Dodik's 09 Tribeca - Page 6 - SB9T.com
SB9T.com

Go Back   SB9T.com > Tribeca Owners' Lounge > Members' Journals

Like Tree3Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2016, 08:48 AM   #101 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Dodik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NYC
Posts: 495
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwabo View Post
So you just switched the spring perch over but not the top collar?
yeah i didnt think it was removable, have the old struts in the trunk gonna pull the, off and install, along with bunch of other misc crap
__________________
09 Subaru Tribeca -- slow and ....um fat, definitely fat.
Dodik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-02-2016, 11:45 AM   #102 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,310
Default

The great thing about doing your own car work is how much faster it is when you do it the 2nd time to get it right been there way to many times...
tdelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 01:21 PM   #103 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Dodik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NYC
Posts: 495
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdelker View Post
The great thing about doing your own car work is how much faster it is when you do it the 2nd time to get it right been there way to many times...
on my old outback, i could swap all four corners in my driveway under two hours, that was a routine thing for summer/winter.
So doing this a second time will be much faster as well
__________________
09 Subaru Tribeca -- slow and ....um fat, definitely fat.
Dodik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-04-2016, 06:30 PM   #104 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: NYC
Posts: 26
Default

Nice car dude.
I also own Tribeca 2009 with 126 K on the clock.
Soon probably i will need to replace shocks too.
Great job, keep posting.
EMBRAER145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 05:57 AM   #105 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Dodik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NYC
Posts: 495
Default

anyone want to guess the specs on new shoes?




__________________
09 Subaru Tribeca -- slow and ....um fat, definitely fat.
Dodik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 09:23 AM   #106 (permalink)
Member
 
BRGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: North Idaho
Posts: 59
Default

Those look a bit out of the ordinary, very meaty tires. 15x8.5 wheel? 16x8.5? Do they even make wheels in those specs? lol. Im not sure a 15" or 16" would clear the brakes though? It looks almost flush with the wheel-well as well, so unless you're running spacers, they must be a solid 8" wide at the least? I couldn't even begin to guess the tire specs.

They remind me of the Prodrive P7's. I like them.

BTW: what is that decal on the passenger door? A modified STI sticker? Looks sweet. Nice subtle touch.
__________________
Currently Own:
2003 Outback 2.5i
2008 Tribeca Limited - 7 passenger
Sold:
2005 WRX
Future Possibilities:
2008/2009 Outback XT
2008/2009 Outback 3.0
2008/2014 WRX/STI Hatch
BRGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 12:49 PM   #107 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Dodik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NYC
Posts: 495
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRGT View Post
BTW: what is that decal on the passenger door? A modified STI sticker? Looks sweet. Nice subtle touch.
Thats and SL-I.net sticker from another suby forum.
__________________
09 Subaru Tribeca -- slow and ....um fat, definitely fat.
Dodik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 07:24 AM   #108 (permalink)
Moderator Elite
 
Wiscon_Mark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 526
Default

I'm gonna say 17s. 265-65? You're running some interesting offset or you have spacers on there, too, unless it's just the camera causing some distortion.
__________________
-Mark

2015 Dodge Charger AWD

2008 Subaru Tribeca Limited 7 passenger w/ Navigation


Former Subarus:
12 Impreza
03 Forester
95 Outback
Wiscon_Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:19 AM   #109 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Dodik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NYC
Posts: 495
Default

close enough, wheels are 17x7.5 Et45 nothing crazy, no spacers or anything, tires almost as you guessed, 235/70/17. They are just an inch taller then stock, now since they are not rubbing im thinking i should've gone taller lol
i'll take a few more pics once i wash it
__________________
09 Subaru Tribeca -- slow and ....um fat, definitely fat.
Dodik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 01:41 PM   #110 (permalink)
Member
 
BRGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: North Idaho
Posts: 59
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodik View Post
close enough, wheels are 17x7.5 Et45 nothing crazy, no spacers or anything, tires almost as you guessed, 235/70/17. They are just an inch taller then stock, now since they are not rubbing im thinking i should've gone taller lol
i'll take a few more pics once i wash it
That's crazy, they looked like 16's to me in the pics. Maybe the extra rubber makes them appear wider. They seem this fill things out rather well in spite of their size. You have run a big range of wheel sizes at this point, what is your favorite as far as ride/drivability goes?
__________________
Currently Own:
2003 Outback 2.5i
2008 Tribeca Limited - 7 passenger
Sold:
2005 WRX
Future Possibilities:
2008/2009 Outback XT
2008/2009 Outback 3.0
2008/2014 WRX/STI Hatch
BRGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 06:17 AM   #111 (permalink)
Moderator Elite
 
Wiscon_Mark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 526
Default

Honestly, 18s look more like 16s on the Tribeca because of the size of the tires & the large wheel arches. The Tribeca's tire diamater is a full 100mm larger than the tires on my Impreza!
__________________
-Mark

2015 Dodge Charger AWD

2008 Subaru Tribeca Limited 7 passenger w/ Navigation


Former Subarus:
12 Impreza
03 Forester
95 Outback
Wiscon_Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 06:41 AM   #112 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Dodik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NYC
Posts: 495
Default

well stock wheels had really crappy tires, hydroplaning was terrible, that why i ditched them fast. Also at 32lbs per rim and another 35 for the tire they were the heaviest.

my winter setup, 17x7 et 42 with 235/65r17 General Alitmax, they are pretty good in sense of they are much lighter and grip better, but they do make a lot of noise.

20s from Nitro, 20x7.5 et 40.475 with Pirelli RS-A 245/50/20, They were pretty heavy as well, not as heavy as stock but close. On good road they were great, highway driving was nice, but on pebble streets that are by my work they were transmitting a bit too much feedback(probably because if poly bushings) My main issue was that they would give my vibrations at 75+mph, yes they were balanced, and then balanced again and again, I could never find the correct hub rings for them, the closest i found where still 0.25mm off it doesnt sound like much but it played a role i guess. And my turn around radius was much worse due to low offset.

Now onto the current setup, wheels are Drag DR-33 17x7.5 et45, Tires a Firestone Destination LE2, 235/70r17 so this is almost an inch taller then stock.
These wheels weight in at 20lbs each, tires at 33, so instead of stock 65-68lbs, im turning 53, this is a huge plus, ride feels so much more smooth then anything before, dead silent on the highway as it is a highway all season tire, (my co-worker thought my wheel bearing died when i had snows on, that how loud they are).
I mostly drive the car in the city and even that not much, i mean I put about 5-6k miles a year (public transport to work). Once I put some miles on them I'll chime in more, but for now this is my favorite.
__________________
09 Subaru Tribeca -- slow and ....um fat, definitely fat.
Dodik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 09:03 AM   #113 (permalink)
Member
 
BRGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: North Idaho
Posts: 59
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscon_Mark View Post
Honestly, 18s look more like 16s on the Tribeca because of the size of the tires & the large wheel arches. The Tribeca's tire diamater is a full 100mm larger than the tires on my Impreza!
That makes sense now that I think about it. I'm used to 18's filling out any Subaru well, but the Tribeca is the exception it seems. I may have to reconsider getting 18x8.5 replacements when I get my Tribeca in favor of a 19" wheel. It'll be my wife's car though, so I don't want to sacrifice too much comfort and noise..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodik View Post
well stock wheels had really crappy tires, hydroplaning was terrible, that why i ditched them fast. Also at 32lbs per rim and another 35 for the tire they were the heaviest.

my winter setup, 17x7 et 42 with 235/65r17 General Alitmax, they are pretty good in sense of they are much lighter and grip better, but they do make a lot of noise.

20s from Nitro, 20x7.5 et 40.475 with Pirelli RS-A 245/50/20, They were pretty heavy as well, not as heavy as stock but close. On good road they were great, highway driving was nice, but on pebble streets that are by my work they were transmitting a bit too much feedback(probably because if poly bushings) My main issue was that they would give my vibrations at 75+mph, yes they were balanced, and then balanced again and again, I could never find the correct hub rings for them, the closest i found where still 0.25mm off it doesnt sound like much but it played a role i guess. And my turn around radius was much worse due to low offset.

Now onto the current setup, wheels are Drag DR-33 17x7.5 et45, Tires a Firestone Destination LE2, 235/70r17 so this is almost an inch taller then stock.
These wheels weight in at 20lbs each, tires at 33, so instead of stock 65-68lbs, im turning 53, this is a huge plus, ride feels so much more smooth then anything before, dead silent on the highway as it is a highway all season tire, (my co-worker thought my wheel bearing died when i had snows on, that how loud they are).
I mostly drive the car in the city and even that not much, i mean I put about 5-6k miles a year (public transport to work). Once I put some miles on them I'll chime in more, but for now this is my favorite.
Great info, thanks Dodik. What I'd like to do is get a set of 2015 base STI wheels. Here are the specs:

2015 STI Non-BBS (Enkei)
Size: 18x8.5"
Offset: +55 (same as 08+ Tribeca)
Bolt Pattern: 5x114
Wheel Weight: 24.25 (not great, but not bad)
OEM-equipped tire size: 245/40-18 (not sure what tire size I'd do yet, but 245/?-18 with all-seasons is my starting point)

I figure this could be a great choice for a replacement to the stocks because the offset is the same, Subaru OEM is a plus for me, they look sweet and the weight is quite a bit lower. The one downside that I can think of is price. They aren't cheap, but I think I may pony up because both my wife and I love the wheels. I'll try to find a deal on a used set. The additional half inch of width over the stock wheels should be a plus aesthetically and shouldn't have too much drawback as a winter tire width. Hopefully.
__________________
Currently Own:
2003 Outback 2.5i
2008 Tribeca Limited - 7 passenger
Sold:
2005 WRX
Future Possibilities:
2008/2009 Outback XT
2008/2009 Outback 3.0
2008/2014 WRX/STI Hatch
BRGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 09:38 AM   #114 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Dodik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NYC
Posts: 495
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRGT View Post
Great info, thanks Dodik. What I'd like to do is get a set of 2015 base STI wheels.
OEM-equipped tire size: 245/40-18 (not sure what tire size I'd do yet, but 245/?-18 with all-seasons is my starting point)
I don't know, for some reason i personally don't like the look of offset higher than 50, so to me those Sti take offs are just like stock but slightly prettier, but at a cost.

tire wise for those you are pretty much limited to 255/55/18 that come stock with maybe 265/55 or 245/60/ basically any 29 inch tire. once you go lower on the offset like 45-48 range you get just a tad bit more room on the inside, so you can run wider or taller tire, plus wheel is closer to the outside so it looks better imho,
cost is probably the main factor i swap wheels so often, on my outback in 150k that I put on it tires cost me 180 dollars over a seven year period.
__________________
09 Subaru Tribeca -- slow and ....um fat, definitely fat.
Dodik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 11:40 AM   #115 (permalink)
Member
 
BRGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: North Idaho
Posts: 59
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodik View Post
I don't know, for some reason i personally don't like the look of offset higher than 50, so to me those Sti take offs are just like stock but slightly prettier, but at a cost.

tire wise for those you are pretty much limited to 255/55/18 that come stock with maybe 265/55 or 245/60/ basically any 29 inch tire. once you go lower on the offset like 45-48 range you get just a tad bit more room on the inside, so you can run wider or taller tire, plus wheel is closer to the outside so it looks better imho,
cost is probably the main factor i swap wheels so often, on my outback in 150k that I put on it tires cost me 180 dollars over a seven year period.
Good point on the lower offset being a plus aesthetically. I figured the extra width on the STI wheels would provide the look I wanted but now I'm wondering if offset would do that even more. You haven't found there to be any notable drawbacks to using an offset that much lower than stock? I don't want to 'waste' money, but my goal would be to find a nice wheel that we really like and stick with it for a long time. So I'm ok spending the money on the right set.
__________________
Currently Own:
2003 Outback 2.5i
2008 Tribeca Limited - 7 passenger
Sold:
2005 WRX
Future Possibilities:
2008/2009 Outback XT
2008/2009 Outback 3.0
2008/2014 WRX/STI Hatch
BRGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 01:15 PM   #116 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Dodik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NYC
Posts: 495
Default

Well 8" wide rim is only 200mm wide, while your tire is 255, 8.5" rim is 212.5mm so going wider with same offset will push the tire just a tad bit closer to the strut.

45mm offset on a 7.5 rim vs 55mm on 8" rim(stock); 45 offset will only stick out about 3-4mm

look at offset calculators, they'll explain it visually
__________________
09 Subaru Tribeca -- slow and ....um fat, definitely fat.
Dodik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 02:53 PM   #117 (permalink)
Member
 
BRGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: North Idaho
Posts: 59
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodik View Post
Well 8" wide rim is only 200mm wide, while your tire is 255, 8.5" rim is 212.5mm so going wider with same offset will push the tire just a tad bit closer to the strut.

45mm offset on a 7.5 rim vs 55mm on 8" rim(stock); 45 offset will only stick out about 3-4mm

look at offset calculators, they'll explain it visually

I understand, that is a good explanation. That being said, I assume the wheels you are running wont affect the suspension geometry too much. not enough for it to be a concern at least.

I actually dug in and learned quite a bit about offset and fitment in general after your earlier post. I think I'll be able to effectively narrow things down now. I'll pick my favorite aftermarket option (properly sized) to compare against the STI wheels.
__________________
Currently Own:
2003 Outback 2.5i
2008 Tribeca Limited - 7 passenger
Sold:
2005 WRX
Future Possibilities:
2008/2009 Outback XT
2008/2009 Outback 3.0
2008/2014 WRX/STI Hatch
BRGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:08 AM   #118 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Dodik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NYC
Posts: 495
Default

got my cross bars, they are fleabay generic 54" bars nothing crazy but should do the trick in hauling longer crap. so far upto 60 mph no whistling.





__________________
09 Subaru Tribeca -- slow and ....um fat, definitely fat.
Dodik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 11:33 AM   #119 (permalink)
Member
 
BRGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: North Idaho
Posts: 59
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodik View Post
got my cross bars, they are fleabay generic 54" bars nothing crazy but should do the trick in hauling longer crap. so far upto 60 mph no whistling.





I like the look of those. Better looking than the stock crossbars IMO because they stick out a bit past the rail. Sportier look for sure. Tempted to upgrade to that style when I'm ready to buy a cargo box.
__________________
Currently Own:
2003 Outback 2.5i
2008 Tribeca Limited - 7 passenger
Sold:
2005 WRX
Future Possibilities:
2008/2009 Outback XT
2008/2009 Outback 3.0
2008/2014 WRX/STI Hatch
BRGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:32 AM   #120 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Dodik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NYC
Posts: 495
Default

Last week I had some time to work on the car and do tune up.

Still not finished with a couple small things but got a few things done.

Changed spark plugs to OEM, two years ago I installed E3. was a bit surprised as how dirty they looked. They weren't bad but I expected them to be cleaner.

Thru in two new duralast axles. on the front as both of mine had leaking boots and started to click just a tiny bit. No vibrations so i guess my tranny mount is still good.

Tinted front windows 50% this is probably one of the best things to do if you are not afraid of cops.

installed new set of LEDs low beam bulbs, the ones i installed last year pass side died. This time around I bought OPT7 brand which has good reviews on amazon, I bought mine thru ebay since its cheaper there.
They are definitely better quality then no name $30 set that I had, haven;t been in all black out to see if there is any light output difference.
OPT7 come with a driver and what i think is a capacitor so they "should" last longer.

changed blown fog light bulb, was surprised as how much PIA it is to change one.

Changed rear diff fluid.

ill post a few pics a bit later on.
__________________
09 Subaru Tribeca -- slow and ....um fat, definitely fat.
Dodik is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2010, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Designed & Powered by Domain Architect