Hood latch recall - hood opened - SB9T.com
SB9T.com

Go Back   SB9T.com > Tribeca Owners' Lounge > Warranty/TSB/Maintenance

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tdelker

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2017, 01:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hood latch recall - hood opened

I know it was posted before, but I actually wasn't aware of that particular recall, and I don't, uhm, recall getting a notification.
That's quite unfortunate since the darn hood just slammed into my windshield going about 60-65 mph on the freeway. No injuries, but hood is bent and windshield cracked. Scared the sh.. out of me.
Just found out about that recall when googling. Original owner of the car, and I did get the Takata recall notice, but not the hood latch.

So obviously they still have to fix the original latch issue at no cost. But does anybody know if they are also required to repair the other damage? Or can they say I am on my own because they issued the recall but I failed to get it fixed? (not knowing about it)
alces is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2017, 08:17 AM   #2 (permalink)

You're asking for legal advice, which although this is probably not the best forum for doing so, I am curious - presuming you responded to the airbag recall - as to why your dealer didn't address the hood latch when you took it in for the Takata recall (which was issued subsequent to the hood latch recall).

Now if you didn't take it in for the Takata recall, the first thing the attorney on the other side is going to argue is that it would have been fixed when you responded to the Takata recall.

While it may be true, getting a judge/jury/arbitrator to believe that you didn't receive a recall notice for the hood latch (they sent them 3-4 times, IIRC) is going to be an uphill battle.

My preferred online Subaru parts store (OEM): http://parts.libertyautocitysubaru.com/
psygnal11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:31 AM   #3 (permalink)

True, it may become more a legal issue, at which point I would involve my attorney.
But I was just looking to see if someone has an opinion or experience with such a situation.
alces is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2017, 05:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Moderator Elite

Typically cascading failures caused by a recall or extended warranty part should be taken care of under that, but I wouldn't expect it to be that easy.

Your best angle is definitely to argue that the dealership said nothing about the other open recall when you came in to do the airbag.

I know the hood latch recall got mailed out well before the airbag recall for me - is it possible that the previous owner was notified? Seeing your join date, I'm guessing you've had your Tribeca more than a year or two, so this probably isn't it.

2015 Dodge Charger AWD

2008 Subaru Tribeca Limited 7 passenger w/ Navigation

Former Subarus:
12 Impreza
03 Forester
95 Outback
Wiscon_Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:58 AM   #5 (permalink)

I would call Subaru of America and ask really nicely. They have been good to people in the past. They will likely ask you to take it to your local dealer to have them look at it.

Tom
06b9beca likes this.
tdelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:07 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdelker View Post
I would call Subaru of America and ask really nicely. They have been good to people in the past. They will likely ask you to take it to your local dealer to have them look at it.

Tom
+1 I concur....never know! They have taken care of me before.
06 7 str. Ltd Sa Wht Prl 170k, JDM Eng 48k, blk lea, OEM rub mats, puddle lts, 7 str cgo tray, cgo nets, Audiovox 13.3" overhead DVD player, FM Trans, Osram Rallye 65W low bms, Garmin Nuvi 2597LMT, Mishimoto Oil Drn Plg, RT6 5-40, M1 75-90 Diffs, Valvoline Import MV ATF, Bfld Ctch Cns w/ drn, PK GL Lifetime w/ SCC, SUM - 255/55/18 Firestone Dest LE2s on Drk Gry Plastidipped Stockers WNTR - Hankook Icept Evo2 SUV 235/65/17s on Gunmetal Drag DR-62s, MNRF defl, SLTD/DRLD rotors cer pads
06b9beca is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hood latch, recall