rotella t6 on tribeca h6 3.0 - Page 3 - SB9T.com
SB9T.com

Go Back   SB9T.com > Tribeca Owners' Lounge > General

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2015, 03:00 PM   #41 (permalink)

if you dont want to use the T6 you could use the Pennzoil Platinum 5W40 Euro.the Castrol Edge 5W40 .or Edge 0W40 that have some good VOA's and i have seen the 5qts Jug going for $25 at Walmart ,Mobil 1 0W40 .any good XW40 weight should make our H6 motors happy ,i believe we could easily go 7k miles OCI with any of those big dogs

Rotella T6 plus Liqui Moli Mos2
Idemitsu ATF, 75w90 Valvoline Synth power Gear oil
Peak Global Lifetime Coolant and SCC
91 octane all the time

2008 Passat 2.0T Komfort A/T ...Wife's car

Rotella T6 5w40 plus Liqui Moli Ceratec
aising ATF
91 octane Fuel
redb9man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2015, 03:17 PM   #42 (permalink)

Yes, the SN-rated 10w-40 synthetic I'm currently using made a big difference in the engine. The thicker oil really quieted it down, oil consumption has been essentially cut in half and I can't tell any difference in fuel economy. Was thinking of going with a 0w-40 but given we live in a southern climate it's really not necessary.
Talkinghorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 06:44 PM   #43 (permalink)
Moderator Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkinghorse View Post
Concerning cost, a buddy of mine recently got a quote from Subaru to replace what they diagnosed as a bad cat for his '97 OB. It appears they were incorrect in their diagnosis, but the quote was $2500. People can use what they want, but I'm not going to run an oil that will potentially cause a premature failure.

$2500! Holy ****, what a rip-off. The OEM cats for that gen Legacy/Outback was less than $1000 and it's probably about a half hour of labor with a lift.

Good advice though, I'll have to look into other oils that have the "gasoline engine" seal in a similar weight.

2015 Dodge Charger AWD

2008 Subaru Tribeca Limited 7 passenger w/ Navigation

Former Subarus:
12 Impreza
03 Forester
95 Outback
Wiscon_Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2015, 06:37 AM   #44 (permalink)

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscon_Mark View Post
$2500! Holy ****, what a rip-off. The OEM cats for that gen Legacy/Outback was less than $1000 and it's probably about a half hour of labor with a lift.
You're right...it is a rip off. I've actually replaced them on one of my previous Subaru's and it's really not that big of a deal. I don't remember what it ran me, but I used OEM parts I got from a Dealer who was willing to work with me and it all turned out well.

The Dealer closest to me is ridiculous...poor quality service and price-gouging. I absolutely refuse to do business with them. They don't wear ski masks and don't carry guns that I know, but they're as close to being robbers as it gets.

So here's the deal with my buddy. He owns 5 Subaru's, including a Tribeca. He lives in TN and one day not too long ago he was driving his '97 OB and hit some water that was ponded on the road. Immediately after hitting the water the CEL came on. Shortly thereafter he took it to a Dealer outside of Nashville. ..he said he emphasized to them several times that the light came on right after he hit the water. Dealer pulled it in the shop and the Advisor came out and told him the cat was bad and that it would cost $2500 to R&R. That was more than he wanted to invest in the car so he asked them if they could reset the light...absolutely. So they reset it and he's driven it for close to 3,000 miles without it coming back on. I can't say with certainty what triggered the light, but I suspect the sudden cooling of the exhaust system, brought on by going thru the water, probably had something to do with it. If the cat were truly defective, I believe the light would have come back on after a couple drive cycles from the time it was reset.

You gotta watch these shops. My kid has a '07 Impala and it was running and shifting really bad. Opinions from repair shops told him the problem was oil related, bad lifter, and/or transmission related. The car has about 150K on it. He brought the car over, and although the CEL was not lit I connected my scanner and retrieved a stored code that showed it had a miss in the #1 cylinder. I replaced the plugs, wires and ignition coil and guess what???? It runs perfect!!! Cost for the parts was ~$140. And guess what else??? He called Chevy and they wanted over $900 to do what I did in an hour and a half. And that doesn't include any diagnostics had he gone in there with a problem.

So that's my rant for today...I feel better now!

Last edited by Talkinghorse; 02-18-2015 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:23 PM   #45 (permalink)
Moderator Elite

Quote:
If the cat were truly defective, I believe the light would have come back on after a couple drive cycles from the time it was reset.
Even then, it could have just been a bad sensor. I had a cat efficiency code pop up on my Forester - replaced the sensor since it wasn't all that expensive and it never came back.

2015 Dodge Charger AWD

2008 Subaru Tribeca Limited 7 passenger w/ Navigation

Former Subarus:
12 Impreza
03 Forester
95 Outback
Wiscon_Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 07:13 AM   #46 (permalink)

Yes, could have been an O2 sensor, but as in the case of the cat the light would have come back on if it were defective. Point is that the Techs are often quick to sell you repairs that might not necessarily be required...particularly when it's a non-warranty repair that doesn't get scrutinized by the OEM

Replaced the downstream sensor on my neighbor's Lexus...CEL was on and my scanner pointed to the sensor. Dealer wanted several hundred to replace it. I bought an OEM direct replacement (Denso) from NAPA for about 80 bucks and that took care of it.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:31 AM   #47 (permalink)

Rotella T6 is on sale for $19.57 on Amazon

91 octane all the time

aising ATF
91 octane Fuel
Old 03-29-2015, 12:34 PM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redb9man View Post
Rotella T6 is on sale for $19.57 on Amazon
From Shell Technical Services:

"We do not recommend the Rotella T6 for your Tribeca as the diesel engine anti-wear additives will shorten the life of your catalytic converter(s)."

Old 03-30-2015, 05:54 AM   #49 (permalink)

please don't use it on your beca !!!! for those of us with Turbo Engines on our second cars. is nice to get a heads up on a sale of a product we use. i still use on my beca at my own risk ,the day my engine starts using oil. i will stop using it. so the ZDP doesn't make it to my Cat Conv .the later being the only one concern :the WRX ,LGT guys and VW guys "myself included " love this stuff....if you are not a user please disregard..

91 octane all the time

aising ATF
91 octane Fuel
Old 03-30-2015, 06:33 AM   #50 (permalink)

I only use this in our Tribeca. Engine is still healthy with 210k miles, last 150k with Rotella. Have a couple external oil leaks that I need to button up but internally she's good.
singincanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:52 AM   #51 (permalink)

Never mind. Wrong version of Rotella.

Last edited by tdelker; 03-31-2015 at 02:40 PM.
tdelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 02:29 PM   #52 (permalink)

Wow, using thick t6. The thickest I have gone was mobil 1 0w40 or castrol 0w30.
STIGR-Wagon-Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 02:38 PM   #53 (permalink)

Our engines calls for 5W30. Assuming you have a tribeca... 5W40 is a bit thick, but seems to do well.

Ops, I see my previous post wasn't for the T6, but regular T. I need to fix that...

Tom
tdelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 04:05 PM   #54 (permalink)
avk

Quote:
Originally Posted by STIGR-Wagon-Dad View Post
Wow, using thick t6. The thickest I have gone was mobil 1 0w40 or castrol 0w30.
If 0W40 is OK, so is 5W40 if 5W30 is specified.
avk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 06:48 AM   #55 (permalink)

Quote:
From Shell Technical Services:

"We do not recommend the Rotella T6 for your Tribeca as the diesel engine anti-wear additives will shorten the life of your catalytic converter(s)."
I simply cannot come to grips with using anything that could potentially compromise or damage probably the single vehicle part that has the highest "OEM cost" to "difficulty to source used" ratio. Sure, it's unlikely that a few cycles of T6 will kill an otherwise healthy cat, but $900 for an OEM LH exhaust assembly buys you more than one lifetime supply of Oil Dri and/or Lucas Oil Treatment.

Like any DIY-er, I'm a cheapskate bent on quality, but I know there's always a point where risk of non- (or beyond) spec outweighs the reward, and IMO, T6 crosses that line.

As mentioned... I went back to conventional 5w30 Shell generic SN that I buy by the case at Menards for $30. My oil leak is virtually gone. I used to stand strongly and confidently by synthetic oils... now I've taken SOA's side and will forever recommend only conventional 5w30 for the B9.

YMMV, and I won't argue with the facts that people have been running T6 in their H6 for many years without issue or problem... the above is strictly one person's (my) opinion.
psygnal11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 11:38 AM   #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by avk View Post
If 0W40 is OK, so is 5W40 if 5W30 is specified.
True. Mobil 1 0w40 barely makes it as a 40. It's more like a heavy Xw30. I like the mobil 1 for this application more than the t6 due to it being thinner and higher in antiwear additives, which helps with power and fuel economy. Also, you can go longer running Mobil 1 in between oil changes. I would use t6 on something that runs hotter than NA h6 like a turbo or diesel. Both are excellent choices.
STIGR-Wagon-Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 01:27 PM   #57 (permalink)

FWIW: Have used Mobil 1 5W-30 (0W-30 during Winter) in my 2007 since I bought her new. Have almost 120k miles, no oil leaks, no oil consumption. Change oil every 5k miles. I was sold on Mobil 1 back in the late 80's after BMW and Mobil 1 did a test and ran one of their engines for 1 million miles. Upon tear down, the engine internals looked like new.
sweetpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 12:13 PM   #58 (permalink)

i just hit 6k miles on my first charge of Rotella T6 .the oil is still looking great and level still on the full mark .no loss .will probably stretch it out to 8k ...any thoughts out there ?😌

91 octane all the time

aising ATF
91 octane Fuel
Old 07-11-2015, 07:01 AM   #59 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSiWRX View Post
Invest in a UOA (or a couple of UOAs), if your plan for the vehicle is for it to stay with you for a long time.

Every engine is just a little different.
^ For those who intend to own their vehicles for a long time and are looking to save some money by extending the OCI, a UOA (or three) would go a long way towards peace-of-mind.
TSiWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 07:07 AM   #60 (permalink)

Just got the mailing kit from Blackstone Lab i will sample at 7.5k and go from there...����

91 octane all the time

aising ATF
91 octane Fuel

Last edited by redb9man; 07-11-2015 at 07:21 AM.