Subaru B9 Tribeca SUV Forum banner

Wiper Blade Replacement - Aftermarket Blades

48K views 46 replies 29 participants last post by  Wiscon_Mark 
#1 ·
#4 ·
have a look at my link above (if you can't see it you need to register and log in but it's free) you can see I used aftermarket Trico blades. The link details the procedure changing out just the rubber while using the OEM holder. It's snowing and sleeting here now and the wife just took the B9 to the store. I'll give feedback on how the blades work. I have a feeling they are fine since so far I have not gotten a call saying what the heck did you do! :)

#5 ·
Just some quick feedback. I just called the wife to check out how she's doing on the roads. We have a good storm going. I can only remember a few times I've seen lightening and thunder while it was snowing like it is today. She said the wipers are working great, thank goodness, and she also said thanks for getting such a safe car to drive. Apprently the VDC has kicked in a few times here and there. My wife grew up in MI so she's good at driving in this stuff unlike a lot of the native Kansans. She saw a guy in a PU truck gunning it and sliding all over. It's not so much her I worry about it's all the boneheads that don't drive properly in this type of weather.

#6 ·
08 wiper arms

So I was in the dealership today, getting an oil change on my 06, and I noticed an 08 in the showroom. The wiper arms themselves are totally different than that of the 06, and 07's. I'm wondering if the assembly is interchangeable between the years. If so it would allow for the use of after market blades. I checked with the parts guy, but he couldn't verify if the connections are the same. Any ideas? :crash:

#7 ·
B9LTD83 said:
So I was in the dealership today, getting an oil change on my 06, and I noticed an 08 in the showroom. The wiper arms themselves are totally different than that of the 06, and 07's. I'm wondering if the assembly is interchangeable between the years. If so it would allow for the use of after market blades. I checked with the parts guy, but he couldn't verify if the connections are the same. Any ideas? :crash:
I think someone here already verified that the driver side is interchangeable, but not the passenger side. So Peaty's DIY is the best alternative so far.

As far as my blades, the driver side is fine, but the passenger side almost always "rubs" or skips on the upswing. I had the dealer swap them out under warrenty, but it still happens. Any ideas?

#8 ·
Magic Marker said:
As far as my blades, the driver side is fine, but the passenger side almost always "rubs" or skips on the upswing. I had the dealer swap them out under warrenty, but it still happens. Any ideas?
I pulled the rubber refills out and reversed the direction on each one, virtually eliminating the streaking problems I was having. Evidently the summer sun warps them somewhat and turning them around corrected the problem...at least for now.

-Karen in AZ-

#9 ·
kmartin said:
I pulled the rubber refills out and reversed the direction on each one, virtually eliminating the streaking problems I was having. Evidently the summer sun warps them somewhat and turning them around corrected the problem...at least for now.

-Karen in AZ-
Thanks. I'll give that a try. That damn rubbing is annoying. Subaru blades suck.

#10 ·
Hey Peaty,

How are the wiper blades working out for you? They keeping relatively streak free? Being in Canada, I am having a little bit of a tougher time finding the Trico break to fit type that you used, but haven't lost hope yet. Do you know what major American chains carry those? Every once in a while I head through Port Huron, MI and could find somewhere. I really need to swap them out, as the snow and slush around here can get brutal, and my wipers streak bad.

Anything you can add or suggest would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Jon

#11 ·
We've been having a heck of a winter, lots of snow for KS. They have been working out very nicely so far. We've gotten lots of use out of them so far. I was able to find them at Advanced Auto but not AutoZone. My guess is if you have a Sears they may carry them too if they have an automotive department. Advanced is owned by Sears I think. If you are really hard pressed for them I suppose I could get you a few sets and send them.

#12 ·
I had to replace mine and purchased NAPA direct fit refills. They are packaged one each, so you can purchase just 2 inserts. They do not need to be broken off, but I did find the rubber needed to be trimed about 1/4" after installing as they hit the arm portion.
Parts numbers are: 602601 and 602000 for one 26" and one 20" respectively. Hope this helps others.:)

#13 ·
swootton said:
I had to replace mine and purchased NAPA direct fit refills. They are packaged one each, so you can purchase just 2 inserts. They do not need to be broken off, but I did find the rubber needed to be trimed about 1/4" after installing as they hit the arm portion.
Parts numbers are: 602601 and 602000 for one 26" and one 20" respectively. Hope this helps others.:)
How are those refills working for you?

#15 · (Edited)
I finally ordered OEM Subaru refills/inserts from allsubaru.com at very reasonable prices. Several other online stores offer genuine Subaru parts at discounts, as well. The menus and selection processes are very similar on many of them.

Go to the main page, click on the Tribeca link. On the next page choose the "Parts" Catalog (not the Replacement one), select the year and make, and click "Search". Next you'll choose (B9) Tribeca, and page will automatically load the parts page.

Now scroll down the list on the left and click on "Windshield, then "Wiper and washer components", then "Inserts". Both right and left inserts appear in the menu to the right, and they are only $5 and $6 resp.

If you need the rear wiper insert, it's called a "refill" this time. Click on "Lift gate" then "Wiper and washer components", then "wiper blade" and finally "refill". It's under $4.

The S&H was almost as much as the whole order, so you might consider ordering something else while you're there, like engine air filters or such (as I have done).

We are finally getting some long overdue and blessed rain out here in the southwest deserts, but since I reversed the direction on my original refills a few months ago, I think I'm OK for another few days.

-Karen in AZ-

#16 · (Edited)
Peaty said:
Here is my how to on changing the front wiper blades. This is for my 2006. I'm sure it will work on the 2007 but not sure about the 08. I'm guessing it will but can't be positive:

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8727

Hope that helps someone.
I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to thank Peaty for the great write up on these aftermarket wiper blade refills. I have a 2007 Tribeca and the Subaru OEM wiper blades have always sucked. We have had them changed by the dealer (no charge) about every 6 months since we purchased the car new back in July of 2006. No matter what they did, the wipers were never any good. So, after reading Peaty's mod thread I decided to try it out. I found the aftermarket refills at my local Advanced Auto for $6 each (each one includes 2 refills, so I still have an extra set for later). It took me about 15 minutes from start to finish and they work very well. So much better than the Subaru OEM wiper blades. I wish I would have done this years ago! Thanks again for the great write-up.

#17 ·
Rear replacement wiper blade alternative to dealer

There is an alternative to going to the dealer for a replacement rear blade on the Tribeca. It may first appear that the blade and arm are one piece but if you take a look, you'll see the wiper blade can be replaced and its actually quite simple. There may be other alternatives, but I found the Trico Exact Fit Rear Integral Blade at wipers123 and it snaps right onto the special rear arm and looks like the factory original. Much cheaper than the dealer alternative. Comes with removal and replacement instructions too. Hope this helps...

:D

#18 ·
kmartin said:
I finally ordered OEM Subaru refills/inserts from allsubaru.com at very reasonable prices. Several other online stores offer genuine Subaru parts at discounts, as well. The menus and selection processes are very similar on many of them.

Go to the main page, click on the Tribeca link. On the next page choose the "Parts" Catalog (not the Replacement one), select the year and make, and click "Search". Next you'll choose (B9) Tribeca, and page will automatically load the parts page.

Now scroll down the list on the left and click on "Windshield, then "Wiper and washer components", then "Inserts". Both right and left inserts appear in the menu to the right, and they are only $5 and $6 resp.

If you need the rear wiper insert, it's called a "refill" this time. Click on "Lift gate" then "Wiper and washer components", then "wiper blade" and finally "refill". It's under $4.

The S&H was almost as much as the whole order, so you might consider ordering something else while you're there, like engine air filters or such (as I have done).

We are finally getting some long overdue and blessed rain out here in the southwest deserts, but since I reversed the direction on my original refills a few months ago, I think I'm OK for another few days.

-Karen in AZ-
I know this is old, but thanks :D :clap:

#19 ·
It was cheaper to get the refills from my local dealer. The right front was $9.95, left side was $11.95, and rear was $5.95. The fronts were just the rubber. You have to remove the old rubber and insert the new rubber into the metal back "plate". The rear refill already has the metal insert installed. When it warms up enough and the rest of the snow melts, I'll do the install.

#20 ·
MNSteve said:
It was cheaper to get the refills from my local dealer. The right front was $9.95, left side was $11.95, and rear was $5.95. The fronts were just the rubber. You have to remove the old rubber and insert the new rubber into the metal back "plate". The rear refill already has the metal insert installed. When it warms up enough and the rest of the snow melts, I'll do the install.
True, that is the cheapest way to go. But depending on grade of wiper you choose, it ranges from cheaper for all 3, to roughly $15 more for all 3 to replace the entire wiper blades (rubber and frames) front and back: (08 Tribeca Wipers). Also, the install is literally much less than 1-minute per wiper (see hook video and xx-B video). I just don't have the time, talent and patience to do the refill thing...wish I did, but I don't!! :)

#21 · (Edited)
I am thinking these might be a direct refill for our 2006 and 2007 front blades:

http://www.tirerack.com/wipers/detail.jsp?ID=1052&autoMake=Lexus&autoModel=GX460&autoYear=2012&autoModClar=

Has anyone tried them and/or do you think they will work? It would be nice to have Silicone blades so we could minimize how many times we change these !$@*$ things!!!

Also, tirerack says these are direct replacements for the rear wiper:

http://www.tirerack.com/wipers/detail.jsp?&autoModel=B9+Tribeca+Limited&VALEOR14G_Qty=1&autoModClar=&ID=1108&autoMake=Subaru&autoYear=2006

JCWhitney says this is a direct fit for the passenger side:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/piaa-framed-direct-fit-wiper-blade/p3039872.jcwx?filterid=c10390d17614y2006g34u0j1

And they say this Anco blade will fit the rear, similarly to the Valeuo blade mentioned by tirerack:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/anco-oe-replacement-wiper-blade/p3039698.jcwx?filterid=d17614y2006g34j1

#22 ·
Going to give the silicone blades from tirerack a try today.

#24 ·
SUCCESS!!!

For the 2006 and 2007 Tribecas, we can use the PIAA silicone refills from tirerack and the Valeo rear wiper assembly from tirerack. The part numbers are:

PIAA 94050
PIAA 94065
Valeo R-14G

They are all direct fit. No cutting necessary! Just follow Petey's directions for the fronts and the owner's manual for the rear. These are probably the best option for us 2006-2007 owners.

#35 ·
SUCCESS!!!

For the 2006 and 2007 Tribecas, we can use the PIAA silicone refills from tirerack and the Valeo rear wiper assembly from tirerack. The part numbers are:

PIAA 94050
PIAA 94065
Valeo R-14G

They are all direct fit. No cutting necessary! Just follow Petey's directions for the fronts and the owner's manual for the rear. These are probably the best option for us 2006-2007 owners.
I, too, ordered these refills from Tirerack on Sunday, and received it today. And I am in Toronto, Canada. Pretty quick delivery. Yes, it's a direct fit and will test it out tomorrow because it's been raining here. Everyone should give these a try.

#25 ·
wipers for 2006- great at tire rack $38 for all 3 shipped

Huskymaniac said:
SUCCESS!!!

PIAA 94050
PIAA 94065
Valeo R-14G

I just did the job. THANK YOU Huskymaniac for the research. back blade is odd. there is no clip, you just rotate it in and out. so simple ,it took me a minute or two the first time.I never would have found the front refill on my own. this saved a ton of money and i got superior quality

Attachments

#26 ·
Handy post.

Very slightly off topic, but one thing I swear by is using Rain X. Not so much for the rain but for ice.
Comming from the UK we have no where the amount of snow as in the USA but certainly plenty of Ice.
With Rain X I've found ice comes away so much easyer with a scraper than normal. I've had neighbours look at me anviously as they struggle scrapping the ice off with blue fingers as I manage the job in under a minute. Also use it on head and rear lights.
Only bit of exterior glass I don't use it on is the door mirrors. Morling Dew gives a fine foggy coating which wipers or the air as you drive, clears the glass. The door mirrors stay obscured and the recoat with the haze after you wipe them.

I've found the stuff makes the wiper blades seem to last a little bit longer although maby not enough to pay for a bottle in the long run.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.