Squeak coming from front LCA bushing. Is it safe to drive on? - SB9T.com
SB9T.com

Go Back   SB9T.com > Tribeca Technical > Suspension & Braking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2017, 05:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Squeak coming from front LCA bushing. Is it safe to drive on?

Hi All,

My 2011 Tribeca just hit 55k a couple of weeks ago and I started to notice a squeaking coming from the front suspension. It occurs when I hit bumps, drive in hilly area's or when I'm coming to a stop. In an attempt to diagnose the problem I spray each bushing one at a time with WD40 and then waited to hear if the squeaking went away. Well after a couple of sprays in different areas I found that the front right lower control arm bushing (rear bushing) is the making the noise.

I priced out the bushing it's pretty cheap but as we all know getting to the bushing is where they get yah. I priced a new control arm from the dealer with bushings and it's close to $300 per side. My question is how long can I drive on this before I should be concerned? The WD40 stopped the squeaking for about 2 weeks but now it's back.

Thank you in advance for your advice

Jimmy
orbit417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2017, 06:47 AM   #2 (permalink)

find a shop that has a press, pretty much most of the shops do, and take your control arm in they will press out old and put new in, then install.

optionally if you are doing this by the curb and can't leave the car, you can buy poly bushings that are much easier to press in with a c clamp or wise,

to remove old bushing i generally take the arm off the car, then heat metal sleeve with torch once it starts smoking with good wise grips twist and pull it out, at this point take a hack saw (or sawzall if you are carefull) and cut the outer race of the bushing, i usually cut in two places but you have to be careful not to cut into the arm. once cut hit it with a punch/chisel and it will come out.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:30 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice Dodik.

I'm a bit nervous about doing suspension work. I don't have many tools (which is a great excuse to buy more :-) but every time I attempt to take apart suspension components I end of getting stuck on something that's rusted to heck and refuses to come off and then I end of wrenching the hell out of it till it gets striped. To add to all of this it's our only car and the wife needs it for work...

Out of curiosity, do you recall how long it took you to get the LCA off and back on the car? and did you run into any major problems where you needed to heat or cut something off?

Jimmy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2017, 11:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

subaruoutback.org has some good info on this. It is very similar.

Here's a how to on LCA removal: Gen 3 Lower Control Arm Replacement. - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

There was one on there were someone removed the bushing but I couldn't find it. He cut the rubber our, then used a dremel to weaken the metal bushing, and it came right out.

One issue that I remember reading about was that the frame was rusted, so when they tried to unbolt the center bolt in that pushing, it broke loose from the frame and just spun. They repaired it, but I can't remember how. That's a oh shoot moment there though. Or the ball joint removal. Whatever you do, don't pry it apart. that's not the problem, it never is, and it always breaks.
tdelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:51 AM   #5 (permalink)

PS You can drive on it for, like, ever. No worries, it will never fail to a point it's a danger as far as I've heard. Mine were cracked pretty much all around, but I never bothered to replace them because, well, kids...
tdelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 03:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks tdelker the link had tons of great tips and photo's. The guy mentioned that a newbie could finish the job in 3 hours which seems complete reasonable for a weekend repair. After some searching online I found another dealer who was selling a complete control arm with bushing for a little under $200 which I think is completely reasonable since it'll probably cost half that to purchase and press the bushing (speculating here). Plus I can use that additional time to make sure I get everything dissembled/assembled correctly and without destroying it.

Also I'm really glad to hear the squeaking won't really be a problem. The car seems to drive and handle just fine, it's just annoying and more so when passengers point it out.