Once upon a time... Mick got his Tribeca - SB9T.com
SB9T.com

Go Back   SB9T.com > Tribeca Owners' Lounge > Members' Journals

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By MicBert

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2013, 05:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to MicBert
Default Once upon a time... Mick got his Tribeca

... it was about half of October 2011, when I get my 2008 Subaru Tribeca. While I was driving it to home with all my family on board I was the happiest man in the world. In the following months I got a lot of satisfactions from it, and I was really happy abut having it bought, even if it has cosset some sacrifices.
But one night, coming back room a long trip (only a small part of it done with my little jewel), I was very tired, and on one of the latest curves, I went out of road, damaging quite a lot my 4-wheels-drive-treasure. It was march, the 10th 2012.

...to be continued

Last edited by MicBert; 06-14-2016 at 06:21 AM.
MicBert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2013, 08:30 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default nowadays

Currently the chassis is repaired. The engine is almost ready, it has already started up once, but there is still a small oil leak from one phase variator, which must be replaced too. We ordered it and we are waiting it to be mounted before performing automatic gear calibration.

Finally airbags remain to restore, and mount all the front bumper, grid, glass, etc.

Hoped to have my car back before the end of the month, but this last spare does not want to arrive!!! Now I hope for the end of the next month...
Old 07-03-2014, 06:12 AM   #3 (permalink)

Uhm... it seems I do not keep this journal extremely up to date! I am so naughty...

My jewel is again on the road, even if not 100% complete. It works perfectly, except for some details: the 12V plugs in the box between the front seats, and the LPG level indicator, the right seat belt height regulation locked, a small vibration coming from the engine in some not-well-known situations.

Anyway, I am happy to have it again in my garage...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2015, 12:55 AM   #4 (permalink)

Not much up to date, this diary .

Anyway, about one year ago, I get the car almost repaired. There is still some details to fix, but I'm waiting to complete payment before going on. In order of importance there is:
  1. Airbag controller. I tried to reset it, but it seems it has to be replaced completely. I hope to find it at a reasonable price.
  2. Engine stand. Is it the right word? I mean what fix the engine to the chassis. Some of them have to be replaced
  3. LPG tank spoiler. There are some metal sheet to protect it, that has been bent, and I suppose they can give aerodynamics improvement once fixed.
  4. Automatic gear controller reset. I still have a bump changing from 2nd to 3rd. Probably I could fix it by myself, just buying the right cable, and downloading the software. It's just a matter of decide to do it!

Eventually I have the LPG level indicator which does not work (it needs a calibration though special software and cable), and it would be nice to upgrade the LPG controller software, which has some interesting features aimed to lengthen engine life.

Then I can start with the real modification!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg foto_fai.jpg (314.7 KB, 29 views)
Old 03-25-2015, 06:51 AM   #5 (permalink)

2. The engine sits on two "Engine Mounts," i.e. rubber discs on a metal plate, which are affixed to the chassis.

I'm curious... did you buy the Tribeca with LPG installed or did you do the conversion to LPG after you purchased? In the U.S., very few cars run on LPG (though CNG is becoming more popular in some states), but I know you can buy kits, which are much more popular in Europe... I've always been somewhat intrigued by this, so if you did the conversion after you bought the vehicle, I'd be particular curious as to how it ran before and after and/or if you've noticed any material differences since the conversion.
psygnal11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 12:39 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by psygnal11 View Post
2. The engine sits on two "Engine Mounts," i.e. rubber discs on a metal plate, which are affixed to the chassis.
Thanks for the infos.
I suppose they are someway broken, since I hear a creaking noise every time the engine changes from accelerating to slowing down, and if I push the car back and forth (with the gear in P), I can see a little movement of the engine.
Anyway nothing serious, I suppose (and hope).

Quote:
I'm curious... did you buy the Tribeca with LPG installed or did you do the conversion to LPG after you purchased? In the U.S., very few cars run on LPG (though CNG is becoming more popular in some states), but I know you can buy kits, which are much more popular in Europe... I've always been somewhat intrigued by this, so if you did the conversion after you bought the vehicle, I'd be particular curious as to how it ran before and after and/or if you've noticed any material differences since the conversion.
I bought the car used, with the LPG just installed, but I can anyway tell you something, since the LPG installation does not affect how the engine works when you switch to gasoline, and that's what typically happens when you run out of gas.
You can't usually feel the difference between the two fuels, unless you are really sensitive, and you use to take to its limit, which is not my case with this car (previously I had an outback with a naturally aspirated 2.5 engine, and with that I used to push down the gas to the bottom). On the test bank, typically the LPG reduces a little bit the torque at low engine speed, and increase it at high speed, but as I told, that's nothing you can clearly perceive while driving.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:20 AM   #7 (permalink)

Interesting.

In your experience, is an LPG retrofit typically a do-it-yourself or professionally installed job?

Are there any government or other regulations that require you to get an emissions test/check periodically (for instance, every other year I have to take my car in to test for any ECU/emission failures; some states, it's an annual test; some states, it's not required at all) and if so, are the LPG conversions any more prone to a failed test/check?
psygnal11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:06 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Interesting.

In your experience, is an LPG retrofit typically a do-it-yourself or professionally installed job?
No, at all!
From the lows point of view, it is not allowed in Italy (and whole Europe as far as I know), since an official commissioning is required, and the mod must be registered "public car record" (literally translated from Italian).
From the technical point of view, the installation require to tune up a set of parameters in the additional engine controller, for which some special know-how and experience are needed. Usually LPG-kit manufacturer provide special training to people who want to do installations.

Quote:
Are there any government or other regulations that require you to get an emissions test/check periodically (for instance, every other year I have to take my car in to test for any ECU/emission failures; some states, it's an annual test; some states, it's not required at all) and if so, are the LPG conversions any more prone to a failed test/check?
The only thing required in Italy (and maybe whole Europe) is to replace the LPG tank every 10 years.
Speaking about ECU emission, actually LPG reduces them, especially unburned gas. But there isn't any special check required by Italian lows, other than the ones needed for any kind of engines.

Mick
Old 03-26-2015, 03:20 PM   #9 (permalink)

Very informative guys ,good to know about LPG ...going back to the squeaky noise around the engine ,i don't know if the 08's are affected but there was an issue with the rear engine mount bracket on the 06's and 07's .it was a defect on the welding if i am not mistaken. ..just something that crossed my mind

Rotella T6 plus Liqui Moli Mos2
Idemitsu ATF, 75w90 Valvoline Synth power Gear oil
Peak Global Lifetime Coolant and SCC
91 octane all the time

2008 Passat 2.0T Komfort A/T ...Wife's car

Rotella T6 5w40 plus Liqui Moli Ceratec
aising ATF
91 octane Fuel
redb9man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 01:11 AM   #10 (permalink)

Default Tribeca again parked at the mechanic

Currently my Tribeca is again stopped, waiting to pass periodic ministerial check (mandatory every 2 years in Italy), which requires the airbag system efficient to be passed.
But the airbag controller is so expensive!!!

So now I am waiting for such spare part from subaruonlineparts.com.

Last edited by MicBert; 05-06-2016 at 06:59 AM.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:14 AM   #11 (permalink)

Just some picture.
foto_fai.jpg
IMG_0852.JPG
IMG_0893.jpg

Last edited by MicBert; 05-06-2016 at 09:55 AM. Reason: added photos
Old 06-08-2016, 02:01 AM   #12 (permalink)

Some other old picture
tribeca-resana-02.jpg
tribeca-resana-08.jpg

2008 Tribeca limited w/navigation (modified for LPG)
Former: Outback 2.5i MT MY06 (modified for LPG)
Old 06-14-2016, 05:46 AM   #13 (permalink)

Package arrived, and delivered to the mechanic. My Tribeca is coming back on the road soon!

tmp_17462-IMG_20160613_112226938701921.jpg

Last edited by MicBert; 06-14-2016 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-26-2017, 01:18 AM   #14 (permalink)

Once a year I come here to give some news.
This time it look that a cycle is completed: last monday I went to pick my car, after the last reparation needed to recover from the accident happened in 2012.
The gear/c-diff holder has been replaced (I will provide a picture as soon as take one). Moreover the spark-plugs was all loosen, and one coil was just hanging. I let the spark-plugs be replaced (after about 50 miles).

Now the gear work very smoothly, as it never did, neither when I had just bought it in 2011 (it wasn't new), and the engine sounds very exiting!
Darmapow and OliverB like this.

Last edited by MicBert; 07-27-2017 at 06:20 AM.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:25 AM   #15 (permalink)

This is the holder. It keeps the transmission anchored to the chassis though rubber bumpers. In the pictures you see how the middle strew was bended during the impact.
IMG_20170727_143621.jpg

IMG_20170727_143449.jpg

Old 07-30-2017, 12:35 AM   #16 (permalink)

Mick-you may want to check your torque mount. As redb9man mentioned about the earlier years, my 06 Tribeca had a broken transmission mount, similar to what happened to yours. Mine had not been in an accident, it had failed from age and high mileage. When it went, the movement of the engine had pulled the pitch mount off the firewall and was making a creaking noise very similar to what you describe. I was able to tack weld it back together after replacing the mount and have had no trouble since. It is located between the transmission and firewall just under the engine throttle body.
130guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 02:34 AM   #17 (permalink)

Are you suggesting to check it, even if I don't have any trouble any more?
After replacing the transmission mount, all works very fine.

Old 08-01-2017, 02:36 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130guy View Post
Mick-you may want to check your torque mount. As redb9man mentioned about the earlier years, my 06 Tribeca had a broken transmission mount, similar to what happened to yours. Mine had not been in an accident, it had failed from age and high mileage. When it went, the movement of the engine had pulled the pitch mount off the firewall and was making a creaking noise very similar to what you describe. I was able to tack weld it back together after replacing the mount and have had no trouble since. It is located between the transmission and firewall just under the engine throttle body.
Is this what you had to replace?

Last edited by MicBert; 08-01-2017 at 02:37 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 08-04-2017, 12:22 PM   #19 (permalink)

I didn't actually have to replace that. It was actually the metal bracket that fits into on the firewall was torn off the firewall due to the transmissions movement. I need to set up a photobucket account to post pictures on here
130guy is offline   Reply With Quote