rotella t6 on tribeca h6 3.0 - Page 4 - SB9T.com
SB9T.com

Go Back   SB9T.com > Tribeca Owners' Lounge > General

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2015, 08:20 AM   #61 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redb9man View Post
i just hit 6k miles on my first charge of Rotella T6 .the oil is still looking great and level still on the full mark .no loss .will probably stretch it out to 8k ...any thoughts out there ?😌
Put it this way... 8k is only 500 miles over the spec OCI, so I can't see how that in and of itself is going to hurt (provided you're still in your 7.5 month window). The lesser oil consumption you report is merely icing on the cake... the primary advantage to T6 is the higher ZDDP content, which is loved by the H6's cams & buckets, even though ZDDP itself may be a double-edged sword, (see below). Because of that and its shear resistance, you might be able to go 10mo/10k.

The only thing that has me wondering is that once ZDDP has hit its peak "layering," what is the relationship between ZDDP breakdown and OCI, i.e. is ZDDP breakdown constant (linear), or does breakdown occur at an increasing rate as the oil ages (exponential). Even though the paranoia with ZDDP in gas engines is mostly EPA-induced (IMO), there is truth in that zinc and phosphorus (the 'Z' and 'P' in ZDDP) will poison a cat (irreversibly chemically alter the catalyst); if ZDDP breakdown at 7,500 miles is X, then provided the rate at 10,000 miles isn't something ungodly higher like X times months cubed, then I wouldn't worry, personally. But here's the thing... Zn and P can only harm the cat if it's getting into the exhaust; if you're not consuming any oil between changes, you may be getting less Zn and P into your combustion chamber than any of us running the current API-SN oils (which have about 1/2 the content of both than the T6).

I'll be the first to say that I'm looking forward to hearing the results of your UOA.
psygnal11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2016, 10:55 AM   #62 (permalink)

For those interested ,there is a promotion running on all pennzoil oils ,and the rotella T6 as well ,they are offering a rebate of $2 per gallon on Synthetic Pennzoil or $5 off the Rotella 1 gallon Jugs ,if you get the Penn platinum 5w30 at Amazon with 15% off with subscription ,you end up paying like 12 bucks for a 5 quater Jug after rebate or $16 for a gallon of Rotella T6...

Rotella T6 plus Liqui Moli Mos2
Idemitsu ATF, 75w90 Valvoline Synth power Gear oil
Peak Global Lifetime Coolant and SCC
91 octane all the time

2008 Passat 2.0T Komfort A/T ...Wife's car

Rotella T6 5w40 plus Liqui Moli Ceratec
aising ATF
91 octane Fuel
redb9man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 07:28 PM   #63 (permalink)

Wow, excellent, thank you for the info!
tdelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2016, 02:02 AM   #64 (permalink)

I've only had my 09 Tribeca for about 1 1/2 years and don't know much about its history other then it had one owner from Quebec. I've been getting full synthetic oil changes every 5000km (usually 3-4 months) at the Delta Sonic in Niagara Falls NY because of the lower prices in the States. I'm usually down about 1 - 1.5 litres at the time of each change. Is everyone saying that if I switch to a 10w40 regular oil, that I will lose less oil? I have no oil leaks that I can see on my driveway, but I did just get both Catalytic converters replaced under the 8year/130000km factory warranty that comes with the vehicles in Canada because a CEL came on. When I picked up my vehicle the dealer said that they will not warranty these replacement cats because the engine is leaking oil internally and will eventually cause these cats to fail as well. They recommended a small block rebuild starting at $7200 which I am not willing to sink into this vehicle. I've read other members comments that if oil is leaking inside the motor, then Rotella could contribute to the cats failing...so I will definitely stay away from that. I was also told at the dealership that I have a leak at the timing chain cover and around the oil pump lines but that I will not see oil on my driveway from those leak points because it will burn off the motor before it hits the ground. I did put Lucas Oil stabilizer in (or some other kind of sealing oil product, I can't remember) and have not seen my oil drop at all in the last month. What would the oil experts recommend my doing?
Turtles_ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 02:55 PM   #65 (permalink)

Anyone still using rotella 5w40? Thinking of making the switch
subaru222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 06:35 AM   #66 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru222 View Post
Anyone still using rotella 5w40? Thinking of making the switch
I stopped based upon my weird consumption issues unrelated to t6.

Tell us more about the vehicle. I am generally inclined to say no to using an HDEO in my Tribeca being that it's easier on oil than say my Turbo Forester XT.
06 7 str. Ltd Sa Wht Prl 170k, JDM Eng 48k, blk lea, OEM rub mats, puddle lts, 7 str cgo tray, cgo nets, Audiovox 13.3" overhead DVD player, FM Trans, Osram Rallye 65W low bms, Garmin Nuvi 2597LMT, Mishimoto Oil Drn Plg, RT6 5-40, M1 75-90 Diffs, Valvoline Import MV ATF, Bfld Ctch Cns w/ drn, PK GL Lifetime w/ SCC, SUM - 255/55/18 Firestone Dest LE2s on Drk Gry Plastidipped Stockers WNTR - Hankook Icept Evo2 SUV 235/65/17s on Gunmetal Drag DR-62s, MNRF defl, SLTD/DRLD rotors cer pads

Last edited by 06b9beca; 12-31-2016 at 06:41 AM.
06b9beca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 07:03 AM   #67 (permalink)

I will say my cat went belly up on my LGT that had rotella for 30k. I don't know it was related, but have decided to step away from it since that it the stated reason for not using it in gas vehicles - it will harm the cat.
tdelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 07:47 AM   #68 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdelker View Post
I will say my cat went belly up on my LGT that had rotella for 30k. I don't know it was related, but have decided to step away from it since that it the stated reason for not using it in gas vehicles - it will harm the cat.
Yep, forgot about that aspect. There is a post in my head gasket thread indicating that these engines can easily go with 300k with any reasonable oil choice. As aggressive as I am, that would even make me think twice if I had an engine without issues. I'd go 5w-30 synthetic if I wasn't watching consumption so closely. Which Synthetic? I don't know, but it wouldn't be anything thicker than a 30 weight considering the general highway fuel economy on the vehicle combined with the small gas tank.
06 7 str. Ltd Sa Wht Prl 170k, JDM Eng 48k, blk lea, OEM rub mats, puddle lts, 7 str cgo tray, cgo nets, Audiovox 13.3" overhead DVD player, FM Trans, Osram Rallye 65W low bms, Garmin Nuvi 2597LMT, Mishimoto Oil Drn Plg, RT6 5-40, M1 75-90 Diffs, Valvoline Import MV ATF, Bfld Ctch Cns w/ drn, PK GL Lifetime w/ SCC, SUM - 255/55/18 Firestone Dest LE2s on Drk Gry Plastidipped Stockers WNTR - Hankook Icept Evo2 SUV 235/65/17s on Gunmetal Drag DR-62s, MNRF defl, SLTD/DRLD rotors cer pads
06b9beca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 01:01 PM   #69 (permalink)

I don't know. To me, it kind of begs the question: Which would you rather risk, the cost of a cat or an engine? These engines have no rollers in the valvetrain, which is one of the main issues of not having enough zinc in the oil.
Does a Tribeca really need this heavy duty of an oil? Probably not, but it is hot where I live almost year round, and I'll be doing some heavy towing.
Will the high zinc really take out my cat? Probably not, as long as I'm not burning oil. Maybe even add a catch can for extra measure.
Are there other synthetics without quite as much zinc that would be a good compromise? Yes, but not nearly as cheap and readily available. The German made Castrol Edge is what I have my eye on. It's actually available at Auto Zone as the "European Formula." Only in quarts, and not really cheap, but it has gotten high marks at BITOG, where they worship T6.
Subaru Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 01:26 PM   #70 (permalink)

One of the biggest wear problems in subaru engines is the Pistons, because of the size of the bore relative to the piston skirt size they tend to flop around more than inline or v engines causing wear on the side skirt and exacerbating the issue even more.

To that end T6 will coat the cylinder probably better than most oils.
FLsubies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 03:53 PM   #71 (permalink)

This is one of those cases where the factory information is ambiguous. While it says to use 5W/30 SM oil, it also says that in higher heat a oil of higher viscosity is required, but they do not say what that higher oil should be.
To the OP, if you lived above the 45th parallel, I would think 5W/30 would be what you should stick with, and what my local dealer tells there customer. BUT you live in Florida so a Synthetic diesel oil of 5W/40 should be just fine, and most likely what I would use in your temperature zone.
Jeffytune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:30 PM   #72 (permalink)

Most of the time, getting opinions on oil is like asking what the best underwear is. But after spending... days... over at BITOG, where there are dedicated Subaru threads, and reading, reading reading... opinions are one thing, oil analysis results that have been posted are serious information that you can really make an educated decision with. I have been a devoted Castrol GTX user for over 30 years. That's what Subaru used to always recommend in the before time, and I've just stuck with it. My work vehicle that I have abused for 16 years now, has a 91 EJ22 with 500k hard miles on it. I have always run the 20/50 in the summer, and it still has 180 psi compression in all cylinders, with no no engine noises whatsoever. It also doesn't leak oil from any of the crank or cam seals, which I've never replaced So, I really don't know how I could do much better. But when you look at conventional Castrol results, at least how they stand up to turbo shear, you can see that synthetics are superior. And I've known that. But I've always felt that for the extra cost, unless you stretch out your change intervals, which synthetic can arguably do, I just can't leave dirty oil in my engines. After 4000 miles, it's dirty, no matter how good it is. I just don't want to do it.
But now that I bought the Tribeca... which is SO nice and I know I will be taxing it with some cross-country boat towing adventures, I'm willing to spend the extra for the very best oil. Even if I still change it at 4k.
Old 06-06-2017, 06:39 AM   #73 (permalink)

I switched to the euroblend castrol edge on my Legacy at the last change and I'm pretty happy with it. Aside from the extra cost, it hasn't used any oil during this interval. Something I noticed on the Tribeca and Legacy was the T6 tended to use a quart or so between changes. I thought it may have just been a fluke on the Tribeca, but the same thing happened on the Legacy on the first time using the T6. Oddly enough after the initial change no oil was used between subsequent changes. However on recommendations from Legacygt.com I gave the Castrol a shot and now I'm not sure I want to go back even with the much lower cost of T6.

On the same note my dad switched the Beca over to pennzoil platinum I think and it's still running good as ever, looks like the timing cover may be leaking though. Not enough to worry about yet.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:24 AM   #74 (permalink)

FLsubies, are you using the 0w40?
Old 06-06-2017, 07:41 AM   #75 (permalink)

Yes the a3/b4.
Old 07-06-2017, 06:54 AM   #76 (permalink)

I just did an oil change and used M1 0W40 European version, I have noticed:

1-That the morning start ups are very quiet
2-The throttle response has improved (maybe is all in my head)

Rotella T6 plus Liqui Moli Mos2
Idemitsu ATF, 75w90 Valvoline Synth power Gear oil
Peak Global Lifetime Coolant and SCC
91 octane all the time

2008 Passat 2.0T Komfort A/T ...Wife's car

Rotella T6 5w40 plus Liqui Moli Ceratec
aising ATF
91 octane Fuel
redb9man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 07:55 AM   #77 (permalink)

Wallyworld now stocks 5-quart jugs of the Castrol 0w40 for 23 bucks!!

Yes, European formula, A3/B4, made in Germany.

They only had one, which I copped. Talked to manager, he said he was increasing his order.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:05 AM   #78 (permalink)
Moderator Elite

The Tribeca doesn't get many miles put on it, so I switched to Mobil Super High Mileage 5w-30. I had used Mobil1 0w-40 and Rotella in the past on this vehicle.

My observations:

Oil consumption has gone down significantly
The engine runs quieter overall, particularly further into the oil change life.

I did a used oil analysis after 6 months on the last batch and Blackstone told me that everything looks great for wear and that I could stretch it out, but it's only $15ish for a 5 quart jug, so I just change it twice a year.

2015 Dodge Charger AWD

2008 Subaru Tribeca Limited 7 passenger w/ Navigation

Former Subarus:
12 Impreza
03 Forester
95 Outback
Wiscon_Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 06:51 AM   #79 (permalink)

on my last change i went with royal purlple 5w-30, thus far this one had the least consumption between, mobil castrol and rotella. I know its more expensive but twice a year extra 50 bucks is cheap.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:47 PM   #80 (permalink)

I would say any synthetic oil is good as longest you add some heavy duty Lucas oil that thing is great for any vehicle
arias loko is offline   Reply With Quote