Subaru B9 Tribeca SUV Forum banner

Latest news on 2018 Tribeca

13K views 129 replies 15 participants last post by  06b9beca 
#1 · (Edited)
#3 ·
so Ascent is the name, weird as it looks exactly like a tribeca and very little like the concept 7 that they had.

By the looks of it, the car is finished and since it will be revealed at NYC in a couple of weeks its a no surprise.

What kinda does surprise me is how dated it already looks, maybe its just me but it screams 2012 not 2018 to me, maybe there is more that is masked but knowing subaru i doubt it.

#7 ·
Given crash test standards/pedestrian safety and the quest for better MPGs (aerodynamics) there really aren't that many ways to style a front end anymore.

My impression initially is that it's just a larger Outback in terms of styling. Nothing wrong with that, but remember people, this could just be a test mule, even though it looks well put together. We won't really know until they actually release it at an auto show and Subaru themselves say "this is the production model and this is what it's called."

#10 ·
No, I do not think so. Look also at the rocker panel. Then account for the length of the wheelbase and the overall footprint and this Subaru is not going on any but the smoothest of 4x4 trails. Unless, of course, they add adjustable suspension which I do not think they have any reason to do. I would still expect it to rock on dirt roads, including in bad weather.

A lifted FXT or H6OB like mine will remain the best Subie option for trails, I think. If they finally make a turbo XV, that one will rock with a lift.

#6 ·
short overhangs are definetely better imo as well, just not really possible with subaru designed AWD system, to move the wheels further in the rear might not be that difficult, the front would require a completely different drivetrain layout

#12 ·
I see Eyesight cameras. I am in an Outback now but loved my Tribeca. One thing that pushed me to go with the Outback was the technology advances. They just didn't spend any money on the Beca at the end of the run.

#13 ·
To me,it looks like an enlarged Tribeca.

SubieDan: Funny, while you noticed the Eyesight cameras, the first thing that caught my attention was the windshield wipers and the wiper arms. Hoping it takes normal wiper blades! Kinda weird that passenger side sticks up.

I see Subaru is finally using the blade style wipers, (at least on the passenger side anyways).

Also those are some serious tires. Yokohama Geolanders, but I can't tell which Geolanders though from these pictures.

#14 ·
Yeah baby this screams 2006....guess mine will triple in value now. :rolleyes:

#16 ·
imo right around fall next year values of tribeca will be so low it will be almost funny if it wasnt sad.
Everyone who owns 2012,13,14 will be trading them in and there will be plenty of them around with zero demand.
So if you plan on selling your car for any kind of money you gotta do it before Ascent rolls out,

#18 ·
they don't really look like mules to me, that is a production ready vehicle, my guess is they started testing them in the real world which they have to since the production is only a year away, just to make sure all the small details are worked out before regular folk gets their hands on them.
in this particular instance they may have been testing real world MPG, as the gas tank is taped up?

Subaru hasn't really been secretive about what it wants to give us, a big 7 passenger suv.
The real secret is drive train and from what I read that is a tightly kept secret until unveil at least.

#19 · (Edited)
As far as drive train, which is the big unknown, I wonder if the 3.6 and CVT will be considered? In my 2017 Outback the 3.6R is delivering consistent 28+mpg highway and 22mpg combined. I can't give a true city number as I live in an area without real city congestion.

The Outback has a 3.6 coupled to a high torque CVT with built in shift points. It drives like a standard automatic but delivers better fuel milage.

In fact on a recent round trip of 260 miles all highway driving I averaged 30.2 with the 3.6R.

#20 ·
subaru just confirmed that a new "concept" will be at NY next week,
With all the rumors floating around forums I bet it will be a new H4 engine and most likely new transmission, but to haul 5000lbs car and a tow rating of 5k it would be something totally new. One more week and we'll find out.

#21 ·
It is beyond me why people are still talking about an H4 for the 7 pax...but only a week or so is left!

I will bet an empty Coke can that it will be a new H6 with the big Q being whether it will be battery assisted or not.

#23 · (Edited)
Well, remember that the only plausible rumor we heard was a new H6? I forgot what made it plausible though since it was several months ago. Something said by someone from Subaru at some sort of forum in Asia? Cannot recall. But it was the only bit that seemed credible to me.

There is no way they will keep the same old H6 that debuted on the 2008 Tribeca. Just imagine the automotive commentary: "Subaru debuts a monstrous CUV featuring a revamped version of the durable but thirsty and underwhelming in a large vehicle engine from the failed 2008 Tribeca." Ain't happening, @tdelker , no way.

The Tribeca was criticized for size: Ascent is huge, check.
The Tribeca was criticized for engine performance to mpg ratio: will be checked, I am sure
The B9 was criticized for styling: this one is too subjective. I have hopes that it won't be as awful as the 2008 front re-design.

I bet they want this car to sell in the 40s range and I doubt they would have compromised any major aspect. Volvo took a big gamble with that hyper-stressed turbo 4 and the reviews in the auto journals have been exactly as expected: stressed out engine that will last...who knows how long....Plus I have no clue who Volvo's supposed target audience is these days. Seems like nobody in particular, maybe nostalgia is its only selling point.

#24 ·
I'm not trying to rain on the parade but I wonder if this new, larger Subaru will really do any better than the Tribeca. Sure, it will address some of the shortcomings of the smaller 7 passenger Tribeca but I wonder if the fan base really wants a Subaru that large or if it will pull more folks to the Subaru fold. Sometimes a car company developed a nitch market and it's difficult or impossible to change. Of course, time will tell. Just wondering out loud.

#27 · (Edited)
Considering how the new and larger, US-spec Forester and Outback have been doing since 2009/10, respectively, I fail to see why not. Subaru is no longer a niche brand at all. Even in Central AZ, where n/a H4 Subarus have no substantial advantage over the competition, Subarus are mainstream now, not a rare exception spotted once every few days.

The old Subaru "fan base," such as it was outside WRX/FXT, has long been rendered irrelevant. Had Subaru listened to the "old guard" customers, Subaru would have been nothing but a memory by now.

Do I like everything that Subaru has been doing? No, but I understand their logic and cannot argue with the results.

#25 ·
I agree it would be a large mistake for Subaru to keep the same H6, but... That's where my 0 dollar bet is going...

I hope your right, we're all just guessing...

I agree, it will be interesting to see if this will compete well against the Highlander and Pilot. That's what I will be choosing between. Good size 7 pax that can fit a good amount of gear, pull a light trailer (whitewater raft rig), and still be a daily driver. We'll see.

#30 · (Edited)
OK. So it is 'uge. Great. But I heard nothing of the powertrain.

OKAY: Subaru has said TURBO.

With the stress on thinking big during the presentation I wonder if that might be a smaller, turbo-charged H6.

If it is turbo 4, I am probably out. If it is turbo 6, I should be out since I do not want a turbo in this sort of vehicle but I might be tempted!

#32 ·
this all the details that they released, not much but wheels are 'uge for sure

Body size: (Length x Width x Height) 198.8 x 78.3 x 72.4 inches
Wheelbase: 117 inches
Tire Size: 275/50 R21
Seating Capacity: 7

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.