Latest news on 2018 Tribeca - Page 4 - SB9T.com
SB9T.com

Go Back   SB9T.com > Tribeca Owners' Lounge > News and Rumors

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2017, 07:25 PM   #61 (permalink)

Just be sure to keep tabs on the reliability of the LR and VW as they age, I have not heard great things.

As for the weight of the Ascent, if we look at the progression of the Tribeca, it would be logical to assume the Ascent would be close to 4.5k lbs. The OB weighs in around 3800 lbs according to cars101.com.

For comparison sake a Cx9 weighs 4300 ish and makes a 7.5 sec dash to 60 with its turbo 4. I can see the subie not being far off either of those numbers, but remember the Ascent will be larger than other 3 rows, save for the Atlas.

IF...big IF...subaru manages 300 Hp or 300Lb ft I think it will best the Atlas in performance even the V6 version rated at 276hp/266tq.
FLsubies is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2017, 10:16 PM   #62 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLsubies View Post
Just be sure to keep tabs on the reliability of the LR and VW as they age, I have not heard great things.

As for the weight of the Ascent, if we look at the progression of the Tribeca, it would be logical to assume the Ascent would be close to 4.5k lbs. The OB weighs in around 3800 lbs according to cars101.com.

For comparison sake a Cx9 weighs 4300 ish and makes a 7.5 sec dash to 60 with its turbo 4. I can see the subie not being far off either of those numbers, but remember the Ascent will be larger than other 3 rows, save for the Atlas.

IF...big IF...subaru manages 300 Hp or 300Lb ft I think it will best the Atlas in performance even the V6 version rated at 276hp/266tq.
I sure hope they can manage 300/300, otherwise they could have just plugged the 2.0 in and go B9 all over again. I also hope that the Ascent will be say TB weight thanks to newer materials etc.

Yeah the dependability and durability of LR (and VW) is a big issue.

What is sadly ironic is that the most important feature of an offroad vehicle must, logically, be dependability. Yet, except for Toyota/Lexus, capable vehicles are cellar dwellers when it comes up to this metric.

There are many reasons why I have a modified H6 5 EAT OB, chief of which the fact that I had no clue how often I would want to go offroad, but a key one was--and remains--my trust in the vehicle.

The other factor, as you pointed out earlier is price. If I am to pay more than 35-40k, I want everything: capability, road manners, durability, and, at that price not less importantly, styling I like. There is no vehicle that fits all boxes, at least not under 60k msrp.

No matter how I slice it, the best solution for me is to simply rent a modified Wrangler in Moab for the few trails that I want to drive that are too much for my modified OB. I am not interested in the hardcore trails.

In other words, the number of trails between what my modified OB can do and what requires a Rubicon or modified 4Runner is too small to justify putting up with the price and dependability of a Land Rover or the styling and potential issues of a Grand Cherokee Trailhawk.

As for the TB, I am not ruling out the Ascent as a replacement but from what I have seen so far I will not be tempted to take any chances with the first model years either.

Things will sort themselves out. Much will depend on interest rates a few years from now.

Last edited by MiddleAgeSubie; 04-14-2017 at 10:23 PM.
MiddleAgeSubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 08:20 PM   #63 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleAgeSubie View Post
No matter how I slice it, the best solution for me is to simply rent a modified Wrangler in Moab for the few trails that I want to drive that are too much for my modified OB. I am not interested in the hardcore trails.
You know the saying: "The best off road vehicle...is someone else's."

That applies to race cars too.
laufu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2017, 08:41 PM   #64 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laufu View Post
You know the saying: "The best off road vehicle...is someone else's."

That applies to race cars too.
Haha, yeah, the idea of having a do-it-all vehicle is appealing on paper but reality is different.

With limited mods, Outbacks and Foresters are probably the best Swiss knives there are in the auto industry.
Old 04-15-2017, 09:26 PM   #65 (permalink)

Also applies to boats!
Old 04-16-2017, 04:26 AM   #66 (permalink)

Might be going to the auto show today
1-3-2-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:12 AM   #67 (permalink)

here are couple pics from upclose

Old 04-17-2017, 06:17 AM   #68 (permalink)

Nice pictures is it just me or does it not look that much bigger?
Old 04-17-2017, 06:25 AM   #69 (permalink)

it feels bigger, but not by much,
there is still decent trunk with 3 rows up, definitely bigger than beca',
shock are shockeye style not clevis like we have, so there might be just a tad more hope for aftermarket or cross suby parts there.
I was a bit disappointing at how concept this thing was, i guess i was hoping for more production grade vehicle than this was.
There are no wipers on it, so i asked the rep if they going to make us suffer again with non-standard blade mount, she got annoyed really fast.

Because of kids i didnt spend enough time there taking pics but in the link a few more that i took.
https://goo.gl/photos/H1JrfkYWwkzVb7jCA
Old 04-17-2017, 06:27 AM   #70 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodik View Post
shock are shockeye style not clevis like we have, so there might be just a tad more hope for aftermarket or cross suby parts there.
I was a bit disappointing at how concept this thing was, i guess i was hoping for more production grade vehicle than this was.
There are no wipers on it, so i asked the rep if they going to make us suffer again with non-standard blade mount, she got annoyed really fast.
Wow in that case I'm glad my train got delayed I thought it was going to be close to the final look.. not sure why she would get mad with the question.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:25 PM   #71 (permalink)

Thanks for the pictures Dodik. And thinking of the wipers!

Did the Subaru say anything about a heads up display? One of your pictures show there is a small slit over the steering wheel console. To my eyes, it looks like it could be a projector.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:36 PM   #72 (permalink)

Quote:

Because of kids i didnt spend enough time there taking pics but in the link a few more that i took.
https://goo.gl/photos/H1JrfkYWwkzVb7jCA
Many thanks!

Did you get a sense of the rocker panel height? The TB's is significantly lower than the OB's. Add my 2" lift and oversize tires and the OB makes the TB sitting next to it look like an Impreza.

Also, did the approach angle look any better?
Old 04-18-2017, 06:01 AM   #73 (permalink)

it was hard to judge approach and departure angles in the crowd, plus the entire bottom was plated so my guess is it has no drivetrain at the moment. That means its sitting at a preset level done by some suspension guy. I couldn't even see springs so it may just be a roller with no suspension at all. LOL Best reference for now would be spy shots on the first page,

have no idea, no would even think to ask about heads up display. Last thing i want is a cop driving next to me and seeing my speed on the windshield.

in reality the styling gap between Viziv and this concept, probably will be same size as between this one and production model.

from spy shots you see, that there are no fancy headlights/tails. wheels on spy car look like 20s most likely wrapped in 255/50/20 tires, brakes on spy shots look same size as we have. etc etc.

Last edited by Dodik; 04-18-2017 at 06:11 AM.
Dodik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:18 AM   #74 (permalink)
Moderator Elite

Quote:
There's no real reason to believe that will happen again. Subaru has a much larger bankroll for development now than they did when they produced the Tribeca. Someone probably offered them really cheap wiper blade arms that weren't standard when they were designing the Tribeca and some bean counter said "we don't have any margin, let's do this to squeeze a bit out."

2015 Dodge Charger AWD

2008 Subaru Tribeca Limited 7 passenger w/ Navigation

Former Subarus:
12 Impreza
03 Forester
95 Outback
Wiscon_Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:13 AM   #75 (permalink)

i always thought that wipers were intentional, make them more robust kinda thing.
truthfully if you compare the spyshots to the concepts you can clearly see that nothing has changed much in subaru thinking, show a great concept and water it down when it comes to production.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:39 AM   #76 (permalink)

just got back from a week long trip to arizona, covered 2200 miles in rental GMC Acadia, what surprised me was 2.5l engine in it. No turbo and no CVT thing still managed to do a pretty good job. although i was in 2wd all the time and yes it is not fast by any means 29.0mpg is impressive.
Which brings me here, I think ascent probably will be close to that in class, good as a family hauler but not much for towing/power.
If subaru manages to get the gearing right,(which they never do in my opinion) this might be appealing to vast majority of 7 seater buyers.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:07 PM   #77 (permalink)

Quote:
just got back from a week long trip to arizona, covered 2200 miles in rental GMC Acadia, what surprised me was 2.5l engine in it. No turbo and no CVT thing still managed to do a pretty good job. although i was in 2wd all the time and yes it is not fast by any means 29.0mpg is impressive.
Which brings me here, I think ascent probably will be close to that in class, good as a family hauler but not much for towing/power.
If subaru manages to get the gearing right,(which they never do in my opinion) this might be appealing to vast majority of 7 seater buyers.
I believe the upcoming Ascent will be much bigger than the Acadia. The prototype images show it to be bigger than an Explorer, but not as big as the previous gen Arcadia.

Also 29 mpg is pretty good for a car that size. I had a loaner Outback 2.5i with Eyesight when I was getting work done on my Legacy and I averaged 27 mpg over the coarse of 4 days. My Tribeca is currently averaging around 15! The Legacy 3.6 is getting 24mpg, but that is cheating since the trip meter rolled over back to zero.

Slightly off topic, did the Acadia rental have a third row and how does the space compare to the Tribeca?
Old 07-11-2017, 06:42 AM   #78 (permalink)

it did have a third row but i didnt raise it, but with all rows down i was able to sleep inside on a more or less flat surface (i'm 6'4). i'd say it slightly roomier then tribeca. Overall it had good room upfront with telescoping steering wheel and properly positioned pedals it was great to drive, i spent basically a week in that car, some features where finicky but overall it was much better than i expected from a gmc.
laufu likes this.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:21 AM   #79 (permalink)

so subaru kraken has been released, looks like tribeca had sex with an outback
FLsubies likes this.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:42 AM   #80 (permalink)

I am kind of disappointed with the size, especially the 3rd row and the space behind it. It is wider than the tribeca for sure but it isn't that much longer and actually somehow has less interior volume, unless there was some change in the way that is measured that would explain the lower number...I still want to experience one and see what the wife thinks about it.

Otherwise it will be very nicely equipped even the base models, and pricing starting in the low 30s will be plenty competitive even with the outback.