't do anything other than tire rotation and balances and oil changes.

#5 ·
Just got the Tribeca back tonight from the dealer. They did the 60k service and a front brake job (85%worn). The car really drives great, it seems much smoother at idle and shifting seems a lot better as well. I'm glad we go it done. Here's what they did for the 60k service:
*Oil and Filter*Tire Rotation*Transmission drain and refill with new filter*New Serpentine Belt*Drain and refill front and rear diffs*New Air Filter*Cleaned Battery terminals and serviced battery*replaced coolant*performed throttle body service*replaced front wipers*replaced brake fluid*replaced spark plugs*replaced pcv valve*misc other checks and topping off of fluids in there as well. $700.00
In addition, the front brakes were getting thin so I had them do a front brake job.
I'm very happy with the service, the dealer did a fantastic job on the car.

#6 ·
Local charges 599 for the 60,000. On the 09 TRIBECA it says coolant good to 130,000 miles. I don't know if I believe that or may change at 60,000 miles. Any ideas?

What did they charge you and what was included in front break job, resurface or replace rotors?

Sounds like allot of money but if you break it up as individual services it would be more expensive I think. Peace of mind for another 60,000 miles. Good for you!

relsoc said:
Just got the Tribeca back tonight from the dealer. They did the 60k service and a front brake job (85%worn). The car really drives great, it seems much smoother at idle and shifting seems a lot better as well. I'm glad we go it done. Here's what they did for the 60k service:
*Oil and Filter*Tire Rotation*Transmission drain and refill with new filter*New Serpentine Belt*Drain and refill front and rear diffs*New Air Filter*Cleaned Battery terminals and serviced battery*replaced coolant*performed throttle body service*replaced front wipers*replaced brake fluid*replaced spark plugs*replaced pcv valve*misc other checks and topping off of fluids in there as well. $700.00
In addition, the front brakes were getting thin so I had them do a front brake job.
I'm very happy with the service, the dealer did a fantastic job on the car.

#7 ·
They resurfaced the front rotors and installed new brake pads, $275.

Not sure on the coolant but the dealer said you dont want the coolant in there for more than 60k cause it will start to deteriorate the gaskets on the engine. could be total b.s. but better safe than sorry. i want this car to last a long time.

#8 ·
Coolant on 08 and up has the super long life 130,000 miles which I don't know what to believe on that one.

relsoc said:
They resurfaced the front rotors and installed new brake pads, $275.

Not sure on the coolant but the dealer said you dont want the coolant in there for more than 60k cause it will start to deteriorate the gaskets on the engine. could be total b.s. but better safe than sorry. i want this car to last a long time.

#10 ·
Just had incident with my dealer regarding this 60k service. Asked what was included, he went down the list; although my service didn't include replacement of serpentine belt, it did include "Replace : Spark Plugs". I said if you have a loaner...ok. Price is $449. Get a call later saying..There's an "extra charge" for the 6 cyl./ platinum plugs the B9 has and needs. The charge turns out to be $180 roughly 40% more! Was told that $449 price was for 4 cyl engines only. I asked take the value of a 4 cyl plug change off the bill and I'd get the plugs done myself....needless to say it doesn't work that way. Just a word to the wise...always get the maintenance pamphlet from the dealer before you commit.

#11 ·
Rickep said:
Just had incident with my dealer regarding this 60k service. Asked what was included, he went down the list; although my service didn't include replacement of serpentine belt, it did include "Replace : Spark Plugs". I said if you have a loaner...ok. Price is $449. Get a call later saying..There's an "extra charge" for the 6 cyl./ platinum plugs the B9 has and needs. The charge turns out to be $180 roughly 40% more! Was told that $449 price was for 4 cyl engines only. I asked take the value of a 4 cyl plug change off the bill and I'd get the plugs done myself....needless to say it doesn't work that way. Just a word to the wise...always get the maintenance pamphlet from the dealer before you commit.
the plugs on the tribeca are iridium not platinum; that could be a reason why the price was significantly higher

#13 ·
60k service

Hey Lore Beca, I haden't thought of that, I just assumed that any procedure would be cheaper as part of a larger bundle. I will have to call around and see if there is any difference in pricing. Also I will be going out of town next month and will check the dealers prices out of the NYC area...anything has to be cheaper than here!
Thx fer the heads up...I'll post what I found out.

#16 ·
Rickep said:
We had the 60K done at the dealer and it was $500 + tax. Although to be honest, I have no idea what they really did. We have a good relationship with the dealer and service dept, so I'm sure we got whatever was supposed to be done.

#17 ·
Wow, you guys paid a lot of money for a 60K mile service.

Ours just hit 70k miles recently, I just put the first set of new tires on it, finally put a K&N filter in it so I can quit buying filters, did an oil change(converted to synthetic), checked all the fluids (brake fluid, coolant, power steering), changed the front brake pads, Inspected the rear pads(they aren't ready to change yet), inspected the spark plugs, inspected the serpentine and timing belts.

Cost me 120 bucks. I'd be pissed about paying 700 for all that.

#19 ·
Most mechanics would not know what to do with a boxer engine.

It costs less for independent mechanic but maybe breaks or fluid change.

I don't believe in paying to check but I do believe in WORK DONE to replace fluids and such.

JUST CHECKING is a moneymaker for dealerships and a big rip off.

I WILL PAY FOR TRANSMISSION AND DIFF DRAIN AND FILL but not just to check. And price dealers cause you will be surprised on cost difference.

#20 ·
Dealerships "package" services together which include a lot of checking and topping off fluids. It's how they make money in the service department. You can also go "ala carte" and save a little bit of money but it wont be much. I chose to have the dealer do this work because they see these vehicles all the time and know what not to do. Plus, IF something were to go wrong during or after the service they will stand behind the work and make it right. just my 2 cents. :)

#21 ·
dealer service

at least with the dealer I go to, being loyal has its advantages, like when they do work not covered by the Subaru ext warranty under the warranty! eg replacing burnt out light bulbs in the dash and once they put the timing belt on SOAs dime when fixing an oil leak as the belt was "damaged" by the leak

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.