Latest news on 2018 Tribeca - Page 5 - SB9T.com
SB9T.com

Go Back   SB9T.com > Tribeca Owners' Lounge > News and Rumors

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2017, 05:37 PM   #81 (permalink)

https://gallery.mailchimp.com/ea6ede...l_Brochure.pdf

In case anyone wanted to gander a the offerings, looks like I would want a limited or at least a premium, I am sure it is aptly named for what it will cost. Oh well it will be worth a look at the very least.
FLsubies is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2017, 05:13 AM   #82 (permalink)
Moderator Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLsubies View Post
I am kind of disappointed with the size, especially the 3rd row and the space behind it. It is wider than the tribeca for sure but it isn't that much longer and actually somehow has less interior volume, unless there was some change in the way that is measured that would explain the lower number...I still want to experience one and see what the wife thinks about it.

Otherwise it will be very nicely equipped even the base models, and pricing starting in the low 30s will be plenty competitive even with the outback.
Looking at the full photos that Motortrend had, there's no way the interior is smaller than the Tribeca or even anywhere close. Space behind the 3rd row is bigger, there's legroom in the 3rd row and the 2nd row looks cavernous.

The only way I can think of them getting that measurement is only measuring cargo space behind the 2nd row with it up.

Overall length is longer, there's no way they got less space with the new platform.

This link has 75 photos that show more of the interior than anywhere else that I've found: Exclusive 2019 Subaru Ascent Prototype First Drive: Biggest Subie Ever - Motor Trend

I'm fairly excited about the heated steering wheel and ventilated seat options. Subaru is really trying to compete with their options there. A limited with Harmon Kardon would probably be the perfect one for my wife.
FLsubies likes this.

2015 Dodge Charger AWD

2008 Subaru Tribeca Limited 7 passenger w/ Navigation

Former Subarus:
12 Impreza
03 Forester
95 Outback

Last edited by Wiscon_Mark; 11-30-2017 at 05:20 AM.
Wiscon_Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:19 AM   #83 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscon_Mark View Post
Looking at the full photos that Motortrend had, there's no way the interior is smaller than the Tribeca or even anywhere close. Space behind the 3rd row is bigger, there's legroom in the 3rd row and the 2nd row looks cavernous.

The only way I can think of them getting that measurement is only measuring cargo space behind the 2nd row with it up.

Overall length is longer, there's no way they got less space with the new platform.

This link has 75 photos that show more of the interior than anywhere else that I've found: Exclusive 2019 Subaru Ascent Prototype First Drive: Biggest Subie Ever - Motor Trend

I'm fairly excited about the heated steering wheel and ventilated seat options. Subaru is really trying to compete with their options there. A limited with Harmon Kardon would probably be the perfect one for my wife.
I think the pictures are taken in a way as to make it seem bigger, because hard measurements given in the video put the space behind the 3rd row as 3 inches longer than the tribeca. But volume is 19.6cft vs 8.6cft with the 3rd row up so it that flat backend could be helping that cargo volume a ton. With all seats folded flat though the tribeca was bigger inside, which I don't get either but the specs say so.
Attached Images
File Type: png tribecacargo.png (472.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: png ascentcargo.png (96.7 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by FLsubies; 11-30-2017 at 09:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2017, 10:13 AM   #84 (permalink)

I'm excited about it. Annoyed that I have to go to Touring to get the brown leather, and then loose the tungsten color. Hopefully that will change. Why limit the exterior colors on the higher model?

Is the factory hitch 2" for the 5,000 lb towing? Seems hard to imagine that it would still be the smaller hitch. With the way it's integrated, it sure would be nice if it was 2" as aftermarket probably will struggle with making a hitch as well integrated.

Update: It explicitely says class III hitch on the higher tower rating vehicle, which is typically a 2" receiver.
FLsubies likes this.

Last edited by tdelker; 11-30-2017 at 10:16 AM.
tdelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 02:48 PM   #85 (permalink)

Per people who saw the vehicle, there is no way the interior specs are correct. It is much larger than that. The posted numbers are OB/Forester territory.

It is huge, I would not worry about room.
FLsubies likes this.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:43 AM   #86 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleAgeSubie View Post
Per people who saw the vehicle, there is no way the interior specs are correct. It is much larger than that. The posted numbers are OB/Forester territory.

It is huge, I would not worry about room.
That is what I am hoping! After the Subaru Mega Meet yesterday the wife is very interested in seeing the Ascent! Can't wait for a preview in our area.

I also compared some of The dimensions on the outside of the Ascent to our Odyssey and the Ascent is both wider and taller, but barely shorter by 5 or 6". There is definitely hope.
Old 12-03-2017, 10:54 AM   #87 (permalink)

You guys are old money. I'll read through this post more in like 10 years.
06 7 str. Ltd Sa Wht Prl 170k, JDM Eng 48k, blk lea, OEM rub mats, puddle lts, 7 str cgo tray, cgo nets, Audiovox 13.3" overhead DVD player, FM Trans, Osram Rallye 65W low bms, Garmin Nuvi 2597LMT, Mishimoto Oil Drn Plg, RT6 5-40, M1 75-90 Diffs, Valvoline Import MV ATF, Bfld Ctch Cns w/ drn, PK GL Lifetime w/ SCC, SUM - 255/55/18 Firestone Dest LE2s on Drk Gry Plastidipped Stockers WNTR - Hankook Icept Evo2 SUV 235/65/17s on Gunmetal Drag DR-62s, MNRF defl, SLTD/DRLD rotors cer pads
06b9beca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 11:15 AM   #88 (permalink)

Haha, yeah, there are no plans for replacing the Tribeca until 2030 here.

I will rather want to add a third vehicle in about five years and there is only one new vehicle that interests me for that purpose: the JLU Rubicon.
06b9beca likes this.
Old 12-03-2017, 05:06 PM   #89 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06b9beca View Post
We are already making a car payment on our Odyssey, and it surprisingly uninspiring as a vehicle lol. So might as well see if we like this and maybe lease it for a couple years to make sure.
06b9beca likes this.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:32 AM   #90 (permalink)
Moderator Elite

Quote:
Heh, we'll likely end up buying a pre-owned one that's off lease in a 3 years or so. Not sure I'll be able to afford a new vehicle payment, much less an outright purchase anytime soon, either.
06b9beca likes this.

2015 Dodge Charger AWD

Former Subarus:
12 Impreza
03 Forester
95 Outback
Old 12-06-2017, 03:57 PM   #91 (permalink)

Quote:
Ha! Because we dream of a Subaru 7 person hauler that has some room? I think you have us confused with the Cayenne folks!
FLsubies and 06b9beca like this.
tdelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 06:15 PM   #92 (permalink)

Average cost of a new car $33k...
Old 12-07-2017, 10:31 AM   #93 (permalink)

Quote:
We are already making a car payment on our Odyssey, and it surprisingly uninspiring as a vehicle lol. So might as well see if we like this and maybe lease it for a couple years to make sure.
Do it, I dare you!
06 7 str. Ltd Sa Wht Prl 170k, JDM Eng 48k, blk lea, OEM rub mats, puddle lts, 7 str cgo tray, cgo nets, Audiovox 13.3" overhead DVD player, FM Trans, Osram Rallye 65W low bms, Garmin Nuvi 2597LMT, Mishimoto Oil Drn Plg, RT6 5-40, M1 75-90 Diffs, Valvoline Import MV ATF, Bfld Ctch Cns w/ drn, PK GL Lifetime w/ SCC, SUM - 255/55/18 Firestone Dest LE2s on Drk Gry Plastidipped Stockers WNTR - Hankook Icept Evo2 SUV 235/65/17s on Gunmetal Drag DR-62s, MNRF defl, SLTD/DRLD rotors cer pads
Old 12-07-2017, 10:33 AM   #94 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdelker View Post
Ha! Because we dream of a Subaru 7 person hauler that has some room? I think you have us confused with the Cayenne folks!
Lol! I make everyone fit in mine. My 6 foot tall 13 year old is lying about being cramped. I know he is.

It's nice back there, but I am not 6 foot tall. Not too horribly far from it though.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:35 AM   #95 (permalink)

Quote:
Heh, we'll likely end up buying a pre-owned one that's off lease in a 3 years or so. Not sure I'll be able to afford a new vehicle payment, much less an outright purchase anytime soon, either.
Yeah, I vowed I'd never make a payment again. Life is funny. I kind of like it. My nose will be turned up at it when we come to a stoplight together though. Maybe I WAS a Cayanne owner in another life!
Old 12-07-2017, 11:08 AM   #96 (permalink)

Not keen on turbocharging a family vehicle. I have my FXT and other turbocharged vehicles for that. I mean, Subaru sure has shown that turbocharged vehicles can be reliable, but why add the layer of complication especially for 260 HP??

Sure, you can mod it....but modding a family vehicle? Nah, not for me. I like reliability mods and creature comfort.
Old 12-09-2017, 02:32 PM   #97 (permalink)
Moderator Elite

Quote:
I mean, Subaru sure has shown that turbocharged vehicles can be reliable, but why add the layer of complication especially for 260 HP??
Fuel economy standards.

And Torque. Lots of torque, especially compared to the V6 competitors.
FLsubies likes this.

2015 Dodge Charger AWD

Former Subarus:
12 Impreza
03 Forester
95 Outback
Old 12-09-2017, 04:48 PM   #98 (permalink)

Quote:
Fuel economy standards.

And Torque. Lots of torque, especially compared to the V6 competitors.
Flat 6 has great torque already though. I guess with the AWD there will be even more sustainable torque though.

Turbocharging hurts fuel economy a bit when in boost as compared to being in vacuum.

I don't doubt it will be a beast, just not my cup of tea.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:46 PM   #99 (permalink)

Quote:
Flat 6 has great torque already though. I guess with the AWD there will be even more sustainable torque though.

Turbocharging hurts fuel economy a bit when in boost as compared to being in vacuum.

I don't doubt it will be a beast, just not my cup of tea.

My legacy is rarely in boost just cruising as I am sure the Ascent will be seeing plenty of vacuum with the cruise set. For a somewhat comparison, when I set the cruise on my LGT I average 27-30 mpg highway and when I don't I am in the 18-22 range depending on how much of a "hurry" I am in. Our tribeca was good for 23-24 hwy cruising at 70. Our odyssey 25 mpg easy at 75, so if the Ascent can break that cruising it just checks one more box.

I'll be honest, the towing, AWD, and third row are going to be the real main points for us. Subaru's have always been super easy to get in and out of, except the Tribecas 3rd row. If it can ace that the wife will be sold I already know that for a fact.

The 3.6 develops full torque at 4400 rpm, the 2.4dit will peak from 2krpm to around 5k rpm and when tuning arrives I am sure there will be a towing tune. Maybe I need to start taking those Cobb University classes, lol.

Last edited by FLsubies; 12-09-2017 at 05:49 PM.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:08 PM   #100 (permalink)

Quote:
My legacy is rarely in boost just cruising as I am sure the Ascent will be seeing plenty of vacuum with the cruise set. For a somewhat comparison, when I set the cruise on my LGT I average 27-30 mpg highway and when I don't I am in the 18-22 range depending on how much of a "hurry" I am in. Our tribeca was good for 23-24 hwy cruising at 70. Our odyssey 25 mpg easy at 75, so if the Ascent can break that cruising it just checks one more box.

I'll be honest, the towing, AWD, and third row are going to be the real main points for us. Subaru's have always been super easy to get in and out of, except the Tribecas 3rd row. If it can ace that the wife will be sold I already know that for a fact.

The 3.6 develops full torque at 4400 rpm, the 2.4dit will peak from 2krpm to around 5k rpm and when tuning arrives I am sure there will be a towing tune. Maybe I need to start taking those Cobb University classes, lol.
Well that is true. Even my tiny FXT with TD04-13T is rarely in boost either. I just don't see how a turbo is going to better fuel economy. It can't. Unless the idea is that it will be able to do better with fuel economy than a bigger engine and make similar numbers I can see that angle.

I like the features the Ascent has. I hope that it doesn't make this forum even less frequented...well time does that regardless.

My wife is already sold. It's me who has no interest in making the payments.
FLsubies likes this.