Subaru B9 Tribeca SUV Forum banner

"Mecha Error" CD changer dead

43K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  Magnet 
#1 · (Edited)
I was just wondering how many of you fellow owners have had this problem with their CD changer and if anyone has experience of dealing with it yourself?
:confused:
(PS for those of you wondering what it is, its an error message: "Mecha Error" and the CD changer does not work at all, radio is fine though...)

#4 ·
Peace said:
I was just wondering how many of you fellow owners have had this problem with their CD changer and if anyone has experience of dealing with it yourself?
:confused:
(PS for those of you wondering what it is, its an error message: "Mecha Error" and the CD changer does not work at all, radio is fine though...)
I just purchased a 2006 and get this error when I push the load button. I have never been able to get the "load" light on to try to insert a disc. This is a "mechanical error" and is probably due to a jammed disk. Once you get it I think the only solution is to pull the audio unit and replace it or repair it. I am trying to find someplace to repair it as a new unit is around $600 from dealer.

#5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the responses

Magic Marker said:
Are you putting in your own burned CD's w/ labels on them?
Nope, some discs are burned but have no labels.
POKO said:
I just purchased a 2006 and get this error when I push the load button. I have never been able to get the "load" light on to try to insert a disc. This is a "mechanical error" and is probably due to a jammed disk. Once you get it I think the only solution is to pull the audio unit and replace it or repair it. I am trying to find someplace to repair it as a new unit is around $600 from dealer.
Same here, I was planning to pull the unit out myself and see what I can do.

#6 ·
I Plan on doing the same. I will let you know what I find. There is a local repair shop that said if I bring both units in they can fix it but it might cost $275. I don';t know where they came up with that number. There is a listing on EBAY that will fix them for $129, but you must send in both units. Not sure I want to do that. Let us know what you find.

#7 · (Edited)
POKO said:
Let us know what you find.
Guess what. I took it out today. I was easy to get the audio unit out but a nightmare to investigate and access discs... short story (even if it seems long :lol: )

To Get the Audio Unit Out
1) disconnect the ground cable from the battery
2) remove the 2 panels around the gear shift to access the two lower screws for the front control panel
3) remove the panel pieces (silver panels on either side) covering the upper two screws for the front control panel (next to the ventilators)
4) Remove the four screws for the front control panel
5) Pull out the front control panel and disconnect the harness connectors
6) Remove the 4 screws holding the actual audio unit
7) Pull audio unit out
8) Disconnect harness connectors (4 of them) + antenna + 1 more
9) Unit is out! So far so good :)

To Get Access to the CD discs
Then it was a nightmare to get access to the actual CD changer and discs...

Had to remove at least 30 small screw and disassemble various metal parts incl. removing the main circuit board.(I snapped a few photos, I might upload them if anyone is interested)

However, finally, I could see the actual CDs (from on top), but still only about 30% of the top CD was visible. In my case I discovered that two CDs were jammed in the same slot (While another disc was positioned in a single slot below that seemed ok). I was not able to easily retrieve the jammed CD because that would have required me to spend about a day or two dissembling and trying to reassemble all the multiple small springs and various mechanical parts (these units are not built to be repaired...I tell you that).

Well, I couldn’t retrieve the CD out of the insert slot either, (not sure if the mechanics was jammed somehow because I could not even force it open :confused: , and I could not 100% identify what was blocking it (seemed to be some coggwheel mechanism) i.e., I failed trying to slide the disc out, as the mechanism was somehow locked in the “closed” position).

So I decided to snapp/break the top disc (the top one of the two that was in the same slot). That went fine and I could remove the pieces (managed to carefully snap it into 6 pieces, all were retrieved).

Then I made sure the remaining 2 discs were positioned fine and could be rotated freely.

I felt that it was nothing more I could do, so I spent 20-30 min reassembling everything. And then holding my breath....

To my great disappointment, :mad: I still had the same annoying "Mecha error" after installing the unit in the car again....sigh... piece of ****.

I better there is some programming thing that needs to be cleared or reset. Alternatively the CD jam has screwed up the load and eject mechanism permanently somehow, with the "Mecha error" result....

Enough for today, I might have another go at it if my wife lets me…

Well, anyway the radio still works so I haven't done any damage as far as I can tell. I am leaning towards finding me a replacement CD/radio. I wonder if there is any after market options that would fit behind the front control panel and all the OEM Tribeca connectors???? :confused:

PS Mine was a Panasonic unit
Model no 86201XA03A
Ref no CQ-EF8560X
(manufactured April 2005)
A replacement costs $871 on Subaru parts.com + shipping... not worth it...

#9 ·
Sorry to hear about your troubles Peace...very nice write up none-the-less:tup: Good info to know.

I guess it's a good thing we don't really use the CD changer:rolleyes:

#11 ·
Mecha Error

:mad: this recently happened to me. i just purchased my tribeca off of lease and within a month and out of warranty i got the "Mecha Error" which i believe means mechanical error. the radio does work. i cannot get the cds out no matter what i do. i made an apptmt to get it replaced. they had to order another unit. i waited for an hour and they told me the replacemet unit was defective and they would have to order another one. which i am still waiting for. if that one is defective there is another problem going on. Oh, and they replace it with a refurbished unit. then they send the old cd player in to the manufacturer and they retrive the cds somehow and supposedly send them back to you. i miss my cds. most of them were recordings that family members made so i would like to get them back.

Has anyone with this problem been able to figure out what's wrong??

#13 ·
Magnet said:
Oh, i forgot to mention.... i just purchased the upgrade navigation dvd and now i can't load it.:eek:
The Navigation DVD goes in the Nav DVD unit under the drivers seat. The Mecha error is for the cd player in the dash.

I gave up on the cd player and installed an Ipod Aux in unit. Works much better and it can't eat and keep my Cds. There are several posts in scoobymods showing how to do it. I used a griffin Autopilot I purchased on Ebay.

#14 ·
POKO said:
I gave up on the cd player and installed an Ipod Aux in unit. Works much better and it can't eat and keep my Cds. There are several posts in scoobymods showing how to do it. I used a griffin Autopilot I purchased on Ebay.
POKO, Congrats! that sound like a brilliant idea :) Would you please care to point me in the direction of what method you used (or thread you followed). Any special modifications needed for the 06' Tribeca?

#15 ·
Here is the thread I followed:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1188843

Here are the pictures(in PDF format courtesy of KMARTIN) that go along with that thread:

http://members.cox.net/kamartin/AuxInstall.pdf

If you already have an Aux port it would be a lot easier, but I didn't. There are several IPOD units to use after this cable is installed. I used the Griffin AutoPilot:

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/autopilot

I bought it on EBAY. It is all in the center console. I just push the RSE/AUX button and the center button on the AutoPilot and it plays. The volume must be higher than FM though.

There is a thread that used the Harmon Kardon unit :

http://www.harmankardon.com/drive-1/default.aspx

I can't seem to find it right now. Not even sure what forum I found it on. Once you get the cable installed(the hard part) you can use several units.

Hope this helps.

#17 ·
mecha error today

so im pretty sure that a cd is jammed in my player, has a label on it, so annoyed i had it in there but has always previously worked. but now my cd player won't work and i use it so i am so mad!!! i had only had my tribeca 3 months and i feel like crap keeps happening. i guess that's what i get for buying an 06 :( from the posts it looks like there is nothing that i can do except for either purchase a new player or get an aux jack installed......

#20 ·
Cost of CD player

My replacement CD player cost $499.00 I was surprised, I had expected more. In addition to replacing it they took care of some minor things like the driver door lock that would not work with the keyfob. this was out of waranty but they ordered the part and fixed it at no charge.

this was actually the second CD player they ordered for me. the first one did not work.... they were getting Mecha Error...... go figure.

well all is fine now:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.